Welcome to the Blackout Audio Techno Forums :: Underground Network.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Administrator

Default Keeping a label going.

Does anyone else have a problem with this. I mean, I'm in the studio 24/7 well hehehe apart from the weekend, I listen to so much material that is sent to me but yet I still find it so hard ot keep Blackout Audio (the label) going. Sometimes creatively I feel like it's a rush to get the next release out. And I really dont want this.

Ultimate Freak

the best advice someone we all know ever gave me on the subject is simply don't rush it. let the music come out when it's time. if that means the label is quiet for a while, so be it. there's no point in putting out something your heart's not in simply for the sake of being able to up your catalog number. be proud of every release.

Ultimate Freak

also more time spent out of the studio will likely better inspire the time you spend in. :)

BOA Lifetime Member

If u release 3 tracks 4 each release then I say choose 2 killer tracks and one leave the artist 2 choose (xpecially if it's non regular tech), this way u keep yer quality lots higher 'cause u only get 2 really brutal tracks, the other weird 1 will get more and different people going back 2 the label 2 check it out, thus conquering other people, sounds, attention!

Z
    Djax-Up Beats rec, Minimalistix Rec, Holtzplatten Rec, Invasion Rec, Fined Rec., bla bla bla

Supreme Freak

somebody once told me that the key to success was to figure out what you are better at than anyone else, and to focus on doing that. anything that you aren't the best at, but that is required to support what you are doing, delegate to others whenever possible.

not sure if this applies to your situation or not, but it sounded good at the time. i haven't had a chance to try it myself yet. severe lack of slave labour around here. ;)

Administrator

you know i just hate this 'rush rush rush' thing that the industry makes you do. it was great when we were 'learning' about production because we had all the time in the world. but now, when we want the time, the industry makes you rush!

it's now been about 3 months since we sent the last blackout release to be cut. i could have so easily sent something 1/2 baked down a month ago, but i didn't. it's fianlly gone down today, but even so, i wish i didn't have this stupid deadline crap to deal with. i don't mind it about djing casue i've djed for donkeys years, but i sure as hell mind it when it comes to production.

Supreme Freak

**** it man. don't rush things if u don't want to.

Junior Freak

make rap music

But seriously , if your having money woes , techno is not the right genre to be doing .

Junior Freak

But seriously , if your having money woes , techno is not the right genre to be doing .
    Makes me wonder what is then...Hardhouse? "Progressive"? Trance?

There must be some genres more favoured by a mass of bedroom DJs than by producers...

BOA Lifetime Member

Mark i was thinking something similiar myself the other day! i dont own a label but it was to do with production.

I like time to do my tracks, same as u i dont think these things should be rushed and im still in the learning curve and having fun making tracks without having deadlines hanging over me! ok im not releasing stuff, but its really wikid to be able to go at ur own pace and keep learning stuff without a label or artists asking if you've finished such and such track or remix etc etc !!!

also i have to add that

is the most stupid comment ive heard in here in a while! If your making music with money as ur main aim then you should'nt be making music in my honest opinion!

Supreme Freak

it is an age old problem, isn't it? trying to find the balance between art and life. it's a very lucky person who gets to do the thing they love to do and actually make a living from it.

BOA Lifetime Member

yes definately! but there are borders

id seriously doubt the integrity of any techno producer who decided to start knocking out hard house or anything like that just to make ends meet

Supreme Freak

besides, switching to another type of music wouldn't make the deadlines go away. even millionaires have deadlines. (especially millionaires?)

Junior Freak

start selling liscensed mix cds

Lot less creativity involved and probably easier to meet deadlines
    Of course i'm just assuming.

Either way , from what i know about people that listen to techno , it does'nt sound like a genre where you can make $$$$$$. Seems like the only people that buy it are djs and everyone else just downoads it from the net. Of course all electronica suffers from this but it seems like techno especially gets raped a little more.

I think it would be kind of funny to compare lets say the top hard rock artists yearly income with lets say the " top " techno producers income.

Ultimate Freak

Default Re: Keeping a label going.

Quote Originally Posted by MARK EG
    Does anyone else have a problem with this. I mean, I'm in the studio 24/7 well hehehe apart from the weekend, I listen to so much material that is sent to me but yet I still find it so hard ot keep Blackout Audio (the label) going. Sometimes creatively I feel like it's a rush to get the next release out. And I really dont want this.
    i think theres your problem (in bold). i find i'm at my most creative when i've had a complete break from music. both my own and other peoples. if you can spare a couple of days, spend it just chilling. watching tv or going for a pic nic. something that requires minimal brain activity. dont listen to any demos etc in that time. i'm sure you'll have a few ideas by the end of your break

i think picotto once said that he was forced home by his manager for some r&r. a couple of days later picotto went back to his studio and wrote one of his most killer tunes

Ultimate Freak

Some of the best labels out there put one or two releases out a year. I told our current distributor flat out before we signed on with them that one of the stipulations is that we'll release as much as we want, when we want to or else it won't work out. So, we've decided to do 2 or 3 releases tops this year for each label. We decided this number because its material we already have finished and we feel is appropriate to release. We won't release anything else until we come up with some more killer tunes that fit the sound of the labels.

The same goes with other labels too. They're always on deadlines and such and want tracks like right away but I usually just take my time. I think some people these days just focus on production as a job towards a goal rather than being fun. For a while I was just trying to make beats for the sake of making beats but it got old real quick. Now I only work on music when I am in the mood, just like I would with TV, books, and other stuff. I think if you keep the idea a hobby and just slow things down a bit it becomes a lot more fun. I've also been writing loads of music that isn't typical drummy techno and it's really put the fun back into writing music. You just gotta take your time. But yes, running labels is a drag sometimes.

Administrator

well the more you get involved with the 'industry' the more you realise alot of ppl are in this to make cash but alot of people are not. as far as djing goes i follow my heart. always have, always will. i'm luck to be able to pay the rent (and now morgage :)) from it. great.

we've only been producing 7-8 yrs, but i see production and even more personal. to the extent that i don't need to think about the cash from it even .0000000000% cause my djing is paying the rent. so it's deep, very deep. it must ALWAYS stay like that. but then about 3 years ago we started blackout audio label. and it's nothing but distributors crying out for releases, constant phone calls etc etc. that's what i'm saying is the issue here. and it's something i really don't like. it puts you under immense pressure. i'm sure other label owners will agree with me. if you have a deal where the distributor doesn't care then great. but it seems to me that ALL distributors want the next release, yesterday. see what i mean?

Administrator

@ mangafish > very, very good point. i wish i could do that. but there's no way i'd ever want to distance myself from what i do. not even for a second. i've been on 1 true holiday in 10 years. i love it too much. i really do. but yeah, perhaps you have a point. time to book a nice holiday with chrissi perhaps?

BOA Lifetime Member

Hope I!ve got the point of discussion,. I mean that working under pressure of distributor or whoever is the fact that kills the constructivness and freshness of the tracks, that's not your case. your tracks are fresh as hell, indeed . I mean the fact of fight quantity vs quality. and the fact making money from something we're doing without care of money till the point you're getting to the next level and releasing the stuff offently and being well known Dj or Live PA,.. then it's probably working under pressure and you need just to follow the way or quit. anyone can choose..........
    "Computer games don't affect kids, I mean if Pac Man affected us as kids, we'd all run around in a darkened room munching pills and listening to repetitive music."
    -Kristian Wilson, Nintendo Inc

BOA Newbie

Looks like I've all the joys to come, hehe.
    I'll only have my second release out in a couple of weeks, so still have a lot of shit to go through i suspect.
    The hard part from my point of view, is collecting the cash in from shops, and worryin about that, being self-distributing.
    Like you say, it does take a lot of time away from the creative side of things.
    www.soundclick.com/bands/2/noonoomusic.htm
    www.soundclick.com/bands/8/ttukmusic.htm
    Forthcoming TTUK releases:-
    TTUK002 NooNoo - Submission / Antimatter remix
    TTUK003 Flymo - Oktober / Alex Calver Remix

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast