PDA

View Full Version : Demo length?

mux
06-06-2004, 08:38 PM
Bah! Well, my upcoming gig got cancelled, leaving me all practiced up with no place to play. So, I figure why not work on a new demo CD?

So I've got ten tracks that I'm happy with, and could make a ten-track demo CD, but it got me to thinking - is that really necessary? Would I get my point across just as easily with, say, a six-track CD? A four-track CD? My last CD had eight tracks, and I thought it went over pretty well.

I'm thinking of spending some serious time on it (maybe taking this opportunity to learn "Tracktion", or even Ableton Live - but more likely just sticking with Logic) and getting a run of 500 or so CDs pressed, then hand them out at all the summer parties. How many tracks would you folks put on the CD?

eyes without a face
06-06-2004, 08:57 PM
as many as u got man! the more the better, especially if all the tracks are winners!

the labels may want to pick and choose thru the tracks then to form an ep

Col
06-06-2004, 09:24 PM
3 tracks, no more than 4. anymore than that, and its unlikley it will get listened to. remember labels get sent heaps of demos every week. and always start with your best track first.

eyes without a face
06-06-2004, 09:35 PM
cant say i agree with that, i understand labels get demos everyday and i get ur point, but i really think that alot of labels (especially those with label bosses who really want fresh talent) prefer as many tracks on the CD as possible. I know from personal experience when sending demo's out that when i get replys the labels have been thankful that ive sent so much stuff to them, and altho ive yet to have a release ive got a few things in teh pipeline and its 99% il have my first record out this year.

at the end of the day its up to the artist really how many u wanna put on it, but whats the point in only sending 3 or 4 tracks when u might have 6, 7, 8 really rocking tunes? theres no point spreading em out over a few CDs, just whack em all on one and get that baby sent off!

and might i add, if a label is cheeky enough to simply discard a demo because it has more than 3 or 4 tracks on it, then imo that doesnt sound like the sorta label id want to work with!

Jimfish
06-06-2004, 11:03 PM
it doesnt really matter m8.. if you are going to put that many on though just make sure all tracks are killers.. quality over quantity as allways.

i would say putt a minimum of 3 tracks on there though

DJZeMig_L
07-06-2004, 11:03 AM
Gotta go with col. If u r sending tracks 2 some1 u know well, then U r sure they're gonna listen. If u r sending 2 people u don't know stick to 4-5 tops!
I know this from personal experience.

Z

Basil Rush
07-06-2004, 02:05 PM
Best tracks first for sure. We've had some pretty off the wall stuff signed in the past though by including it as well ...

278d7e64a374de26f==