PDA

View Full Version : My Mag Reviews August 2005!!!

MARKEG
18-07-2005, 11:39 PM
Let me know what you think about the releases. Finally after about 10 years of reviewing (hahaha) I've sent an email to the labels I've reviewed making them aware of them. And I've told them to check here for reactions too. So your input is totally needed here ;)

Techno Reviews – August 2005

WJ Henze
‘Ground Control’
(SUPERSONIC COMBUSTION)

Jorg Henze has recently quite literally reinvented his already driving techno sound and is now producing some of the best music in his field. This new release on his flagship Supersonic Combustion label is one intense work of art – all tracks playable and all tracks will rock the floor guaranteed. Almost like a cleaned up and more accessible Patrik Skoog, WJ Henze is one of my top tips to watch in 2005. M8/M8

Jamie Bissmire feat DJ Deeon
‘Slam’
(50HZ)

After several million releases in about six months, you may think Jamie Bissmire is on some super human form of Amphetamines, but quite simply put, he’s been working his bollocks off in the studio. Seriously now, those bollocks can do absolutely no wrong and he proudly puts them on show for this next release on his 50Hz label (which is a corker of a Chicago driven booty number featuring the delightful DJ Deeon). Lets hope those bollocks never stop producing the goods. M7/M8

Gaetano Parisio
‘Art 13’
(ART)

Now up to release thirteen, Gaetano’s Art series (of which there will be only twenty) is one for the collectors. And if you’re in this game for the long haul, there should be no question of making sure you have at least four copies of this, if only to ensure a handsome profit on Ebay in a few years time. Both sides are remarkably well produced neopolitan techno – one side being slightly darker than the other. Essential. M7/M8

Plan B
‘Chaos Designer’
(ANIMA)

Zip through this record quickly at the shop and it’s just plain wrong. You’d be absolutely insane to buy it. But climb inside a bass bin at your local techno joint accompanied by several scatily clad ladies from Scunthorpe and things take on a totally different meaning. The breakdown is almost like being raped by a serial pencil sharpener and as far as the bass line goes, well you better make sure your safely strapped in cause those ladies know just how to work a young mans behind. Insane indeed. M6/M8

Henze Vs Zaffarano
‘The Anima EP’
(RE-ACTIVE)

Henze is here again and this time with one of Germany’s biggest techno producers Marco Zaffarano (made famous by his early Harthouse releases) and the result is something that tears the eyes out of babies and feeds them to hungry wolves. The A-side of this EP is the one to check, bringing together both producers with exactly the sound you would expect from them. Beautiful pads, distant melodies but an aggressive and driving rhythm section. M8/M8

S-Tunes
‘You Get What You Give’
(COMPOSURE)

This is by far the best hard techno release of this month and it’s by S-Tunes aka Tadox, who recorded already for labels such as Future Frontier, Giant and Dwarf, Krack and Friendly Fire. If your idea of fun involves pigs udders, a razor blade, two peanuts and packet of rizzla, then you’re in for some serious party action. The production on here is world class and bearing in mind we haven’t heard much from this guy before, it’s an exciting prospect to think you could be in the presence of future greatness. Bring on the bacon. M8/M8

Dlux
‘Jazzy Groove’
(APE)

Dutchman Daan Duurkoop stomps onto the Ape label, after their recent killer Woody McBride release. This four track EP is summer sizzler, using tribal but skippy drum patterns to work the groove before an uplifting electric piano line rolls into action. This record has enormous house/techno crossover appeal, so if you’re into more music and less categories, give this one a shot. M6/M8

Alex Karakasis
‘Aeroplano’
(RHYTHM CONVERT)

Originally started by Marco Bailey, Redhead and Tom Hades as a showcase for new and upcoming talent, Rhythm Convert is already at the top of the tree for this style of club orientated party techno. This new Karakasis release is stunning, especially if you make it all the way to the breakdown where you better hold onto your hat because the rising aeroplane sound is gonna knock you off the dancefloor. M7/M8

System 23
‘One More Line’
(DUST SCIENCE)

Time and time again, Dust Science prove their allegiance to quality music, no matter what style of techno it is. And this is yet another one of those releases that deserve a major place in the collection, not only for it’s easy of play on the old 1210’s, but also for it’s clever changes and intelligent programming – something that makes good listen in a car environment too. This is the harder side to this labels tastes and could be spun amongst the likes of Liebing as a welcome break from the hum-drum or during more minimal moments as a total set stopper. M7/M8

The Pusher!Vs Leo Breanza
‘Galatians’
(ADVANCED)

You may get a smooth Fenton number and a rather appetizing Bacto remix on here, but the real mind boggler sits on the B1 in the form of ‘Einheit’. The kick drum is bigger than your mums fudge draw and be prepared for alien visits when break kicks in. Ade Fenton’s Advanced label is pushing all the right buttons at the moment. M7/M8

Various
‘Indecent Grooves Volume 1’
(INDECENT GROOVES)

Four different artists and four very different bombs for your box. The main A-side number is from UK techno pioneer Trevor Rockcliffe and it doesn’t fail to disappoint with the Fast Eddie ‘The Parties About To Begin’ sample. But my own personal favorite is ‘Disco Hurts’ from The Ignition Technician, one of their best tracks in a long time delving back to their dirty roots but also making some subtle changes to their more house-based sound. Joey Beltram on drugs. Clever stuff. M6/M8

Various
‘Glycerine’
(CARDIAC ARREST)

For this new release on the ridiculously hard Cardiac Arrest label, expect the unexpected to say the least. How the hell you’re supposed to mix this I’ll never know, but what I do know is it makes a really daft last record, especially when the almost stupid Croatian folk dancing music enters. On the B-side Slovenian promoter Daniel Gloomy pulls nasty faces and Crotian DJ Ogi dances around like the terminator for a truly satisfying B-side Jane Fonda-style workout. M6/M8

Pounding Grooves and RAW
‘Shark 07’
(SHARK)

Another backbreaking Shark outing, bringing together the power of Pounding Grooves and the funk of RAW. This is one of those chugging, driving tracks that just doesn’t give up until someone dies of heart failure on the floor. I especially love the way the ride cymbal comes in way to loud at the beginning and you can almost see the guys shit themselves in the studio it’s all corrected in a matter of milliseconds – proving there’s a rawness and excitement to techno that you just don’t get in other music. Love it. M7/M8

Alex Karakasis and Spiros Kaloumenos
‘G-Point’
(OMEGA AUDIO)

Again Alex Karakasis takes the Bailey sound to a completely different level, this time with his mate Spiros Kaloumenos helping at the controls. This sound is similar to Bailey at his best but there’s a plethora of interesting stuff going on to add to typically percussion based groove. The breakdown is full of so much groove that when the dancefloor hears it, you can be assured that there won’t be a single hand left in the room that isn’t in the air. M7/M8

Alucca and Chris Cowie
‘Mirage’
(F1)

Both Carl Taylor and UMEK on remix duties as well as a remix from the man himself Chris Cowie for this new F1 package, due out shortly. UMEK delivers a mix just as you’d expect –clean cut techno that leans more toward the funk and house end of the spectrum. But Carl goes down a slightly different avenue, introducing fresh sounds and atmospheres that really move things forward. There’s a progressive feel to the track once it gets going – definitely one for the after hours club. Looking forward to more from this label in the future. M6/M8

Ant
‘Squarewave Rebel’
(SUPERCONDUCTOR)

Ant forgot to take his false teeth out when he made the breakdown on this one, cause the way the sound just eats its way into your head is enough to make you choke. And if you do make it past the break, the force of the kick drum pounding on your stomach will mean last night’s curry is on it’s way up anyway. Either way, you’re in deep trouble here. Acid techno at its best. M8/M8

Ant
‘Homemade Discord’
(POWERTOOLS)

At first I was quite unsure about this, as the track changes really abruptly a quarter of the way through. But give it a chance and you’ll reap the benefits of a full-on crowd reaction in front of you that you probably weren’t expecting in the shop. As usual Ant comes up smelling of dogs testicles and raw sewage for this momentous new release on the ever-popular Powertools label. Ave it! M7/M8

Ben Camp
‘Atari House’
(SILVER PLANET)

Finally here’s a really sneaky one for you this month, one that may get missed by many techno punters. The B-side of this is an absolute monster of a record, using a breakbeat you’ll recognize from several of the biggest underground anthems in the genre. The bassline can get a bit much near the end, but that’s no problem for all the DJ’s out there as a simple mix out half-way through does the job beautifully. M7/M8

dan the acid man
19-07-2005, 12:27 AM
i agree with you on the ant releases, dust science and shark07.

and ive been buying quite a few alex karakasis tunes lately, he's doing some great stuff at the moment.

love the plan b review :lol:

killarava2day
19-07-2005, 07:09 AM
I totally agree with you re Henze.

The second release from this label is too a corker.

Still love playing Federation 50 as well.

MARK NEENAN
19-07-2005, 07:38 AM
Henze is amazing! :clap: Been buying loads of his stuff lately. That temper 10 by him is wicked! :clap:

Havn't heard ground control yet though?

Shark 7 & superconductor 2 are both rockin, agree with you there too!

Si the Sigh
20-07-2005, 03:34 PM
http://www.bangingtunes.com/img/user/posts/nadine_fan-****ing-tastic.jpg

Nice one Mark, good reviews. Deffo with you on the Shark & Superconductor releases as well. Awesome stuff! :clap:

Jay Sanders
20-07-2005, 03:52 PM
ha ha ha ha... nice one Si

killarava2day
31-07-2005, 06:14 AM
I think all Henze is done is just to finally add some punch with his basslines. Some of his past tracks have been awesome, except for just never sounding quite right, kick was flat and boring and that in turn never to the track to the next level. Maybe he's been sitting in with Burkat, cause Temper 10 sounds like a Burkat inspired bass line added in with Henze's rifts.

I'm certainly not complaining though.

koma
31-07-2005, 11:57 AM
Various
‘Glycerine’
(CARDIAC ARREST)

For this new release on the ridiculously hard Cardiac Arrest label, expect the unexpected to say the least. How the hell you’re supposed to mix this I’ll never know, but what I do know is it makes a really daft last record, especially when the almost stupid Croatian folk dancing music enters. On the B-side Slovenian promoter Daniel Gloomy pulls nasty faces and Crotian DJ Ogi dances around like the terminator for a truly satisfying B-side Jane Fonda-style workout. M6/M8

how did i miss this? :lol:

so, you didnt like Princess Diana from Maddox? :lol: haha lots of people here hate folk music, dont know from where did he pull this one out.. but, when he played that 2,5 months ago, I saw people leaving the dancefloor, even one girl came to him, screaming "wtf is this? how can u play that" :lol: on the other hand, there is quite a lot of peeps that will love it,I'm sure.. its not the first schranz folk cover track anyway..

matt-m-maddox
31-07-2005, 07:13 PM
Various
‘Glycerine’
(CARDIAC ARREST)

lol..In the beginning I just made this track for fun..because this vocals were so funny to me...but I never thinked that this track will be released...I played it a lot of times..and it is so fukcing cool!!!well,it is a hard track.. :cool:
well and about the party in croatia:
maybe some people are to serious abot this track... it is no political or any story behind this track...it is just a funny vocal and a hard ..very hard beat!! ;)

koma
31-07-2005, 07:30 PM
well and about the party in croatia:
maybe some people are to serious abot this track... it is no political or any story behind this track...it is just a funny vocal and a hard ..very hard beat!! ;)

yeah, like i told you: nevermind the bollocks, somebody dont like the vocals, somebody find it too hard etc.. but diana will be a hit for sure ;) djurdjevdan was, so... ;)

gunjack
01-08-2005, 08:48 PM
hey mark eg, can you post the arms 06 review you did?/? i cant find it on the m8 site at all!!! or here on boa!

278d7e64a374de26f==