PDA

View Full Version : Honestly guys, please support the Detroit Music Festival.

MARKEG
19-02-2006, 07:17 AM
I know alot of you don't live in the US, and I really appreciate it doesnt matter to alot of you.. and alot of you will never go over to the US, ever.... but really it does matter. It matters sooooooo much imho. Please support it.

http://www.blackoutaudio.co.uk/portal/index.php?name=PNphpBB2&file=viewtopic&t=46658

I've just written a letter on behalf of this site and you guys who love the music that was ORIGINALLY FROM DETROIT.

Anything you can do would be really good for the music imo. You would make the roots of the music stronger. Please do something. And post here if you do. We need to get something going here.

:)

echodek
19-02-2006, 10:55 AM
Well said Mark... It's all about Detroit. From Martha Reeves to Santiago Salazar... surely no other city has produced quite so much musical talent. If money were no object, I'm sure most of us would have already booked the flights!

The Overfiend
19-02-2006, 02:32 PM
If money were no object, I'm sure most of us would have already booked the flights!

Exactly.

jace
19-02-2006, 02:36 PM
I'll be there!

g
19-02-2006, 08:23 PM
i hope that this unnamed production company decides they can do it. and that the lineup(s) don't suffer too dramtically as a result.

but really if the fest took a year off that would be a good thing. we're already more than half done with february; today, there is no fest. maybe by may this year there will be one again. which would be, once again, three months to throw together what should have been in the making for at least the last 9. i think what kevin et al did last year was miraculous; 2 years of that is impossible and it is certainly not the recipe for financial success. most ppl on this board are in europe -- of course you aren't planning on going like you would maybe ILT or Sonar. you don't bank time and money on something that may or may not happen, esp when every year it gets closer to may not.

i'm a detroit native, someone for whom both sides of my family have spent generations in the area. i've been involved in techno in detroit since the late 80's; i used to work at Transmat, yadda yadda. my point is that i am not a festival nay-sayer nor someone who doesn't believe in the power of organized effort. on the contrary: the festival should go on and be on par with the Mutek and Sonar's of the world. hell, it should be the gold standard annual global recognition of techno and electronic music. but if you look at it from that perspective, three months, mountains of debt, and no clear direction does not a world-class event make. the fest needs to re-group. and NOT become another american Tiesto/Clear Channel bullshit automaton tasteless embarrassment.

and don't get me started on the current state of the city itself. the thing detroit is best at is being it's own worst enemy.

The Overfiend
19-02-2006, 08:50 PM
Well Said G!

Dustin Zahn
19-02-2006, 09:43 PM
1. like most said, if there was something most fans could do, I am sure they would (as would I).
2. the festival is in limbo every year. naturally, every year they wait until the last minute to try and pull it together and it does. I'm confident it will happen and it should be just as excellent as last year.

djshiva
19-02-2006, 11:13 PM
i hope that this unnamed production company decides they can do it. and that the lineup(s) don't suffer too dramtically as a result.

but really if the fest took a year off that would be a good thing. we're already more than half done with february; today, there is no fest. maybe by may this year there will be one again. which would be, once again, three months to throw together what should have been in the making for at least the last 9. i think what kevin et al did last year was miraculous; 2 years of that is impossible and it is certainly not the recipe for financial success. most ppl on this board are in europe -- of course you aren't planning on going like you would maybe ILT or Sonar. you don't bank time and money on something that may or may not happen, esp when every year it gets closer to may not.

i'm a detroit native, someone for whom both sides of my family have spent generations in the area. i've been involved in techno in detroit since the late 80's; i used to work at Transmat, yadda yadda. my point is that i am not a festival nay-sayer nor someone who doesn't believe in the power of organized effort. on the contrary: the festival should go on and be on par with the Mutek and Sonar's of the world. hell, it should be the gold standard annual global recognition of techno and electronic music. but if you look at it from that perspective, three months, mountains of debt, and no clear direction does not a world-class event make. the fest needs to re-group. and NOT become another american Tiesto/Clear Channel bullshit automaton tasteless embarrassment.

and don't get me started on the current state of the city itself. the thing detroit is best at is being it's own worst enemy.

yes. very well said. although a year without it would be a sad year for me. but i would like to see it on par with mutek and sonar and done professionally WITHOUT going for mainstream lineups. and that is gonna take much more effort than these last minute freakouts.

if the festivals have happened for the last few years with all the chaos and still been so fun, just imagine what it could be like with the planning done well. i can dream...

278d7e64a374de26f==