PDA

View Full Version : native instruments Battery?

hiroprotagonist
22-04-2004, 02:42 PM
does anyone use this? i recently got a copy and started fooling around with it before i moved and as of a month ago i really havent been able to work any more with it.
how would you incorporate this into your studio? what are some cool functions you have used? is this better for recording or playing live? better yet can i use it to play live and trigger the samples through midi or just my laptop? or would something like ableton be better suited for that?

-hiro

TechMouse
22-04-2004, 04:58 PM
I've been using it for production.

Obviously, you could achieve the same (or similar) results using something like Kontakt, but I just find Battery much more intuitive for working with drum sounds.

Also, the layering functions look quite cool - though I never get round to using them.

hiroprotagonist
23-04-2004, 01:45 PM
so you would say using battery is mostly for drum pattern programming? or is it to fine tune a drum SOUND. im really in the dark about this program. if you have time could you take me through a simple session in battery. just tell me what you use it for on a simple project thats all :) thanks

BloodStar
23-04-2004, 02:02 PM
I'm using Battery aswell. It's very good for building drums and rhythms as it is a drum machine,. :lol:
You can route out the samples thru 8mono and 16stereo outs., if I'm wrong,please correct.
there are no filters on it so for finetuning is better Kontakt or similar.
Nowadays I'm using this for durms and also Linplug RM IV which is a little bit different,,but it's not just a drum machine but also drum synth all in one box, has some onboard filters and very intuitive layout working with it is real joy for me.. If it would haveits own sequencer it would be the perfect machine for drums but even it doesn't have it I like to work with it a lot and now i'm 50:50 between Battery and RM IV.

TechMouse
23-04-2004, 02:52 PM
so you would say using battery is mostly for drum pattern programming? or is it to fine tune a drum SOUND. im really in the dark about this program. if you have time could you take me through a simple session in battery. just tell me what you use it for on a simple project thats all :) thanks

What I use it for is to set up little drum kits to create parts with.

So, for example, you might load a couple of kicks, a few snares, some hats, then some more random noises into different cells.

First order of business is to set start points for each sample. Some drum samples are very badly edited, and have a bit of silence at the beginning.

I'd then set an envelope for some of the sounds... for example if I wanted them to suddenly stop playing when they recieve a MIDI-off message, or maybe if I wanted to make a sound a bit tighter.

Then set up mute groups... this lets you make certain groups of noises mutually exclusive - particularly useful for open / closed hats etc.

Finally, route different samples out to different output channels... (you can set up whatever combination of mono / stereo outs you want in the options). By doing this you can choose which drums get processed together etc.

Then you can go and start layering up MIDI parts.

By putting in the time making a decent kit in the first place, you make it a lot easier for yourself to play around with your keyboard when creating loops.

DJ Z
24-04-2004, 09:05 AM
Battery is cool... :cool:
I'm one of those hardware guys,but battery is the first drum module that satisfied my criteria with outstanding quality of sound and samples..
I use it alot these days..here's one of the tracks where I used it:
http://www.noisedestruction.com/download/audioroom/manicure.mp3

yorkie
26-04-2004, 11:48 AM
battery is ace!!

yorkie
26-04-2004, 11:50 AM
Its good to use it for triggering some random samples i find...

e.g.

If you create a sweet sounding drum loop with the standard drum sounds that you get with battery and then replace these sounds with samples of your own you can create some really good patterns that sound well different

hiroprotagonist
27-04-2004, 10:47 AM
so i can use battery as a drum sequencer?

yorkie
27-04-2004, 12:38 PM
thats what it is!!! a drum sequencer :roll:

hiroprotagonist
27-04-2004, 01:25 PM
........ah......that explains it then...i think im gonna have to get cracking on this one. does anyone have alink to a manual by any chance ;)
thanks for the info you guys are :clap:
-hiro

DJZeMig_L
27-04-2004, 01:35 PM
errr... I'd called a Drum Sampler (or RAMPLER.. like I've hear some people call the virtual samplers)... cause in doesn't really have a seq., sx or Logic is actually what u r using as the sequencer... 2 b a sequencer it woul have 2 b more like the ReDrum in reason where u can load samples and (minimaly) tweek' em but also sequence (i.e. make patterns TR style).

Z

hiroprotagonist
27-04-2004, 01:39 PM
ARGH...ok i get it now. i guess i was kind of confused because ive never seen a sequencer in it when i was poking around. so basically i can use it to shape my drum sounds and then export the sounds to a sequencer like one in cubase. so would i just use battery as a vst instrument or a plugin?
mind you i dont actually have cubase so im trying to memorize all of this info for when i can get it. i figure ill probably start going crazy if i cant at least learn something new while im waiting for my new setup. :doh:

yorkie
27-04-2004, 02:48 PM
errr... I'd called a Drum Sampler (or RAMPLER.. like I've hear some people call the virtual samplers)... cause in doesn't really have a seq., sx or Logic is actually what u r using as the sequencer... 2 b a sequencer it woul have 2 b more like the ReDrum in reason where u can load samples and (minimaly) tweek' em but also sequence (i.e. make patterns TR style).

Z

:oops:

too true, my mistake :oops: :doh:

thats why Mr. Ze MigL is the moderator and not a pleb like myself :oops:

:lol: :lol:

hiroprotagonist
27-04-2004, 04:02 PM
pleb?

g
27-04-2004, 06:49 PM
plebeian. common person.

DJZeMig_L
27-04-2004, 08:35 PM
No plebs here... were all schooled equal ... ;)

That's what makes this forum great not much of ego measure ( I have learned loads with other people).. ;)

PS - Battery not only shapes yer sound m8 it can also be used 2 trigger sounds live (or sequenced via midi tracks in any sequencer that accepts VST I ou DX I9)... one of the advantages of the Virtual instruments is that they are cheap take no space and the "outs" arrive straigth into yer sequencers audio mixer... or u can bounce them 2 audio tracks for further eq/ dynamics/ efxs/ manipulation etc...! Hope this makes it clearer now!

Z

hiroprotagonist
28-04-2004, 02:39 PM
its all as clear as it can get right now. im a really hands on person so until i actually get it up and working and DO this im not going to completely understand how it all ties in. thankss :)

278d7e64a374de26f==