Welcome to the Blackout Audio Techno Forums :: Underground Network.
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Junior Freak

Default mixing genres on the same stage

Down here in sunny melbourne, this hard nrg/ hard trance crew have put on a few events and have mixed up dj's ranging from techno to hard nrg to hard trance and so on on the same stage.

This crew put on this party and had Dave the Drummer as the main act.
    I couldn't wait to see another Drummer set but i gotta say, id rather chew my left arm off than listen to nrg/ trance. Anyway i hung around and left after Dave's set.

On one side of the coin u got people sayin "aah who cares about all this genre crap it's all dance music" but on the other side of the coin u got people lookin for a specific sound like myself.
    I don't mind mixin genres but i think hard nrg/ hard trance followed by an acid techno dj is not a good formula (not for me anyway and judging by the crowd at that party i went too, not for them either)

Just wonderin what people's thoughts were on this topic.

Junior Freak

Default Re: mixing genres on the same stage

Quote Originally Posted by sash
    Down here in sunny melbourne, this hard nrg/ hard trance crew have put on a few events and have mixed up dj's ranging from techno to hard nrg to hard trance and so on on the same stage.

This crew put on this party and had Dave the Drummer as the main act.
    I couldn't wait to see another Drummer set but i gotta say, id rather chew my left arm off than listen to nrg/ trance. Anyway i hung around and left after Dave's set.

On one side of the coin u got people sayin "aah who cares about all this genre crap it's all dance music" but on the other side of the coin u got people lookin for a specific sound like myself.
    I don't mind mixin genres but i think hard nrg/ hard trance followed by an acid techno dj is not a good formula (not for me anyway and judging by the crowd at that party i went too, not for them either)

Just wonderin what people's thoughts were on this topic.

p.s. Dave rocked the room that night though unfortunately most of the Melbourne techno community wern't there.

BOA Newbie

My favourite DJs are the ones that play a bit of everything ie. Laurent Garnier. When you see one of his extended sets you can expect to hear anything from house, techno, funk, rock, rave, electro, drum & bass and even prog on the rare occasion but it's all usually decent quality music.

It's sad but true that a lot of DJs and Punters are so closed-minded that they stick to a narrow genre or even sub-genre of music.

BOA Lifetime Member

well put it this way...i wouldnt attend an event that hosted various genres (although i suppose that would depend on what genres were on show) all within one room.

everybody has preferences.

Junior Freak

I think style-mixing is totally positive, but I guess you can't really mix EVERYthing now, can you? ;) I guess mixing electro and techno or progressive and house probably sounds better than mixing DJ Sammy and DJ Premier (no disrespect to Primo :lol: )... Anyway, mixing genres is good as long as the crowd is open-minded, I guess. I'd personally love to play to an audience which wouldn't mind electro or breaks mixed with techno and/or tech-house, a crowd that would dance to anything you threw at them... That way you can take them on a different kind of trip and it allows you to be more spontaneous in the choice of your music and more unpredictable and dynamic as far as the dancefloor is concerned...
    John Wayne was a nazi

Supreme Freak

i like a varied blend of music over an eve - so i say its good! not sure about the hard nrg... jsut give us some acidic trance from the day!! ;)

the big pork pie

I like to chuck breaks into a techno set.

Supreme Freak

There is a difference between playing different styles of music as an individual DJ and putting on DJs with different specific styles as a promoter. I was slightly shocked when I first played in the USA, to see fliers for parties and down the line up they'd give each DJ's style under their name.

DJ ONE (D&B)
    DJ TWO (TECHNO)
    DJ THREE (TRANCE)
    DJ FOUR (HI NRG)

etc..all in the same space.

Great for people who either have no specific tastes or like everything or just want something to take drugs to, but personally this would not work for me. That is totally different to me or another DJ coming on and playing techno, house, electro, jungle, ambient etc. in a single set. That can work very well indeed if the DJ knows what they are doing. That doesn't mean I'd feel happy about turning up to a gig to find my set was being flanked by a trance set and an acid tekno set....although it would at least make my set seem artificially great in comparison.

There's a difference between being eclectic and being unfocussed.

Ultimate Freak

i would love people to be more open minded to be honest. Am playing at this big garden party on sunday and am to play my paul damage mulero wunsch shit but last time i started playing that the guy came over and asked if i could play more commercial stuff. Once i did they all loved it. Its funny cos the guy after me was shit as **** and just played all the ususal sunshine murder was the bass poorly mixed and they were all well buzzin off it. Just goes to show eh.
    I know the thread was about different genres but to these guys it was as if i was playing a different genre.

Junior Freak

There's a difference between being eclectic and being unfocussed.
    Well yeah. and that means DJs of different genres cooperating towards a single goal, and seeing eye-to-eye without prejudice, which doesn't happen given that so many of them have egos, prejudices and blind spots the size of planets... :lol:

Junior Freak

To be more clear, it just doesn't seem to figure into DJ culture the idea of perhaps sitting down as a team with the promoter and working out how best to deliver an event, playing a few tracks and floating ideas.

Maybe the pros do it, I don't know, but I get the feeling that getting DJs from different genres to cooperate on getting an event good rather than individual glory would be like herding cats.

(I'm probably being a cynical bastard though, there must be pros who are just that, professional, and do this sort of thing...)

Ultimate Freak

right well if it came to it and i had to do a night where there is something for everyone i would do it this way
    1st dj - prog house
    2nd dj - prog trance
    3rd dj - fuinky techno
    4th dj - hard techno
    5th dj hard trance
    6th dj - hard nrg

obviously if its a smaller night not on for aslong you conbine 1+2 3+4 and 5+6 but keep the progression the same. I think the above is ideal.

Supreme Freak

That schedule looks like my worst nightmare.

Ultimate Freak

well that is if you had to have something of everything. I would obviously have techno on all night but if you had to have something of everything then i can't see how you can improve on the above.

Junior Freak

something for everyone
    I reckon that'd make a good name for an event.
    That schedule looks like my worst nightmare.
    Worse than getting your skin ripped off hellraiser stylee with hundreds of hooks? :lol:

C'mon man, looks like a hoot. It'd draw the chicks I'm sure, they're less hung up about this sort of genre purity stuff than us guys from what I gather...

Supreme Freak

Quote Originally Posted by Tiptoe
    well that is if you had to have something of everything. I would obviously have techno on all night but if you had to have something of everything then i can't see how you can improve on the above.
    How about ragga, breakbeat, jungle, house, electro :D thassanot everything you've detaled above, unless there is an unspoken assumption that the music MUST stay above 140bpm all night.

I'd have

9:00 - 9:05 Trance
    9:05 - 9:20 Hoax Power Failure and surreptious DJ kicking by bouncer squad
    9:20 - 10:00 Electro
    10:00 - 11:00 Breakbeat
    11:00 - 12:00 House Music
    12:00 - 01:00 Tech House
    01:00 - 02:30 Hard Techno
    02:30 - 04:00 On the wonk / hard techno / hard electro / mash up
    04:00 - 05:00 House Music
    05:00 - 05:55 Old School House / Techno / Electro Classics
    05:55 - 06:00 Hard House
    Close

:lol:

Supreme Freak

I'd just have DJs that weren't idiots and weren't purists. The rest would sort itself out.

Ultimate Freak

over here, it is almost unheard of to have strickly one genre at a party.

our scene isnt segregated by music styles whatso ever.

just this past weekend i opened for Black Sun Empire, a fairly big name in the Drum and Bass scene. I share a stage with Tony Faline next week, a rather big american breaks producer...its really weird, but the crowd here always seems to freak out to hard techno the most....

i threw an all techno party a few months back, the turnout was ok, but i had to have other music in the second room, like breaks and funk to keep people happy, cause people here just into having the same music all night. well, they seem to be able to handle straight up trance parties thats for sure....

in the end, i just have to represent with techno as best i can, being one of the few that play this genre in the city, its growing, but it will be a while before massives have all techno in the main room thats for sure.

But i absolutly hate having to go to a party and pay a huge fee just to hear one dj i am interested in. but i'll do it ;)

BOA Newbie

Quote Originally Posted by death on a stick
    I'd just have DJs that weren't idiots and weren't purists. The rest would sort itself out.
    Word.

Junior Freak

Hey Sash,

Greta topic for a thread! ;)

In Ny the raves have always tried to represent as many styles as possible, be it all in their own seperate rooms or 4x4 in the main and Breaks D&B (or hardcore) in the side rooms.

This forulma seemed to work and brings kids together that wouldn't normally go to see the acts in the dreaded "other room"! And it also gives people the chance to get a taste of something new that they might actually like but wouldn't normally have been exposed to.

On the other hand I think DJ's themselves should be a little more experimental and LEARN how to take chances and make certain gene crossings during their sets. If done right you won't clear the dancefloor (at least not all of it!) if the new gere isn't drastically different. If everything stays within the right mood, you'rs usually safe - hard w/ hard, dark w/ dark, cheese w/ cheese etc.

Have some balls and take a chance, if it sux you'll just switch back and recover from it, if it rocks your the muddafukkin man, and welcome to 2004!
    Gotham Grooves-Terminal M-Advanced UK
    www.gothamgrooves.com
    www.gothamgrooves.com/forums

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast