PDA

View Full Version : how many of you have a dedicated music pc?

g
15-04-2004, 11:05 PM
or does your music box go online, do email, make breakfast, etc?
if one machine do you use multiple OS installs, partitions..?

i'm sure it would be better if my music pc never did anything else, just trying to determine how bad it'll be to ignore that... maybe out of necessity

audioinjection
15-04-2004, 11:07 PM
my computer at home is strictly for music, i use the internet at work hehe

jake
15-04-2004, 11:19 PM
ive heard there is a 10-20% processor overhead for going on a network, local or otherwise. that was a long time ago though and its prolly less now. with windows... spyware, bad registry and viruses can play a role as well in making your system slow. i just use my pc for downloading, games and trying out acid or fruity loops but if i used it seriously i wouldnt put it online... or at least refrain from installing too many programs, using outlook express, internet explorer and any p2p apps.

on my mac i dont worry about anything.. it just gets the job done :)

Komplex
15-04-2004, 11:56 PM
Two sets of Xp on the one computer, partitioned. Its not as neat as I'd like it to be but it keeps all the nasties away from the music partition.

g
16-04-2004, 12:01 AM
Two sets of Xp on the one computer, partitioned. Its not as neat as I'd like it to be but it keeps all the nasties away from the music partition.
that's actually what i've been leaning toward. not as neat - what do you mean? just about having to reboot to switch?

Komplex
16-04-2004, 12:09 AM
Im just a neat freak. I'd prefer to have two seperate computers (with equal power) and keep everything totally seperate and not have anything internet related (including hardware) near the music pc.

DJZeMig_L
16-04-2004, 01:05 AM
xp also does a mega -weird thing... install cubase in one system and a different drive, now go into the other system which in in another partition... go the the explorer, find the cubase folder on the other particion (which was installed into a different xp) and double click ...

Cubase runs no prob!! :shock: .... Once i did this by accident and was !?!?!??!?!?! :rambo: :doh: :dontevengothere: :crackup:

My home pc is netless... this one is a kamasutra of aplications and uses!

Z

g
16-04-2004, 01:11 AM
that is very strange... (cubase)

any other for-or-against votes re 2 xp installs?

Antinoise
16-04-2004, 04:48 AM
I run a design company so I have two computers deticated to graphics.. one to audio. Even though my audio computer is tailored 100% to audio settings I still have a few graphic apps installed on it for when I need to have all 3 machines rendering at once. It does not affect its abbility to do audio in any way. Likewise.. one of my graphic computers has a good sound card and I have it set up so that I can do a cubase system link for intense projects. (Although I rarley do)... All machines are networked and can access the net.

gustavo
16-04-2004, 05:46 PM
1 PC 4 DAW

1 PC 4 NET

FILTERZ
16-04-2004, 06:54 PM
I Have a dedicated music pc laptop (toshiba) which has nothing but music software on and does not go anywhere near the www, i have another laptop for fu***G around on net and stuff

Basil Rush
17-04-2004, 01:42 PM
a pc and a mac, both networked so files can be transferred from one to the other, just wish i could send midi down the same wire ... use the net mostly on the pc and do most sequencing on the mac.

azerom04
17-04-2004, 08:56 PM
a pc and a mac, both networked so files can be transferred from one to the other, just wish i could send midi down the same wire ... use the net mostly on the pc and do most sequencing on the mac.

There is a program called midi over lan, never used it before and have no idea if it works for mac.
There is also FXteleport which enables you use vst instruments and effects over a lan as if they are on the host machine. Once again not used it yet, but i will do once my lan is setup.

Kevin Gorman
17-04-2004, 09:16 PM
I definitly have a computer just for production. No games, not even the windows xp ones like solitare.

mux
17-04-2004, 10:13 PM
Heh - *sort* of. I have one machine, an Athlon 2500+, that dual boots between work (Fedora Linux) and studio (Windows XP). I don't install anything on the Windows side; got Logic and Soundforge, SEQ-303 and the Nord Modular Editor, and that's about it. The Linux side of things is where everything really happens - all my email, websurfing, chat, messaging, etc happen over there.

So far, XP has been pretty impressively stable. :)

aquatic mammal
20-04-2004, 07:59 PM
since i got the bird her own machine, mine is strictly offline and happy as a pig in uniform

278d7e64a374de26f==