Welcome to the Blackout Audio Techno Forums :: Underground Network.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Junior Freak

Default sidechain werks best with what sounds?

say u wanan sidechain a kick with somethign ...i find best results so far witha crash...not sure why but i do..ha!....can any1 else recommend somethign else to sidechain a kick with to get that dirty hardtechno ...schranz ....style...

(for example k--- k--- k--- k---
    ---c ---c ---c ---c

can any1 recommend a other sound to put in the place of the C (crash)

thanks

Keepin' it Unreal

How about whatever sounds good to you?

acieeeeeeeeeeeeed

Quote Originally Posted by IQ
    i'd go with that, i also find the sound of a midget being tickled by ken dodd works rather well
    Life is "trying things to see if they work"

Finally getting around to updating my site
    http://www.plus27design.co.uk/

Dave knows scooter lyrics

Parsnip

Quote Originally Posted by dan the acid man
    i also find the sound of a midget being tickled by ken dodd works rather well
    Ah, brings back memories...

BOA Mod

The envelope of the sound being used to duck affects the way in which the compressor reacts. Sidechaining EQ also affects the way in which the compressor reacts.

e.g. longer sounds lead to a longer duck

quack quack!

Junior Freak

thanks for the tips..NO THANKS FOR THE SARCASISM IQ ;)

Supreme Freak

i think the sarcasm was meant to tell you that you've got the cart in front of the horse to an extent. your question is like an artsit asking, "what objects besides the sky are good to paint blue?"

i think you need to imagine how you want to sound, listen to how you actually sound, and try to figure out what needs to be done to get from one to the other. sometimes the answer might be to paint it blue, but it will always depend on the context.

hope that helps.

acieeeeeeeeeeeeed

yes, especially if the sky is grey that day ;)
    Life is "trying things to see if they work"

Finally getting around to updating my site
    http://www.plus27design.co.uk/

Dave knows scooter lyrics

BOA Lifetime Member

Quote Originally Posted by IQ
    I know it's sarcastic but I'd have to go with that.

BOA Lifetime Member

Jay, what plugs are you using for sidechaining? The only one I 've gotten to work is the TC Dex plug in combo with theit key input plug. every other sidechainer listed on this forum has not worked for me.
    A person belonging to one or more Order is just as likely to carry a flag of the counter-establishment as the flag of the establishment, just as long as it is a flag. --P.D.

Junior Freak

ive had similar problems...i guess im not doing it the right way or with good enough sounds/samples...i hada really good one but it was only the demo i need the real version...did u send me that plug in with the whole lot u sent to me a while back..im sure u did..IM ME sometime..we can discuss more.. :lol:

Ultimate Freak

what is sidechaining (and i mean in real simpletons terms)
    i've read an explanation of it before but ended up more confused for it

Supreme Freak

Quote Originally Posted by MangaFish
    what is sidechaining (and i mean in real simpletons terms)
    i've read an explanation of it before but ended up more confused for it
    triggering the compressor from a second sound, instead of the sound that is being compressed.

BOA Lifetime Member

in the other words,,. compressor will be controlled by another sound (key input), it means both sounds will not play simultaneously,. trigger will play and compressed sound will be affected by the adsr envelope of trigger.

just imagine adsr envelope of the trigger (ie kick). Trigger will hit and as sound is sustaining. compressed sound will go up almost on the same curve (reversed) as trigger sound.

curve shape will be affected by the settings on compressor on compressed sound.....parameters like,,ratio,thresh.. will do the compressed sound more go-ahead,,,or just gradual...

so.. i hope it's not too confusing,. and hope this is all true.. i just tried to describe my understanding of sidechain.. if i could talk in Czech,.,would be better, imo..
    "Computer games don't affect kids, I mean if Pac Man affected us as kids, we'd all run around in a darkened room munching pills and listening to repetitive music."
    -Kristian Wilson, Nintendo Inc

Junior Freak

I thought you sidechain a compressor to a ducker, so your bass ducks your kick when the compressor gets triggered and goes into the attack bit.

Never done it before though...it's just what I remember. It seems to make sense...is that right?

Keepin' it Unreal

Quote Originally Posted by rounser
    I thought you sidechain a compressor to a ducker, so your bass ducks your kick when the compressor gets triggered and goes into the attack bit.

Never done it before though...it's just what I remember. It seems to make sense...is that right?
    In most cases, a side chain is usually used to attenuate other sounds when the kick hits to give a pumping effect. Mainly this is used to attenuate the bass. Personally i tend to use quite harsh sidechaining on a lot of instruments to get a really drastic pump effect.

Junior Freak

Cheers :)

Ultimate Freak

right - i think i understand:

sidechaining is when the compressor works indipendantly to the sound its compressing?

what benifit would i get from sidechaining?

Keepin' it Unreal

Sidechaining is using an input audio source's amplitude to control a parameter. Mainly this is used with a compressor to attenuate other sounds when the Kick hits, so you get to here the kick nice and loud above the rest of the track without actually making the kick louder. This is also refered to as "pump".

Junior Freak

sidechaining is when the compressor works indipendantly to the sound its compressing?
    Not exactly, from what I understand...it's more a way of using the compressor's "smarts" to trigger some other effect as well. Compressors are "smart" because they listen to the incoming audio and choose when they should do their thing, based on the threshold setting. A sidechain lets you send that "effect ON" command that the compressor sends to itself to another effect as well.

So you can be compressing one track quite happily, but rigging up a sidechain from that compressor to another effect lets you say "oh, yeah, and whenever that compressor gets triggered, I also want you to trigger a ducker effect on the bass on this other track." So your compressor is also controlling other effects, and the sidechain makes sure that the other effect gets triggered when the compressor does.

In theory, you could hook a compressor sidechain up to reverb (or whatever), such that something gets reverb whenever compression kicks in, but there wouldn't be much point to that...a ducker, gate, or another compressor seem to be the most useful things to sidechain to (I've heard of sidechaining a compressor up to a gate on the high hats, for instance).

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast