PDA

View Full Version : techno in 5.1....

sash
24-06-2005, 04:04 PM
I'm really excited about this and i hope it takes off.

Electronic music in general is going to sound amazing in 5.1 due to the creative freedom producers have. I read Richie Hawtin is workin on a 5.1 mix. That's gonna b interesting. Is 5.1 the future for techno?

TechMouse
24-06-2005, 04:06 PM
Is 5.1 the future for techno?

Not until they start installing it in clubs.

Or until the free party rigs start using it. (hehe)

... or they find a way to encode surround sound on vinyl.

I see many obstacles...

SlavikSvensk
24-06-2005, 04:13 PM
i'm excited for the possibilities 5.1 presents, no doubt. used to work at an electro-acoustic music festival, and some of the things people made in 5.1 were really mindblowing...

sash
24-06-2005, 04:20 PM
Q. If a dj were to mix vinyl on a 5.1 system, would only the front 2 speakers get the sound? Could he/she play a vinyl track and then mix over to a cd in 5.1?

dirty_bass
24-06-2005, 04:20 PM
can`t see many clubs getting 5.1 systems.
Most don`t even run in stereo.

tocsin
24-06-2005, 04:23 PM

Electronic music in general is going to sound amazing in 5.1 due to the creative freedom producers have. I read Richie Hawtin is workin on a 5.1 mix. That's gonna b interesting. Is 5.1 the future for techno?

Checkout Native Instrument's Absynth 3 if you haven't yet. You can make synth voices in 5 point sound and greater. Plus, there's an X-Y pad on the thing which allows you to do pan sweeps across that spectrum. It's pretty cool.

TechMouse
24-06-2005, 04:25 PM
Q. If a dj were to mix vinyl on a 5.1 system, would only the front 2 speakers get the sound? Could he/she play a vinyl track and then mix over to a cd in 5.1?

I would *guess* that Left and Right would go to both Front Left & Right and Back Left & Right.

TechMouse
can`t see many clubs getting 5.1 systems.
Most don`t even run in stereo.
It's a moot point unless you have a perfectly shaped venue, really.

SlavikSvensk

no you'd use a 5.1 simulation encoding like dolby pro logic...it would not be in 5.1, but it would do its best to simulate it. to my ear, though, stereo music recordings sound better in 5-channel stereo than pro logic...

for true 5.1, you'd need tracks recorded in 5.1 and an PA set up for it.

realistically, i think it's more realistic to except live PAs done in 5.1 than dj sets, at least in the short-term...

SlavikSvensk
24-06-2005, 04:26 PM

Checkout Native Instrument's Absynth 3 if you haven't yet. You can make synth voices in 5 point sound and greater. Plus, there's an X-Y pad on the thing which allows you to do pan sweeps across that spectrum. It's pretty cool.

cubase sx also supports 5.1...i have sl so no luck for me on this front... :(

sash
24-06-2005, 04:36 PM

That sounds nuts. :-)

sash
24-06-2005, 04:40 PM

I would *guess* that Left and Right would go to both Front Left & Right and Back Left & Right.

That would b cool cuz vinyl heads could continue mixin their records. I can't imagine what someone like Surgeon would do with 5.1. Now that would b a head fukk :-)

gunjack
24-06-2005, 05:47 PM
anybody remember this quartz joystick thing from back in the day? that shit was fun!!!! especially on a turbo sound rig in the shrine auditorium :twisted:

SlavikSvensk
24-06-2005, 08:04 PM

as far as i know, pro logic simulates 5.1 by first creating a 4-channel surround signal, then extracts sounds and places them on the 4 satellite speakers while playing the full signal through the center speaker. not bad with games or movies, but always sounds kind of crappy to me with music though...

Mindful
24-06-2005, 08:50 PM
You could allways make some techno for home listening in 5.1 that would be cool me thinks :cool:

audioinjection
24-06-2005, 09:26 PM
what sucks about surround sound is most people dont have proper surround sound systems in their house so they cant get the proper effect of 5.1........

SlavikSvensk
24-06-2005, 11:40 PM
what sucks about surround sound is most people dont have proper surround sound systems in their house so they cant get the proper effect of 5.1........

5.1, properly set up for a given room, is a wonderful, wonderful thing.

Joseph Isaac
26-06-2005, 12:50 AM
realistically, i think it's more realistic to except live PAs done in 5.1 than dj sets, at least in the short-term...

Agreed...Amon Tobin is doing a live pa in 5.1 currently.

SlavikSvensk
26-06-2005, 01:57 AM
Agreed...Amon Tobin is doing a live pa in 5.1 currently.

yeah i've heard it's pretty amazing...

g
29-06-2005, 07:17 PM
...I read Richie Hawtin is workin on a 5.1 mix. That's gonna b interesting.
it'll be out in september on cd and 5.1 high-def audio dvd. 70 minute and 96 minute versions, respectively. you should hear him talk about it - very excited.

Ritzi Lee
30-06-2005, 07:28 AM
i've dreamed about a double layered 12" silver disc, with the next generation decks and needles and stuff....

;)

Besides left / right stereo,
you need 3 extra channels for a surround sound.

278d7e64a374de26f==