Welcome to the Blackout Audio Techno Forums :: Underground Network.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Junior Freak

Default Mixmag Music Awards

For reasons quite beyond my understanding, Pure Filth has been shortlisted for the category "Best Techno Night" in this years Mixmag Music Awards.

The short list is

Atomic Jam, Birmingham
    Bugged Out, Liverpool
    Pressure, Glasgow
    Pure Filth, Nottingham
    Shine, Belfast
    Superconductor, Leeds

5 of these are massive nights in swanky venues catering to superstar djs, the other is in a dingy dodgy club, miles off the beaten track, relentlessly promoting the best the techno underground has to offer....

It would be very amusing if everyone decided to vote for the underdog and strike a blow for the underground...

www.pure-filth.org
    These go to eleven!!

Ultimate Freak

i thought superconductor where pretty damn underground, not maybe compared to you, but maybe compared to bugged out and atomic.
    I dont know. You give people freedom and what do the do with it?
    WHATEVER THEY BLOODY WELL LIKE!

BOA Lifetime Member

Default Re: Mixmag Music Awards

Quote Originally Posted by Analbumcover

Atomic Jam, Birmingham
    Bugged Out, Liverpool
    Pressure, Glasgow
    Pure Filth, Nottingham
    Shine, Belfast
    Superconductor, Leeds

5 of these are massive nights in swanky venues catering to superstar djs, the other is in a dingy dodgy club, miles off the beaten track, relentlessly promoting the best the techno underground has to offer....
    errr pardon???? lets go through this shall we.....

Atomic Jam - big night yes, swanky? no. Its been at Code and Air once respectively, apart from that can u call the Q club swanky? no way... and the Sanctuary couldnt b further away from swanky! Superstar djs... hmmmm big names yes, superstars, errrr no.. baring the big names like Rush and Clarke maybe... Finke is not a superstart Dj, Fenton isnt a superstar dj, both big names but not superstars....

Bugged Out - when it was at Nation it wasnt swanky at all, anyone who went can tell u Nation is one big shithole

Pressure - never been so cant give my own opinions, but from what people tell me the arches is swanky, the toilets are proper rank and it has its fair number of scallywags... definately not swanky

Shine - again never been but by all means not swanky. big names yes, but thats the clubs policy, big techno/house/electro acts and smaller names in teh other rooms

Superconductor - errrr definately not swanky, and has big names yes but these are quality big names, no superstar ego's at all etc etc etc

this may seem picky but i typed it because you have basically dismissed 5 superb club nights in one comment simply because you favour Pure Filth

i personally hope Atomic Jam or Superconductor wins it, but doesnt mean the other nights are any less enjoyable
    upcoming releases : Templ8r 1, Advanced 025, Humanoid 7, Emetic 013 - www.djscottgray.co.uk

BOA Lifetime Member

Pressure - never been so cant give my own opinions, but from what people tell me the arches is NOT swanky

just before anyone picks up on that haha
    upcoming releases : Templ8r 1, Advanced 025, Humanoid 7, Emetic 013 - www.djscottgray.co.uk

oldbugger

already seen this Dom. ;) was quite impressed.. i'll give you a vote.

might be calling in for your december one too.. ;)

BOA Lifetime Member

ill be voting for none of them as mixmag is shit.
    \"if you don\'t explode a few heads every night, then you\'re not doing your job\" R.Hawtin IDJ 2001

oldbugger

Quote Originally Posted by eyes without a face
    Quote Originally Posted by Analbumcover

Atomic Jam, Birmingham
    Bugged Out, Liverpool
    Pressure, Glasgow
    Pure Filth, Nottingham
    Shine, Belfast
    Superconductor, Leeds

errr pardon???? lets go through this shall we.....

Atomic Jam - big night yes, swanky? no. Its been at Code and Air once respectively, apart from that can u call the Q club swanky? no way... and the Sanctuary couldnt b further away from swanky! Superstar djs... hmmmm big names yes, superstars, errrr no.. baring the big names like Rush and Clarke maybe... Finke is not a superstart Dj, Fenton isnt a superstar dj, both big names but not superstars....

Bugged Out - when it was at Nation it wasnt swanky at all, anyone who went can tell u Nation is one big shithole

Pressure - never been so cant give my own opinions, but from what people tell me the arches is swanky, the toilets are proper rank and it has its fair number of scallywags... definately not swanky

Shine - again never been but by all means not swanky. big names yes, but thats the clubs policy, big techno/house/electro acts and smaller names in teh other rooms

Superconductor - errrr definately not swanky, and has big names yes but these are quality big names, no superstar ego's at all etc etc etc

this may seem picky but i typed it because you have basically dismissed 5 superb club nights in one comment simply because you favour Pure Filth

i personally hope Atomic Jam or Superconductor wins it, but doesnt mean the other nights are any less enjoyable

jeesus chris...talk about trying to piss on somebodys chips :dontevengothere:

All he was saying is that these are all big well established, sucessfull nights turning over a lot of dosh etc... is it really so hard to understand what analbumcover was on about?

Ultimate Freak

Quote Originally Posted by Frank Dogshit
    ill be voting for none of them as mixmag is shit.
    word.

jakN is the best anyway ;)

Junior Freak

Christ, you don't need to be so hostile... I'm not knocking the other nights at all, back when the jam was at the Q I went to everyone for 5 years on the trot and I did the 220 mile round trip to Nation enough times.

I was just surprised to see Pure Filth listed alongside these more recognised nights.
    These go to eleven!!

BOA Lifetime Member

5 of these are massive nights in swanky venues catering to superstar djs

not hostility involved, i was simply making a point of how pretty biased and misleading this comment was, which it is no escaping that. Clubs like Superconductor and Atomic Jam are still pushing quality underground techno just as much as Pure Filth is. You've been atomic jam yourself you know its not swanky in the least

and these nights are definately not turning over alot of dosh as Oldbugger said, that comment couldnt be any further from the truth for a few of those clubs

it will be wikid if Pure Filth win it, i hope you do :)

BOA Lifetime Member

Wondering were Locked,Manchester is me........They dont know what there missing! :lol:
    \"if you don\'t explode a few heads every night, then you\'re not doing your job\" R.Hawtin IDJ 2001

oldbugger

[
    and these nights are definately not turning over alot of dosh as Oldbugger said
    still big amounts of cash involved compared to a small local night.. surely you can understand that..its not that difficult to understand

it's not dismissing those nights just pointing out that they are in a different league regularly pulling thousands of people and able to put on the supposed cream of the crop when we get a couple of hundred die hard techno lovers baying for blood when we have to turn it off

as for favouring Pure Filth, surely as a promoter you have to wholeheartedly believe your night is the best there is or what's the point?

my overiding philosophy when it comes to promotion is 'if i was a punter, would i go?'

VOTE FILTH!
    more bass please!

BOA Lifetime Member

being involved in playing clubs and knowing alot of promoters i understand fully the costs involved with running a club, and i know how much money some of these clubs manage to get back... i assure u Bugged Out, Atomic Jam etc do not make anywhere near what people may think, and they maybe larger amounts of money changing hands then what does between Pure Filth and their guests, staff, venue etc etc, but that shouldnt, and often doesnt, have any reflection on the quality of the night

Junior Freak

5 of these are massive nights in swanky venues catering to superstar djs

not hostility involved, i was simply making a point of how pretty biased and misleading this comment was, which it is no escaping that. Clubs like Superconductor and Atomic Jam are still pushing quality underground techno just as much as Pure Filth is. You've been atomic jam yourself you know its not swanky in the least

and these nights are definately not turning over alot of dosh as Oldbugger said, that comment couldnt be any further from the truth for a few of those clubs

it will be wikid if Pure Filth win it, i hope you do :)

Personally I would class the Que Club, Nation, Mandela Hall, The Arches and Mission as massive venues. With capacities from 1200-3000 I don't think that's too misleading.

I'd also personally class Hawtin, Mills, Clarke in the superstar DJ category. That's just my opinion though, just as you're perfectly entitled to class them all as underground.

I can't believe you think these nights don't turnover large amounts of dosh, that's just basic maths. High door price x large capacity = high turnover.... Unless all these clubs are empty all night...
    These go to eleven!!

BOA Lifetime Member

have u actually been to any of those listed nights over the past few months?

Bugged Out certainly does not "regulary get thousands". The last event in liverpool was absolutely empty compared to their heydays a few years back, there was about 150 people there!

the last few Atomic Jams ive been too definately havent had thousands there, maybe close too a thousand people but definately not thousands dude.

yes the venues you mentioned are massive, but not swanky. There is a difference.

as ive said some of these nights do turn over lots of cash, but not as much as people think, especially after costs.

u guys are taking this all to heart a little i think, im in no way dissing ur club, just pointing out a few facts thats all

oldbugger

surely you can see that these club nights are a different league (not in a bad way)?

BOA Lifetime Member

for ****s sake lad of course i can, i never once said they werent

Ultimate Freak

yeah, as much as i can see what ewaf is saying, i do think some of those clubs could be classed as 'swanky'.

bugged out used to do techno in sankeys, but then went decidely 'tech house' over the last years, and the cream associations have only helped the 'plastic techno swankyness'.

atomic has always catered for more 'commercial' techno tastes, and though cutting edge, doesnt really go that dark. ade fenton, wether he is like it or not, is received by most people i have ever talked to, as the most 'wannabe superstar' in modern techno. as i say, he might not feel he's done anyhting to push that image, but its definitely out there.

most of the venues for the clubs mentioned may not be super polished, but they are huge!!! and i'm fairly sure that they all charge over a tenner to get in. there is some considerable money being made, but some considerable fees being demanded by djs.

for me, i'd vote for superconductor, for keeping it so underground and unheard of whilst packing people in, and getting decent djs in as well.

but frankly....... its mixmag, they have no valid opinion whatsoever!!!
    but i hope pure filth get some votes too :)
    I dont know. You give people freedom and what do the do with it?
    WHATEVER THEY BLOODY WELL LIKE!

BOA Lifetime Member

what i want to know is what is bugged out doing in there?

i certainly don't think it could be classed as a techno night.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast