PDA

View Full Version : Controller Keyboard

jc808
15-04-2004, 06:20 PM
Theoretically, could i use an old MIDI Synth (eg a Korg M1) as a MIDI controller, or would a newer dedicated Standalone MIDI controller keyboard do the job significantly better

Just curious as to your thoughts on this people, as i intend to buy a controller keyboard, but, being the dirty cheapskate that I am, wondered if an M1/ Juno 106/ similar ol' MIDI synth off loot for c200 squid would do the job no probs

mux
15-04-2004, 06:55 PM
My favourite MIDI controller *ever* was a Roland Alpha Juno-2. IMHO, it had the perfect wieght to the keys, a really great "feel", and aftertouch. The fact that it was also an awesome synthesizer didn't detract from it being an awesome MIDI controller at all.

I sold that synth to fund the purchase of a Zoom SampleTrak ST-224. *slaps forehead repeatedly* STUPID, STUPID, STUPID!

A friend uses his Kurzweil K2000 exclusively as a MIDI controller these days - he works entirely in software, but given what a K2000 is worth on the used market, it makes zero sense for him to sell it to buy a proper MIDI controller - all he'd save is a little bit of space!

I'm actually shopping for a MIDI controller kb right now; interested in hearing other folks recommendations...

DJZeMig_L
15-04-2004, 07:42 PM
the main difference would b knob assigning but that also depends a bit on the program (or u could try and find a 3rd party plug in that converts a certain Cc 2 another in realtime, bla bla... or use the enviorments in logic or even the input transformer in cubase... )... so if u like programing no prob. if u r a lazyer boyeh! ;)

Z

mux
15-04-2004, 08:08 PM
(or u could try and find a 3rd party plug in that converts a certain Cc 2 another in realtime, bla bla...

Bome's MIDI Translator. Rules. Can translate and incoming MIDI message into any other MIDI message - use your Juno-106 sliders to generate CC's, f'rinstance. It'll even translate incoming MIDI messages into local keystrokes, so you could control software with MIDI. :shock: Can you say MIDI-sync'd visuals?

http://www.bome.com/midi/translator/

Postcardware, too.

DJZeMig_L
15-04-2004, 08:22 PM
U DA MAN!?!? :)

Z

jc808
16-04-2004, 01:23 PM
ooooh, thanks, i was actually looking at junos for c£250gbp on loot...............:)

278d7e64a374de26f==