Welcome to the Blackout Audio Techno Forums :: Underground Network.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Junior Freak

Default what exactly is Detroit techno?

Could someone please try explaining to me what detroit techno is? Im confused.

For years now i've tried to work it out. I understand who's from Detroit (mills, May, Saunderson...etc).
    As soon as i think i know it, something comes along and destroys my theory. What about Jeff Mills live @ Liquid room 1996? Is that classic detroit style?

Every time a dj from Detroit comes to Melbourne, all the headlines read "REAL DETROIT TECHNO DJ.........", and everyone goes "OOOOOOH!". Stacey Pullen is in Melbourne at the moment. All the headlines read "Detroit soul......."?

Its just like normal techno to me. Maybe a little darker or minimal than normal but im probably wrong there.

Supreme Freak

Default Re: what exactly is Detroit techno?

Quote Originally Posted by sash
    Its just like normal techno to me. Maybe a little darker or minimal than normal but im probably wrong there.
    no, that's pretty close. detroit techno usually has minimal melodies, but often complex rhythms. it finds the balance between pounding and grooving.

most people simply refer to it as "techno" now though, as the guys who pioneered the sound (who were from detroit) have either moved on to other places or other sounds.

Administrator

for me it's very easy to define detroit techno. listen to the mechanics of juan atikins 'no ufo's' or 'interference'. also listen to the strings of derrick may. the sexual funk of blake baxter.

whenever someone refers to detroit techno, they're talking about the roots of the sound. just do your research, then you will understand ;)

Junior Freak

Quote Originally Posted by sash
    Could someone please try explaining to me what detroit techno is? Im confused.

For years now i've tried to work it out. I understand who's from Detroit (mills, May, Saunderson...etc).
    As soon as i think i know it, something comes along and destroys my theory. What about Jeff Mills live @ Liquid room 1996? Is that classic detroit style?

Every time a dj from Detroit comes to Melbourne, all the headlines read "REAL DETROIT TECHNO DJ.........", and everyone goes "OOOOOOH!". Stacey Pullen is in Melbourne at the moment. All the headlines read "Detroit soul......."?

I've been wondering the same thing, even the mixed CD from Stay up Forever says, "It's not from Detroit, but it's still avin' it!"

I've heard some of the detroit stuff, and I don't mean to bag it, but it's just not what I'm into... I've heard a couple of tracks when they used the 303, but I think the guys from SUF really made the acid sound stand out.
    P E A C E A C I D M A Y H E M

BOA Lifetime Member

detroit techno generally is minimal, but uses melody and has a bit of soul to it
    Solitary by nature.
    Isolation is the gift.
    Does anyone have courage to stand apart any more?

myspace.com/dirtybassgrooves
    http://www.myspace.com/dirtybassvoidloss
    http://www.subgenius.com

Supreme Freak

Quote Originally Posted by MARK EG
    the sexual funk of blake baxter.
    that's it !

Supreme Freak

I have no attraction to this sound whatsoever, maybe I should take the blinkers off and give some of it a real listen with interest.

Junior Freak

It's pretty farkin simple really, it's techno made in Detroit...
    You were once a helpless infant that used to piss and shit on itself, as was I. We\'re all the same. Respect yourself.

Junior Freak

I think the confusion comes from the fact Detroit techno can encompass anything from Strings Of Life to Steps To Enchantment. I don't think it really stands out from the output from other countries, but that may be because I got into techno in the mid/late 90s so I'm looking back, rather than being there at the time when these records first came out and they were regarded as true innovators.

BOA Lifetime Member

Quote Originally Posted by dirty_bass
    detroit techno generally is minimal, but uses melody and has a bit of soul to it
    yep thats how id classify it also,minimal,melodic and fairly soulful.

Supreme Freak

always worth a listen - i bought a detroit chewn early this year - not my real taste, but variety and diverseribility offer something.. it still rocks - in its own way..

i'd only bag "pop"

BOA Lifetime Member

Quote Originally Posted by AcidBastard

I've been wondering the same thing, even the mixed CD from Stay up Forever says, "It's not from Detroit, but it's still avin' it!"
    lol... It's Not Intelligent...And It's Not From Detroit...But It's Fu.ckin' 'Avin It - which I always thought to mean - Detroit was so far up its own arse that it had forgotten how to party = which in 1996/7 was pretty true imo.

Junior Freak

Is it fair to say that the sound of Robert Hood is very minimal detroit style? Ive heard a lot about this guy. Never actually heard a mix set though, only a few of his tracks.

Anyone seen a Rob Hood set? What did ya think?

Prince Of Warthogs

Quote Originally Posted by jonnyspeed
    Quote Originally Posted by AcidBastard

lol... It's Not Intelligent...And It's Not From Detroit...But It's Fu.ckin' 'Avin It - which I always thought to mean - Detroit was so far up its own arse that it had forgotten how to party = which in 1996/7 was pretty true imo.
    i played with alan oldham once
    and he came back to the after party shouting
    " i am intellegent i am from detroit and i'm ****in havin it!!!!"
    which was pretty........neat.

anyways detroit techno

that's that "real " techno innit???
    not like all this rubbish we listen to now!
    love your mum

BOA Newbie

Detroit Techno as a sound is hard to define as at one end you have the dark harder stuff by Mills and Claude Young and at the other you have the likes of Carl Craig who's songs are more melodic and jazz-influenced. Then there's Underground Resistance who pretty much cover everyting.

I kinda interpreted it as philosophy that the music should be work in it's own right, not just on the dancefloor.

Robert Hood is basically at the harder, minimal end of detroit Techno and his sets sound pretty much like his records really. Definitly worth checking out

BOA Lifetime Member

to know what detroit techno is, you have to simply know techno???????
    GREYGROUND

The Demon Beast

Quote Originally Posted by ampassasinbirmingham
    to know what detroit techno is, you have to simply know techno???????
    That is correct!
    Wetworks
    Compound, Punish Blue, Mastertraxx

acieeeeeeeeeeeeed

what a pair of ugly mugs, im scared now ;)
    Life is "trying things to see if they work"

Finally getting around to updating my site
    http://www.plus27design.co.uk/

Dave knows scooter lyrics

Junior Freak

Quote Originally Posted by Rhys
    Detroit Techno as a sound is hard to define as at one end you have the dark harder stuff by Mills and Claude Young and at the other you have the likes of Carl Craig who's songs are more melodic and jazz-influenced.
    How bout Carl Craig's 'the climax'

I think the Detroit sound is too universal now. I'm sure you all have heard this topic of conversation a million times by now. Maybe some people readin this might just think who cares and just get on with it, though i find the history of techno interesting to say the least.

Junior Freak

To me, there was never any techno that reflected the experience of Detroit more than that of Mad Mike Banks and the UR crew. While I admittedly lost touch with them in the last few years, the stuff they put out that I used to drive around to, puffin a joint in the D, nothing seemed more exact. The heartache, the love, the decaying buildings, the weeds, and the weed, it felt as if the music was very naturally the sunlight of the city. You forgot it was coming from your stereo. It seemed like a pure and clear reflection of the environment.

Mike was always a super nice and insightful guy, involved and aware of city politics and government on many levels. He also ran many of the famous Detroit techno labels while others were away touring and groping the spotlight. For all this and more he is an inspiration and an individual deserving a tremendous amount of respect and appreciation.

Thanks Mike, wherever you are!!

Ok, that was me getting sappy. Back to being a pervert with yall!

d

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast