PDA

View Full Version : SUBWOOFERS & TRUE SOUND

John Vella
15-04-2004, 12:47 PM
I just got a sub to assist my monitors....

Any tips on how to get a good balance with my exsisting studio monitors and my new sub?

I obviously don't want the sub to falsely represent my mixes but I still want some boom if u know what I mean.... :twisted:

Thanks for any help.

-jOHNNY

dirty_bass
15-04-2004, 12:49 PM
Only use sub boxes as an occasional reference, they are useless for nearfield monitoring. You probably would have been better off saving your money for beter monitors.

DJZeMig_L
15-04-2004, 01:54 PM
:doh:

Z

John Vella
15-04-2004, 03:32 PM
I already have 2 Alesis M1 Actives that are doing the job for now...

I guess if Ze MigL doesn't understand my question I'm in trouble. :lol:

-j

xfive
15-04-2004, 03:43 PM
I had to adjust the low end eq curve on my monitors when I added the matching sub because even though theres a lo-pass on the sub, there was still too much bass coming out of the monitors. I think it was as little as -2db.... but after doing this the mix was much more dead-on.
I've got the Yorkville YSM1P's and matching YSS1 sub.

It really depends on how your rig sounds tho.. :)

-Chris

DJZeMig_L
15-04-2004, 04:02 PM
Nah man it's hard enought getting yer ears formated 2 yer nearfields let alone adding a sub... I guess it's a matter of trial n error... go to the genelec webpage and download theire tests...

also do a google search for something like "bass reprodution test" etc...

That should giv' ya a little help!!

Don't forget most clubs don't even reach as low as the 40hz.

Z

FILTERZ
16-04-2004, 07:12 PM
Nah man it's hard enought getting yer ears formated 2 yer nearfields let alone adding a sub... I guess it's a matter of trial n error... go to the genelec webpage and download theire tests...

also do a google search for something like "bass reprodution test" etc...

That should giv' ya a little help!!

Don't forget most clubs don't even reach as low as the 40hz.

Z

i get the feeling your not to keen on subs , i have one and i know what you mean though, so hard to get a good balance , best just to use them to check the very low end occaisonally, they are badly addictive though bass yum yum

FILTERZ
16-04-2004, 07:15 PM
mores the pity that they dont get down to 20 , mmmmmmmmmmmm
drum and bass guy dillinger has a rig that properly gets down to 19 hz
yium yum ,lets start a campaign for more deep bass, anyone :protest:

dirty_bass
16-04-2004, 11:54 PM
BASS BASS BASS BASS BASS BASS BASS BASS BASS BASS BASS BASS BASS BASS BASS BASS BASS BASS BASS BASS BASS BASS BASS BASS BASS BASS BASS BASS BASS BASS BASS BASS BASS BASS BASS BASS BASS BASS BASS BASS BASS BASS BASS BASS BASS BASS BASS BASS BASS BASS BASS BASS BASS BASS BASS BASS BASS BASS BASS BASS BASS BASS BASS BASS BASS BASS BASS BASS BASS BASS BASS BASS BASS BASS BASS BASS BASS BASS BASS BASS BASS BASS BASS BASS BASS BASS BASS BASS BASS BASS BASS BASS BASS BASS BASS BASS BASS BASS BASS BASS BASS BASS BASS BASS BASS BASS BASS BASS BASS BASS BASS BASS BASS BASS BASS BASS BASS BASS BASS BASS BASS BASS BASS BASS BASS BASS BASS BASS BASS BASS BASS BASS BASS BASS BASS BASS BASS BASS BASS BASS BASS BASS BASS

DJZeMig_L
17-04-2004, 12:22 AM
Get a massive fan and sync it with midi clock ... instant sub-sub bass! ;)

:rambo:

Z

mux
17-04-2004, 04:58 AM
I heard that subs that can go down that low (19hz) have to be servo-controlled. I don't know that much about it though.

I'm currently reading up on http://www.diysubwoofers.org/, trying to get some ideas. I'm pretty handy with a soldering iron, and would looooooove to have 19hz bass in the house... tho definitely not in the studio, I'm sure it'd throw off my monitoring setup...

DJZeMig_L
17-04-2004, 02:06 PM
yep .. u said it!

Z

278d7e64a374de26f==