Welcome to the Blackout Audio Techno Forums :: Underground Network.
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: kicks

Junior Freak

Default kicks

do any of you use delay on your drums and or percussion ..if so is it the same delay settings.. or do u jsut use compression ...ive found luck using a echo or delay on my percussion and some compression on the kicks to get em to thump..all together it seems to mix well..but then again sometimes it doesnt work...so basically do u use delay or echo on your percusion to get em to roll or chugg along..and mayeb kick to or def not the kick..etc

Supreme Freak

Hi there, i think it is all about experimenting. There is no one way to do things, just keep tryin different techniques and choose the best ones that work for you.

acieeeeeeeeeeeeed

sometimes using delay is good, it certainly does help to fill out a tune and add a little looseness, but like anything, dont over do it
    Life is "trying things to see if they work"

Finally getting around to updating my site
    http://www.plus27design.co.uk/

Dave knows scooter lyrics

BOA Lifetime Member

Instead of a delay on drums, get a reverb with the predelay set to be in time with the tune. Sounds wicked...
    Pure F*ckin' Noize Terror...

Junior Freak

k thanks..sometimes i wanna seee if peopel are gonan asay what im thinking..im never too sure of myself..haha

BOA Lifetime Member

Reverb with predelay, huge amounts of compression, then layer about four or five different kicks on top of each other - each one adding something different.

Then you get an uber kick with a beefy chunk and gut kicking slam.

BOA Lifetime Member

that's the baby...
    Pure F*ckin' Noize Terror...

BOA Lifetime Member

Quote Originally Posted by Scott Kemix
    Hi there, i think it is all about experimenting. There is no one way to do things, just keep tryin different techniques and choose the best ones that work for you.
    very sound advice indeed

BOA Lifetime Member

sometimes a bit of delay on a kick works but ya get to get it right...i always put delay on percussion, like someoine said earlier it fills out the tune / fills in the gaps. but like kemix said, experiment, thats the best way to learn ;)
    Be Lucky!

Junior Freak

Reverb with predelay, huge amounts of compression, then layer about four or five different kicks on top of each other - each one adding something different.

Then you get an uber kick with a beefy chunk and gut kicking slam.

ok so i have it going 1 2 3 4 (the kicks lets jsut say) and set the predelay to wear it like it...then add compression (to make it thump right)... and do the rest of the layed kicks get the same predelay and the same compression or jsut predelay or jsut compression etc....and after that is all said and done i get another kick to be the main kick on top of that? its sorta what i do now..but i guess i havent found the right combo yet i eithe rover do it or under do it....thanks man great advice..gonan go try now

BOA Lifetime Member

Quote Originally Posted by acidsaturation
    Instead of a delay on drums, get a reverb with the predelay set to be in time with the tune. Sounds wicked...

Is that something (in tune?) or is there a way to calculate the apropriate
    predelay, i.e. a formula?

btw, i know the 'offbeat-predelay-kick' trick, is it that one your talking about, when the return from the kick-verb plays in the offbeat? :?:

Junior Freak

yes that is what im trying to describe got any helpful hints for that trick..thanks..

Administrator

urrrgh formula's with delays. they're the worst in my book! i used to have a delay chart in the studio and then one day it caught fire, totally destroyed. and the tracks from that point onward just sounded so much better. keep the standard presets of calculated delays, but then just knock them off slightly if you can and feel which ones you like best. i suppose it's all about filling tracks out and if you have everything ridged it all sounds too clean. see what i mean??

to me, delays are a super important part of the hard techno sound...

BOA Lifetime Member

Quote Originally Posted by tracatak
    yes that is what im trying to describe got any helpful hints for that trick..thanks..

you could try this: send your kick to a send channel (obviously) with a reverb on it, then play with the reverb's 'predelay' setting until the reverbed kix fall between the normal ones. that's it mainly.

additionaly, i heard u don't want to much stuff going on in the 300-500 Hz region of the reverb return
    (--->to avoid mud, i suppose).

you could also compress the reverb return i suppose to avoid the mud and make sure there's no very deep bass there, use the 'cut(off)' setting on the send verb, as well

BOA Lifetime Member

Quote Originally Posted by MARK EG
    urrrgh formula's with delays. they're the worst in my book! i used to have a delay chart in the studio and then one day it caught fire, totally destroyed. and the tracks from that point onward just sounded so much better. keep the standard presets of calculated delays, but then just knock them off slightly if you can and feel which ones you like best. i suppose it's all about filling tracks out and if you have everything ridged it all sounds too clean. see what i mean??

to me, delays are a super important part of the hard techno sound...

any suggestions...
    please go into detail, m8

Junior Freak

:love: x 10 with this help ...thanks ...ive been playing with predelay all night...

BOA Mod

Agree with the EG on this one. Delays are the daddy and you defo have to be careful with them. I used to have a delay chart as well, but the calculation for 1/4 br delay times is in my head now, so dont really need it. Plus i wrote a program on my graphing calc that lets me do all sorts of other stuff. I can post the formulae for syncing frequencies to tempo if anyones interested.

watchword for delays? be creative.

Supreme Freak

Quote Originally Posted by dodgyedgy
    I can post the formulae for syncing frequencies to tempo if anyones interested.
    yea man could be helpfull to a few producers on this site.

BOA Mod

It'll take me while, its in my liitle black book (very sad indeed, most blokes have a book with womens numbers in - mine has formulae )

Its not very long, and not very complex, but it does work. Also has other implications for sequencer ticks and exact note lengths.

I dont use it very much, but its great for getting more bass power out of lower notes...

soon, soon, fly my wing'd monkeys, bring the ruby shoes to me!

Junior Freak

Id love to see that Formulae aswell Dodgyedgy.

;)
    Rowlanz - Faith, Trust & Love
    Rowlanz & McGowan - Winging It

De Novo (Digital)

OUT NOW

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast