Welcome to the Blackout Audio Techno Forums :: Underground Network.
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Supreme Freak

Quote Originally Posted by MARK EG
    it's nothing but distributors crying out for releases, constant phone calls etc etc. that's what i'm saying is the issue here. and it's something i really don't like. it puts you under immense pressure. i'm sure other label owners will agree with me. if you have a deal where the distributor doesn't care then great. but it seems to me that ALL distributors want the next release, yesterday. see what i mean?
    Who's your distributor? I'll hook up with them if they need more business ;)

Ultimate Freak

if you have a deal where the distributor doesn't care then great. but it seems to me that ALL distributors want the next release, yesterday. see what i mean?
    Totally. But if you're feeling pressure from these distributors to push on with your label maybe you should just explain to them that it's not worth pushing you. If they can't understand that then maybe you shouldn't be with the distributor. Why put yourself in jeopardy by rushing a product? Stay true and release what you're really proud of, when you want to do it. If the distributor isn't cool with that then maybe it wasn't meant to happen. Distributors forget that musicians are artists too, and more musicians need to take a stance sometimes and hold off to put something out that they are truly proud of...otherwise what is the point?

Junior Freak

If your making music with money as ur main aim then you should'nt be making music in my honest opinion!
    I don't necessarily disagree with you, but to go devil's advocate on this angle, how does it make it any less creative a process what your motive is for doing it?

e.g...I've seen it said on these boards that some prefer producing techno, and prefer listening to hard trance. If these people produce a hard trance track, is it less genuine than if they'd produced a techno one?

Some quotes from money-oriented producers:

Stock Aitken and Waterman: "What we do is not art."
    Daft Punk: (paraphased) "I hate disco and house and all that stuff, but it's the only thing I'm good at."

BOA Lifetime Member

my personal opinion is that if the person making the tracks doesnt have a genuine 110% love for the music they are making, then what's the point?! my belief is that people should not be making tracks just to make money, they should be making tracks for themselves personally, they should want to have their say and get involved in the scene rather than breezing in, making a hit record, picking up the cheques then breezing back out again!

as for those quotes, well, Stock Aitken and Waterman.... hmmm... only one of the most successful writers/producers ever i believe? when u reach that level of success (i think these guys have written a silly amount of hit records) its easy to become whimsical about what your doing, especially if everything you write goes straight in at number one or there abouts!

Writing music and production is clearly an art, and a passion for most, and i defy anyone (even Stock Aitken and Waterman!) who says otherwise!

and for the Daft Punk quote... errr... if they REALLLY didnt like disco or house... do you honestly believe they would of been capable of writing one the finest disco/house albums EVER?!!! because i dont, the music on "homework" has an obvious soul and feeling to it, its a classic album and if ur quote is correct then i dont think they would of produced it in my opinion

;)

Ultimate Freak

I think their disco shit was for the money. Do an online search for their Even Furthur 1996 set. It's incredibly hard and acidic...more like their "burning" track than any of their other housier stuff. They could get extremely tough on their sounds if they wanted to. They know it won't sell though.

BOA Lifetime Member

ahh right, il check that out cheers dude

Ultimate Freak

Default Re: Keeping a label going.

Quote Originally Posted by MangaFish
    ... picotto ... killer tune
    oxymoron?

BOA Newbie

Mauro Picotto and Ricardo Ferri are producing some good stuff. well some of it is a bit too cheesy for my liking but a few of their tracks are pretty good.

Mauro Picotto & Ricardo Ferri - Greens http://217.158.65.110/MP3/SF152500-01-02-08.mp3
    Mauro Picotto & Ricardo Ferri - Decantato
    http://217.158.65.110/MP3/SF152500-01-02-03.mp3

both good tunes.
    \"what youre about to experience is a brand new vibe\"

\'filthy,obscene,immoral,aww yeeahh\'

Junior Freak

Quote Originally Posted by eyes without a face
    my personal opinion is that if the person making the tracks doesnt have a genuine 110% love for the music they are making, then what's the point?! my belief is that people should not be making tracks just to make money, they should be making tracks for themselves personally, they should want to have their say and get involved in the scene rather than breezing in, making a hit record, picking up the cheques then breezing back out again!

;)
    i really don't think the motivation behind people's music is really anyone else's concern. WHy is music the only profession where you can't be in it for the money ? If someone is good at something , and can make a decent living doing it , you would be stupid not to go through with it.

You think all those guys making jingles really put as much creativity as they can ? It is called a job.

What you are asking musicians to do is basically take a huge risk , even bigger risk than actually just being in the music industry , and make music for yourself only. This is'nt for everyone and to expect every one to abide by your said rules is pretty juvenile.

Music is a business and until people start paying musicians for just being artistic , musicians are going to find work any way they can.

PS : I am willing to bet than anyone that thinks doing a project for money is agaisnt everything music stands forprobably does'nt rely on music for money and has the luxury of not being dependent on getting a check.

BOA Lifetime Member

Money shouldn`t be a driving factor. BUT to be really good, you need to be able to put in the time and work. And to be able to do this, a job interferes, therefore, you need to be able to make money from your music to pay the rent. It`s a constant struggle.
    Solitary by nature.
    Isolation is the gift.
    Does anyone have courage to stand apart any more?

myspace.com/dirtybassgrooves
    http://www.myspace.com/dirtybassvoidloss
    http://www.subgenius.com

Junior Freak

When walking the tightrope...

I fell off

but I caught myself by a finger and held on

swaying in the breeze..it was a great ride

BOA Lifetime Member

I know this is an old topic, but im new to this forum and was just browsing through a few interesting topics and come across this one...Mark stated earlier in this topic about having to rush tunes to keep the label moving on (like a new release on a label every month/6 weeks). As starting a new label myself the pressure to get tracks out there regulary, is certainly an issue and this will only lead to rushing your production, thus leading to knowing the track has been rushed and being rather disappointed with it (although other people may not think so). Anyway there is one person i hold massive RESPECT to for being able to do this (getting loads of QUALITY tracks out there as well as djing week in week out) and this man is DAVE the Drummer, and how he does this ...well i havent got a ****in clue. he must be getting a few releases produced every week, and (..not liking his arse) i think they are all ****in spot on! ...i think he will be the man to ask for tips on getting good stuff out there in such a short space of time....****ing genius!

Ultimate Freak

music is art. music is a science. but let us not forget above all, that music is entertainment.

Junior Freak

Not trying to get at you fella but...

well the more you get involved with the 'industry' the more you realise alot of ppl are in this to make cash but alot of people are not.
    Isn't that the nature of 'industry' - i.e. a capitalistic enterprise?

it's nothing but distributors crying out for releases, constant phone calls etc etc. that's what i'm saying is the issue here. and it's something i really don't like. it puts you under immense pressure. i'm sure other label owners will agree with me. if you have a deal where the distributor doesn't care then great. but it seems to me that ALL distributors want the next release, yesterday. see what i mean?
    You'd be crying alot more if it were the other way round - you weren't making money and you were chasing the distributors and they weren't returning your calls.

Have you thought about setting up a call centre in India to handle your calls? I hear they're popular at the moment. :lol:
    202, 606, Alpha Juno, SIDstation, Freebass hed.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12