PDA

View Full Version : anyone use the mpc1000?

sash
09-06-2004, 12:44 AM
Ive been thinkin of gettin one. Justin Berkovi in an article he wrote in Future Music stated that u get a sound from the machine that you just can't get from any software sampler.

I'm constantly reading people talk about how fat the sounds r from this little machine. any thoughts?

mux
09-06-2004, 02:15 AM
Ehhhh. I don't think the MPC1000 sounds any better than a software sampler paired with a decent pro soundcard.

OTOH, I love the interface, love the convenience and stability, love the machine. You'd have to pry mine from my cold, dead fingers. :)

professor
09-06-2004, 02:07 PM
loving mine too. i've only had mine a few weeks, though, so i'm still working the kinks out. But aside from figuring out a new way to work, the little box roks. the interface is simple...and i really like the pads. The effects are okie-dokie, not too special. Step edit can be a little over-whelming. But I mostly record direct from the pads or my keyboard. It interacts with my MAC just fine making sample transfer simple. Overall it has really changed my workflow for the better. You can really get your musical ideas down right away, without the bog of a computer interface/mouse.

xfive
09-06-2004, 05:13 PM
Ehhhh. I don't think the MPC1000 sounds any better than a software sampler paired with a decent pro soundcard.

Actually there's something about the D/A convertors that Akai uses that makes the mpcs have a signature sound of sorts. (Punchy... clean.. etc) That's why some favor the akai sound over emu or vise versa.
Not to say you couldn't get a similar sound from a good sound card/soft sampler.. but it wouldn't be out of the box.

mux
09-06-2004, 06:20 PM
Actually there's something about the D/A convertors that Akai uses that makes the mpcs have a signature sound of sorts. (Punchy... clean.. etc) That's why some favor the akai sound over emu or vise versa.

Yes, this was definitely true ten or fifteen years ago, on the MPC-60 and early S-series vs. the Emu Emulator series vs. Yamaha samplers vs. Roland vs. Ensoniq, but the MPC2000/MPC2000XL/MPC1000/current stuff all use pretty off-the-shelf parts. I've heard many people talk about the difference in sound, but have yet to meet anyone who's actually A/B'd them who can tell the difference. :)

DJZeMig_L
09-06-2004, 06:31 PM
I'll go more for the filter/ processing sound of it... In our days it's all in the quality of the maths Algorit. (and CPU/ DSP speed Powermore) than on the conversions !

My 2 cents,

Z

xfive
09-06-2004, 06:46 PM
I'll go more for the filter/ processing sound of it... In our days it's all in the quality of the maths Algorit. (and CPU/ DSP speed Powermore) than on the conversions !
Actually you're completely right, its the Akai vs Emu _filters_ not the convertors.
Brain fart :)

DJZeMig_L
09-06-2004, 07:22 PM
lol... It used 2 b the converters... MPC 60 vs Emu SP12 Clash of the phatbeats titans! :P

Z

sash
09-06-2004, 11:48 PM
it's interesting how many people still talk about the old samplers like the mpc 60, s950, sp12's and their amazing sound.

I was just wonderin has anyone gone from software sampler to hardware sampler. Im interested to know the difference they had in not lookin at a computer screen. How did their work methods change?

professor
10-06-2004, 01:50 PM
I moved from mainly using Logic's exs24mkII to using the mpc almost entirely for sampling. it really simplified my workflow. The mpc is not as powerfull as Logic's sampler, but i found that getting bogged in the details of the exs had a detrimental effect.

sash
11-06-2004, 01:37 AM
whatever happened to the mpc-4000? That's supposed to be the bee's knees of hardware samplers though i only hear negative reports about the machine.
I know the software for it was shite in the products early developments. Is this still lingering on?

278d7e64a374de26f==