PDA

View Full Version : NEW KIT

dirty_bass
04-05-2004, 10:43 AM
New live equipment just got delivered.

I would just like to formally announce goodbye to the world outside the studio, and to all the lovely people here at BOA forum.

New toys, new toys, new toys, new toys, new toys, new toys, new toys, new toys, new toys, new toys, new toys, new toys, new toys, new toys, new toys, new toys, new toys, new toys, new toys, new toys, new toys, new toys, new toys, new toys, new toys, new toys, new toys, new toys, new toys, new toys, new toys, new toys, new toys, new toys, new toys, new toys, new toys, new toys, new toys, new toys, new toys, new toys, new toys, new toys, new toys, new toys, new toys, new toys, new toys, new toys, new toys, new toys, new toys, new toys, new toys, new toys, new toys, new toys, new toys, new toys, new toys, new toys, new toys, new toys, new toys, new toys, new toys, new toys, new toys, new toys, new toys, new toys, new toys, new toys, new toys, new toys, new toys, new toys, new toys, new toys, new toys, new toys, new toys, new toys, new toys, new toys, new toys, new toys, new toys, new toys, new toys, new toys, new toys, new toys, new toys, new toys, new toys, new toys, new toys, new toys, new toys, new toys, new toys, new toys, new toys, new toys, new toys, new toys, new toys, new toys, new toys, new toys, new toys, new toys, new toys, new toys, new toys, new toys, new toys, new toys, new toys, new toys, new toys, new toys, new toys, new toys, new toys, new toys, new toys, new toys, new toys, new toys, new toys, new toys, new toys, new toys, new toys, new toys, new toys, new toys, new toys, new toys, new toys, new toys, new toys, new toys, new toys, new toys, new toys, new toys, new toys, new toys, new toys, new toys, new toys, new toys, new toys, new toys, new toys, new toys, new toys, new toys, new toys, new toys, new toys, new toys, new toys, new toys, new toys, :love: :lol: :love: :lol: :love: :lol: :love: :lol:

duncandisorderly
04-05-2004, 11:00 AM
i know i will regret asking. but what new toys????

Rog
04-05-2004, 11:03 AM
i just said this in the wrong post..

steve, you just got to wire it all up now.. cables cables cables! :doh:

dan the acid man
04-05-2004, 07:55 PM
manuals, manuals, manuals,manuals, manuals, manuals,manuals, manuals, manuals,manuals, manuals,manuals, manuals, :lol: :lol:

dirty_bass
05-05-2004, 01:05 AM
mmmmm manuals

Korg electribe esx-1 x 2
:lol: :lol:

mux
05-05-2004, 04:01 AM

Heh, PATCHES!

Everyone, sing along!

UH patches, patches, patches, patches, patches, patches, patches, patches, patches, patches, patches, MUSHROOM MUSHROOM!

Quaaaaarteeer iiiinch snaaaaaaake....

(ok, sue me. I get excited about stuff.)

(don't get it? http://www.badgerbadgerbadger.com IT'S TECHNO, DAMMIT)

FILTERZ
05-05-2004, 08:47 AM

Heh, PATCHES!

Everyone, sing along!

UH patches, patches, patches, patches, patches, patches, patches, patches, patches, patches, patches, MUSHROOM MUSHROOM!

Quaaaaarteeer iiiinch snaaaaaaake....

(ok, sue me. I get excited about stuff.)

badgers

(don't get it? http://www.badgerbadgerbadger.com IT'S TECHNO, DAMMIT)

Rog
05-05-2004, 10:10 AM
quit with the baddger song! :dontevengothere:

The Divide
05-05-2004, 12:31 PM
:lol: :lol: The badger song is quality school disco music

xfive
07-05-2004, 07:50 PM
mmmmm manuals

Korg electribe esx-1 x 2
:lol: :lol:

Hey Steve - How you liking the esx-1 ?
I need to purchase a sampler for an upcoming live pa and was going to get the mpc1000, but I totally forgot about this thing. It looks like it could be a bit more useful to me as I don't really need all the midi related stuff on the mpc... How are the effects? Workflow? etc
Any comments on it would help me with my decision greatly.. :)

-Chris

jake
07-05-2004, 08:01 PM
i had an es-1 and it was a beast.. the esx-1 must be an improvement with the vacuum tubes and 44.1khz sound.. (although some people i know are fans of the es-1's rougher 32khz sound)

dirty_bass
07-05-2004, 08:46 PM
The es1-x is wicked.
You get a lot more conrol surfaces than the mpc 2000 so it`s more of a performance tool.
Your limited to 285 seconds of mono audio at 44k, but thats more than enough for a good hour to hour and a half live set.
It`s fully midi capable.
Has a fantastic apregiator.
The effects are pretty good.
Filters are fantastic (4 types)
You can run audio (a microphone or whatever) through it, and apply all the internal effects and filters to the audio, as well as gating it.
The clock is rock solid.
Sample editing is a bit fiddly, but I just do everything in PC and then transfer onto a 128mb smartmedia card (£20 from picstop!!) then plug into the korg and dump it in. It accepts wav and aiff
You can resample within the machine if you want to grit the samples up.

Essentially I am very very happy.
AND it`s pretty light weight, but the build quality is excellent. All the pots are well greased and solid. It`s also reletively small.

For 500 jib each, you can`t go wrong.

Oh, and the Valves really really add a FANTASTIC warmth to the sound.

well done korg :clap: :clap: :clap:

xfive
07-05-2004, 08:59 PM
Excellent! :love:
I am definetly looking for a performance tool in this vein... I want each piece of gear to be self-sufficient.. and the added features that the esx-1 has seem to be a bit more geared towards what I'm trying to do... If I ever need midi sequencing the monomachine and machinedrum can handle that exceptionally well.
I was questioning the build quality but it seems to be quite a bit more sturdy than the older ones from what I could see in the hi-res pics I was peeking at.

Hey and it's $200 less than the mpc too :clap:

I always have 30 days to return it if I don't like it right? :)
I have yet to return a piece of gear though heheh

Thanks!
-Chris

lunatrick
08-05-2004, 03:37 PM
sounds really good - can't find it on the korg website which is a bit wierd.....how many outputs does it have? and can you control other midi devices with it?

dirty_bass
08-05-2004, 05:29 PM
The korg has 4 outs, nut only 1 and 2 run through the valve bus.

the korg link is here
http://www.korg.co.uk/products/dance_dj/sx1/dj_sx1.asp

You can send or recieve midi, so yes you can use it to control other devices.

It will even sync itself to audio, so you can use it within a DJ set.

Obviously it`s not gonna make you produce solid gold all of a sudden.

It`s very much a case of quality in, quality out, so it`s dependant on the production of the samples you put in, in the first place.

But my main criteria for new kit were as follows, all of which it met.

1 Sound quality
2 Performance potential and control surfaces
3 Memory
4 Size and weight (you can get it in as hand luggage on a plane:) )

lunatrick
08-05-2004, 07:22 PM
fair play it looks the dogs tho, and the fact that you could store several set on cheap media is genius! I've been thinking about buying the new mpc but I think the korg gives that a run for it's money....

dirty_bass
09-05-2004, 03:43 AM
Yeah, you can get 128mb smartmedia for 20 quid.

And I do all audio editing on the PC and just fill up the SM card with nicely chopped loops.

278d7e64a374de26f==