PDA

View Full Version : Intergroove & MCPS

TechMouse
10-11-2006, 12:07 PM
Just read that MCPS have got involved with the whole Intergroove thing...

Just heard from the receivers that the MCPS have contacted the receivers and have stopped ANY stock leaving the Intergroove Warehouse. This is until they have had time to check that all moneis owed for licenses to the MCPS have been paid. So labels that own the stock and pay the MCPS just after release will now have to pay in full for records that they will never see the money for as the receiver will be taking it, in other words if you have 1000 records and Intergroove has sold them you will have to pay all money due even if you will never get the stock or money. Checking the stock to see if MCPS is due will take several weeks. This is going to afect a lot of people...

This is from Functional Biff, if anyone knows who that is.

Just a heads up for anyone who might have stuff still there - if any of your artists are MCPS registered you might want to ask them nicely to not put a claim in just yet.

Anyone know why MCPS work from manufactured product rather than sold product? Seems rather silly to me...

Miromiric
10-11-2006, 12:11 PM
i heard pure plastic went out of business aswell recently? am not 100% sure though.
who is left now, besides veto and triple, technowise ofcourse?

rhythmtech
10-11-2006, 12:32 PM
amato, jedeye & pat hurleys dist.. plus a few others...

y did SRD stop doin techno?

Miromiric
10-11-2006, 12:34 PM
never heard of those. what kind of music is it?

rhythmtech
10-11-2006, 12:55 PM
they used to look after all the london acid labels back in the 90's

dan the acid man
10-11-2006, 02:07 PM
amato are pretty varied i think

audioinjection
10-11-2006, 05:06 PM
doesn't Neuton distro alot of techno?

Martin Dust
11-11-2006, 07:02 AM
Anyone know why MCPS work from manufactured product rather than sold product? Seems rather silly to me...

It helps stop bootlegs and ensures the artist gets paid, although big labels only pay on items sold not manufactured.

snooch
11-11-2006, 02:59 PM

Yeah, I get promos from them all the time.

massplanck
12-11-2006, 01:22 AM
who gives a shit about all of this?. life moves on.

The Overfiend
12-11-2006, 05:59 PM
who gives a shit about all of this?. life moves on.

People involved in the business aspect of this industry.
Production. Sales. Distribution. Customers.

TechMouse
13-11-2006, 02:10 PM
It helps stop bootlegs and ensures the artist gets paid, although big labels only pay on items sold not manufactured.
Exactly, it seems almost like the rule is there to crap on the little guys.

Martin Dust
13-11-2006, 11:01 PM

There's no almost about it, there is. They don't expect the big guys to rip bootlegs I guess.

crime
14-11-2006, 07:15 AM

and such is life.. the important thing if you are an artist is to join the relevent collection agency or get a publisher (better).. because MPCS (GEMA in germany/ ASCAP in USA) will take this money from the label whether you are a member or not....

TechMouse
14-11-2006, 11:32 AM
and such is life.. the important thing if you are an artist is to join the relevent collection agency or get a publisher (better).. because MPCS (GEMA in germany/ ASCAP in USA) will take this money from the label whether you are a member or not....
Oh, I quite agree - you should definitely register and get your slice of the pie.

But in this case it seems that the MCPS is going to take money from the labels to cover physical copies that the labels will not be able to recover because they will go to the liquidators handling the Intergroove case.

Sadly there's very little legal precedent here, and since the MCPS is pwn3d by the bigger labels the little guys don't really have much of a chance.

I think Biff is liasing with the MCPS officer who is dealing with the case.

Does this affect anyone? If so, I'll try and pass on information.

Sunil
14-11-2006, 11:53 AM
amato, jedeye & pat hurleys dist.. plus a few others...

y did SRD stop doin techno?

SRD mainly only carry certain Neuton stuff like B-Pitch, Tresor and others - and even at that they can be a bit inconsistent, not all Tresor releases for instance, make their way to SRD. They will tend to just do selected ones now depending on what way they work it with Neuton. SRD were exclusive UK and Ireland distribution for some of those type of labels but I'm not sure that that arrangement is still in place.

SRD's main 'dance' kind of stuff is grime, dubstep and of course drum n' bass, which is their main thing. They also do a bit of electronica and other random bits. They took on Ai last year I think, which is a definite good addition to their roster though.

@ Miro - Pure Plastic is finished.

crime
14-11-2006, 12:37 PM
But in this case it seems that the MCPS is going to take money from the labels to cover physical copies that the labels will not be able to recover because they will go to the liquidators handling the Intergroove case.

The MCPS's argument will be that this money should have been paid before the records were pressed, unfair, I know, but unfortunately this is the way it works with vinyl, you are supposed to have MCPS licences before you press any records, and it has always been on amounts pressed, not sold...

Looking at these tactics by MCPS and other things I've seen GEMA do recently, I'm imagining we're starting to see these organisations responding to falling vinyl sales by coming down really hard about mechanical licencing issues.. Totally unfair to the small labels I know, but the way it is.. in some ways I could see this issue being the real killer for small independant vinyl labels...

Martin Dust
19-11-2006, 11:49 AM

They don't collect if the artist isn't a member.

Martin Dust
19-11-2006, 11:52 AM
There are a lot of people with claims in, so I wouldn't worry so much about the MCPS. I'd worry about the Record Industry pressing plant who have a massive claim in. As 90% of their stock was pressed there, you can guess where the stock is going to end up.

If you had a P&D, I'd forget about the stock they are holding and get read for a bill if you owed Intergroove anything.

crime
20-11-2006, 07:04 AM
They don't collect if the artist isn't a member.

Maybe not MCPS, but GEMA in germany has collected money from Zinch for the track I did for them even though I wasn't a GEMA member.. Maybe this is because GEMA had a reciprocal aggrement with my publisher, but a bit rough on Zinch considering I thought there would be no problem with them having to pay mechanical royalties...

Martin Dust
20-11-2006, 07:53 PM
Maybe not MCPS, but GEMA in germany has collected money from Zinch for the track I did for them even though I wasn't a GEMA member.. Maybe this is because GEMA had a reciprocal aggrement with my publisher, but a bit rough on Zinch considering I thought there would be no problem with them having to pay mechanical royalties...

If you have a publishing deal then that's the reason it got collected. I know loads of artists who run their own labels that won't join the MCPS because it means paying them to pay themselves.

BRADLEE
20-11-2006, 09:49 PM

I thought Neuton and Triple Vision are one in the same?

crime
22-11-2006, 10:00 AM
If you have a publishing deal then that's the reason it got collected. I know loads of artists who run their own labels that won't join the MCPS because it means paying them to pay themselves.

if you have a deal with a publisher as appose to MCPS or GEMA etc, you can at least do a deal with them where it says on paper that you paid your mechanicals without any money changing hands i.e. you say that you paid him, he says that he recieved the money and then paid it back to you on your royalty statement...

Martin Dust
22-11-2006, 07:30 PM
if you have a deal with a publisher as appose to MCPS or GEMA etc, you can at least do a deal with them where it says on paper that you paid your mechanicals without any money changing hands i.e. you say that you paid him, he says that he recieved the money and then paid it back to you on your royalty statement...

I don't know a publisher that would do that because it's how they get paid but do know what you mean but what the **** do you put on your tax bill :)

crime
23-11-2006, 08:37 AM
I don't know a publisher that would do that because it's how they get paid but do know what you mean but what the **** do you put on your tax bill :)

my publisher pays me in advance and doesn't take commision for releases on their artists own labels, and both payments would be written off as business expenses on tax bills...

crime
23-11-2006, 08:42 AM
my publisher pays me in advance and doesn't take commision for releases on their artists own labels, and both payments would be written off as business expenses on tax bills...

my point being that he would invoice me for the mechanicals of a release on my own label, take it out of my publishing advance, not take comission as he doesn't take commision on releases by writers releasing on their own labels, and then pay it back to me on my publishing statment.. problem solved...;)

Martin Dust
23-11-2006, 11:13 PM
my point being that he would invoice me for the mechanicals of a release on my own label, take it out of my publishing advance, not take comission as he doesn't take commision on releases by writers releasing on their own labels, and then pay it back to me on my publishing statment.. problem solved...;)

Which ever way, he's still taking the money tho...

crime
24-11-2006, 03:36 PM
Which ever way, he's still taking the money tho...

I said: he doesn't take commision on releases by writers releasing on their own labels

you need mechanical licences to press with some pressing plants, and it's good for keeping GEMA or MCPS off your back when everything is in order..

so how is he taking the money then Martin if he takes no commision by writers releasing on their own labels?

Martin Dust
24-11-2006, 09:06 PM
I thought you said he takes it out of your advance, anyway fancy a pint Mark?

crime
24-11-2006, 09:58 PM
invoice me for the mechanicals of a release on my own label, take it out of my publishing advance, not take comission as he doesn't take commision on releases by writers releasing on their own labels, and then pay it back to me on my publishing statment

answer your question?????

just seemed to me you were answering for the sake of answering, not because you actually had anything to add... I really don't know why I'm even bothering to answer to be honest....

crime
24-11-2006, 10:04 PM
actually I know the reason for answering, just to let anyone know what the actual facts of the matter are if you want to get a publishing deal, and to know that getting a publishing deal isn't neccesarily going to rip you off, but actually will put money in your pocket if you are carefull about getting the right deal..

Martin Dust
25-11-2006, 08:27 AM
answer your question?????

just seemed to me you were answering for the sake of answering, not because you actually had anything to add... I really don't know why I'm even bothering to answer to be honest....

Not at all, I'm not here to score points, just that I've never heard of a publishing deal like yours, that's all Mark. And my other point was regardless of the point of payment you still end up paying because thats how business works. Nothing more.

278d7e64a374de26f==