Welcome to the Blackout Audio Techno Forums :: Underground Network.
    Junior Freak

Default Starting a label

I hope this is in the right area, but i just want to know how many people own their own label and how they went about it??

I presume that starting your own label or even just getting records pressed off your own back is the easiest way to get your stuff heard....?

another thing... is sending demo's to labels a bad idea?

Just curious

:?: :?: :?:
    Ass-to-Ass!

BOA Lifetime Member

Main point is getting a good distribution, please don't take P&D deals!

Z
    Djax-Up Beats rec, Minimalistix Rec, Holtzplatten Rec, Invasion Rec, Fined Rec., bla bla bla

BOA Lifetime Member

hmmmm before you do anything, talk to a distributer, and demo your stuff, before you fork out the cash, if you wanna press your own.
    If they aren`t gonna distribute it, then there`s no point pressing it.

Demo your stuff here at BOA, people will tell their opinions as to whether its good enough to put out or not.

And most of all good luck.
    Solitary by nature.
    Isolation is the gift.
    Does anyone have courage to stand apart any more?

myspace.com/dirtybassgrooves
    http://www.myspace.com/dirtybassvoidloss
    http://www.subgenius.com

Ultimate Freak

if i had my time again i wouldnt bother.. there are way to many labels out there.. Dance music would be in a different state right now if there were fewer (& higher quality) labels.. talented people would actually be able to earn a living again..

best thing to do is send stuff to decent labels - remember, if its good you WILL get a release..
    jimmah!

BOA Lifetime Member

yeah, I was gonna say the same as Jim as well, but I didn`t wanna be too disheartening. But basically, send your stuff to labels that siut your style, or styles, if you have more than one.
    Solitary by nature.
    Isolation is the gift.
    Does anyone have courage to stand apart any more?

myspace.com/dirtybassgrooves
    http://www.myspace.com/dirtybassvoidloss
    http://www.subgenius.com

Junior Freak

thanks for the info. will have some snippets of tracks up soon in the production files section
    Ass-to-Ass!

Supreme Freak

On the up side though if you're putting out music that's likely to be licensed onto compliations and you have the contacts to put it out yourself then there's a lot to be said to hanging on to your copyright and only licensing it to people, primarily because you get to keep more of the (usually rather limited) cash ... and you get the cash as soon as it's signed to a comp or whatever rather than 6 months later.

Depends what you are doing I guess.

If you've not had tracks released before then go via another label, because at least there'll be some quality control :)

It's loads of hassle if you make lots of vinyl and dont' have good distribution ... the one time we did it (for a dodgy bootleg) was the middle of last year and I've still not resolved all the accounts and collected all teh cash from shops and things and I've still got 50 of the bloody things left over that I've not been organised enough to ship out.

Anyone want one? :)