PDA

View Full Version : Origins of Techno

Aratron
20-07-2008, 11:21 PM
http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/entertainment/7512072.stm

check out the links to delia derbyshires (she created the dr who theme) experimental dance track from 1969.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/uk/2669735.stm

Daphne Oram 'pioneer of techno'

Smear
21-07-2008, 12:50 AM
It's not from 1969. Plus this has been posted already. In fact every other forum seems to have double-posters of this one story, haha.

Aratron
22-07-2008, 12:42 PM
It's not from 1969. Plus this has been posted already. In fact every other forum seems to have double-posters of this one story, haha.

i'll just go and shoot myself

qUE
27-07-2008, 01:18 AM
Right before you all shoot me down in flames ;)

I know this subject is pedantic and really who does really give a shit where Techno comes from, it's here and it's been here for a very long time and probably will be when this forum is long gone and we're all long gone.

I've heard soo many arguments about this and really as far as I've done a little bit of research into this I hope my opinions are of some value, probably not, but then again, like it really matters, I'm drunk, I spout bullshit, I admit that, please bare with me :)

Now I'm not going to steal the crown from the Americans because the earlier you go with this genre, the cagier it gets when who did what and when.

I personally think that at the end of the day it depends on what context as always.

Right anyway (I wish I had a spell check, I'm pissed, you know the score :)
Plus I'm having to write this on my coffee table (Yes it's a PC, I'm sad, etc.)

I've "borrowed" some MP3 albums of some really seriously old recordings of stuff and it's hard to define whether I'm just being really far fetched with a genre.

Aparently one of Aphex Twin's favourite albums (from what I've been told) maybe a contender;

Raymond Scott's: Manhatten Research

The tune which goes 1...2...3 (You'll know what I mean) is a pretty mad rythmic track, very very musically similar to "Techno" in my eyes, and it could possibly be before the 50s considering that album was tracks selected between the 193xs and 195xs. It was with pretty much what is a primitive sequencer, a spinning rod connecting a voltage supply to each "sound" generator. Which tbh is a very clever and simple solution to an era with out computer sequnencers.

In terms of coining the term Techno, when common media acceptance is of Juan Atkins, Derek May and Juan Atkins coining it (tbh, they really wouldn't care if I dashed this, they've probably made a huge amout of money from it already).

Yellow Magic Orchestra released an album called Technodelic in 1981, unless they coined the term in 1980 or before, I would assume the term was used far before then.

So at the moment in my eyes, Raymond Scott is the creator and Yellow Magic Orchestra is possibly the coiner.

Okay, so it's probably quite a good cop out to say humans were beating things since when they existed. But they certainly wern't banging it out on electrical gadgets :)

If you can go any further back I'd be corrected.
I'd bow to your posted thoughts as always.

qUE

P.S. Ah I forgot to say, score timing is a bitch, afaik it can be streched to any timing so 4/4 is not really a genre defining system much the same as key/scale as I later found out from a dear friend of mine ;)

G-BO
27-07-2008, 04:24 PM
the term was also coined in alvin toffler's the third wave, as he talks about the techno-sphere, where this theory of rise of the machines and creating an industrial graveyard was prominent in detroit with and had an affect on the people and the music that came from it, in hi tech soul jaun atkins mentions alvin toffler's work and states thats were the word came from

drift9
27-07-2008, 06:33 PM
http://www.outlar.com/images/artists/JuanAtkins1.jpg

TechMouse
27-07-2008, 06:46 PM
Okay, so it's probably quite a good cop out to say humans were beating things since when they existed. But they certainly wern't banging it out on electrical gadgets :)
Is the sound source that important though?

I mean, in the latter half of the last century I think it was. Electronic music and recording technology was developing at astonishing rates and the sounds were very new. The characteristic noise of an electric guitar, a drum machine or an analogue synth was such a breath of fresh air that whole subcultures built around them.

Then sampling came along and pushed us back towards exploiting old sounds and that became the fresh sound.

These days I think the playing field is much more level. Who cares where the sounds come from so long as they're inventive, different and (most importantly) sound good.

If someone can throw together a fierce tune using sticks, tin cans and something to record it on then kudos to them.

SlavikSvensk
28-07-2008, 12:02 AM
techno comes from detroit. it had antecedents, like kraftwerk, giorgio moroder, etc. these guys were influenced by electro-acoustic composers like steve reich, who was doing stuff that formed the bases of much of the conceptual ideas in techno back in the 1950s. gamelan has rhythmic and melodic patterns that heavily influenced steve reich. blah blah blah all the way back to the first caveman to bang a bone on a rock in roughly metered time.

Jay Pace
28-07-2008, 08:02 PM
http://www.homestead.com/flowstate/files/spartacus.gif

Technologic
16-08-2008, 05:24 PM
I worte a piece on this a while back.

The best article i found for my research was called "Machine Soul - A history Of Techno" by a guy called John Savage.

You can read the article here...

http://music.hyperreal.org/library/machine_soul.html

DirtyHard
27-08-2008, 12:14 PM
techno comes from my heart i formed it in back in the day, dragons den was not around then, so i could not bring my idea anywhere, and get cash to market it . so folk stole my techno idea and are making millions

stjohn
27-08-2008, 02:15 PM
techno comes from detroit. it had antecedents, like kraftwerk, giorgio moroder, etc. these guys were influenced by electro-acoustic composers like steve reich, who was doing stuff that formed the bases of much of the conceptual ideas in techno back in the 1950s. gamelan has rhythmic and melodic patterns that heavily influenced steve reich. blah blah blah all the way back to the first caveman to bang a bone on a rock in roughly metered time.

exactly... it just keeps going....

techno was invented when i heard it first!!! that all i care about. juan who? dr. what? 3-oh whatnow?

clubsynthetic
27-08-2008, 02:32 PM
if we are talking about groove then i think techno came from whichever african started playing the bongos first!

DannyBlack
27-08-2008, 04:34 PM
Techno is music, music has been with man forever and has evolved with us. In a sense, it has always been there.

clubsynthetic
27-08-2008, 10:27 PM
the origin of techno is obviously from the loudspeaker

DannyBlack
28-08-2008, 12:04 PM
Wouldn't it be from the vinyl?

clubsynthetic
28-08-2008, 12:22 PM
not if its mp3 :D

xes
28-08-2008, 02:22 PM
it started about,aproximatly
one day in 10,000 BC
2 sticks from an ordinary tree
were banged together hypnoticly
they tapped their toes eyes opened wide
then techno spread from trible to tribe
techno's been here throughout time
it lives,it breathes and now it thrives.
:)

Aratron
28-08-2008, 05:45 PM
it started about,aproximatly
one day in 10,000 BC
:)

or maybe 350 million B.C??:wink:

clubsynthetic
28-08-2008, 08:45 PM
before time begun

Aratron
28-08-2008, 09:38 PM