Welcome to the Blackout Audio Techno Forums :: Underground Network.
Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast
    Ultimate Freak

Default and back to techno! primate and ish.

what's the consensus on this board concerning prime(ate/evil)? i don't own any primate/primevil records. i don't enjoy anything out on it. the last thing i would say that had any spunk or character was cristian varela on gernerator feelings. Seems as though this is one of the top selling labels in techno.

i know this board has a following of people like mark and glenn and some others like surgeon and broom but what's the consensus concerning this huge label? personally i could care less if it existed.
    piss and the vultures will pay... coming soon

Administrator

i think primate were essential in bringing the harder sound to the public. but over the last few years they've become much funkier.

mind you, i love primate music and still play their sound.

Administrator

at the end of the day, we have to remember that they've taken the techno sound to a huge amount of ppl...

Supreme Freak
    Around the back of the third moon off Tyrisia

I haven't bought may records for the last year n half, but I used 2 buy lodsa primate - mainly cos the local record shop sold it and I likd the instant techno sound they produced - listening through some of them the other day I kinda thought "Why the hell did I buy that?" 2 some of them, but the likes of the Brian Zentz "Kingdom of the Selfish EP" on Primate, and a Soul Watcher tune on Primeevil I still really love - I try not 2 judge music by the label, but by the tune. What do u guys think about the more techhouse label's like Soma? I know ur all into harder stuff - but all the same..

Ultimate Freak

I'll agree with you on the Generator Feelings by Varela, probably my fav. record ever on Primate. Balls out!

As for the rest of the label(s), I have mixed feelings. Sometimes theres something really essential if you're playing a clubby part of your set, and sometimes its garbage. After around #40 something, the releases got pretty dull up until last summer. I'm actually quite impressed with the last few primates, but they're still not great to the point where you'd wet your pants.

I guess the reason its probably one of the best selling labels is because obviously its an in-house label, and they can promote the shit out of it for free basically.

Ultimate Freak

i do not own any primate rekkids.

Ultimate Freak

gunny, i am not suprised :) how was the gig???

Supreme Freak

I think that if Primate and Primevil had never existed, the state of techno as a whole would be much better.

Bunch of lame, generic, easy-access, unchallenging, boring, unimaginative drivel. There's been about 2 tracks across both labels that were worth buying.

Long live techno, down with Primate.

Junior Freak

Quote Originally Posted by death on a stick
    I think that if Primate and Primevil had never existed, the state of techno as a whole would be much better.

Bunch of lame, generic, easy-access, unchallenging, boring, unimaginative drivel. There's been about 2 tracks across both labels that were worth buying.

More constructive criticism I see :roll:

Primate has been a bit hit and miss in the last couple of years, but always worth listening to because a few gems come through now and again. Much of their output is stuck around the sort of "crashing drums" loops, but then so is Glenn Wilson IMO, and he doesn't get much criticism. Each to their own of course - but it's a label that's had some cracking releases and will no doubt continue to in the future.

Primevil also went a bit off the boil a couple of years ago but some of the recent releases have been outstanding, there's quite a variation of stuff on there as well, from Adam Jay's funky but atmospheric EP to Rush's banging remix of Arise, to Jamie Bissmire's and Woody McBride's more minimal output.

Close yourself off altogether from a particular label, and you're going to miss some cracking tunes in my opinion!

Ultimate Freak

i agree with both sides of what i'm reading in this post.. cheers.

Junior Freak

Yeh, I agree with the general gist of comments. Used to be bang on tunes, got a bit bland now. There have been a couple of nice trax on the Primate Endangered Species series (nice vinyl colours as well).

I reckon Valentino Kanzanyi out about 18 months ago was spot on, b side much better. Damn funky but good hard rythms.

Then again what about Jericho, similar sort of stuff. More from the Prime farm I suppose...

Ultimate Freak

jericho i cannot stand. sorry. i just heard a clip of 24 by :( HARDCELL. and i'm sorry to say.. not very good. disapointing.

BOA Lifetime Member

i think the a side of renegade ep is wicked
    Ure not mad enough, u don\'t belong in this house

Tune id's please?????????
    www.soundcloud.com/djfase

http://www.discogs.com/user/djfase

Junior Freak

Yeh, I agree with the general gist of comments. Used to be bang on tunes, got a bit bland now. There have been a couple of nice trax on the Primate Endangered Species series (nice vinyl colours as well).

I reckon Valentino Kanzanyi out about 18 months ago was spot on, b side much better. Damn funky but good hard rythms.

Then again what about Jericho, similar sort of stuff. More from the Prime farm I suppose...

Ultimate Freak

Quote Originally Posted by Adverse
    jericho i cannot stand. sorry. i just heard a clip of 24 by :( HARDCELL. and i'm sorry to say.. not very good. disapointing.

whoa, for once we agree! ;)

Ultimate Freak

the hardcell or that jericho stinks?

Ultimate Freak

both

Junior Freak

I dont agree.. Ive been into techno for a long while and I like all sorts from Surgeon and Regis right through to the free party sound like Dave the drummer etc and I have loads of Primate records and some of them are my favourite tunes, altho Ive never bought anything on primevil some of the primate are well worth a mention....

A quick look through my records all these in my opiion are wicked..

Samuel Onervas - Fugitive EP
    Mould Impression (Beyer) - 6 Hours
    Fugitive Ep RMXS - Joel Mull Remix
    Gaetano - 7775-Line Ep
    Sound Enforcer - Law order and Enforcement Ep
    Chris Liebing - No time to waste Ep
    Intexor and Sinesweeper - Prmt 17
    Throb - Subnormal EP

All of these tunes are wicked, Ill admit I have some on primate that are not so good but to say that is a joke. I think around 97 - 99 Primate were one of my favourite labels!

Ultimate Freak

Throb - Subnormal EP
    yea that record is class.

Ultimate Freak

agreed.

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast