Welcome to the Blackout Audio Techno Forums :: Underground Network.
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Jerome Hill

Administrator

Default Jerome Hill

I know many of us on here are massive fans of his DJing ability. I heard him for the first time about 3 months ago and was totally blown away. Oh my god he did a mix with 'White Lines' and I think I wet myself. But hey - that was only one set! Has anyone got any links to his mixes/info about him for those who don't know/info about what parties he's at etc etc????

Perhaps we can all talk about the way/what he mixes and why ppl seem to love it so much? Is he really the future of techno or are ppl just getting all nostalgic cause he's playing alot of older stuff in a very clever way?

Perhaps all the older genration believe the 'future of techno' is to mix the old with the new??? But is this really the way forward????

Interesting indeed.

Prince Of Warthogs

Default the master of making it look all too easy

jerome is definately the king of wonk in my opinion
    although he would make a face if he read that
    which is why i like him really
    i was talking to rob stow yesterday (the other half of groove asylum and a damn fine techno producer to boot)
    and the shop is still going but i think cash is pretty tight. basically the guy that runs the place is not prepared to give anymore of the shop floor space over to jerome and not prepared to advertise ie. upfront/dj etc etc
    but constantly bothers jerome about the fact that the shop needs more trade.
    perhaps it's time for him to get out and do his own thing i'm sure it would work as many of you will agree im sure that it's very much the vibe of the shop that counts in many peoples minds y'know, the staff and their knowledge is what brings you back time and time again and no one has more knowledge in his feild than jerome i think
    let's hope things pick up
    in fact get active and go down there and get some blinding new records!
    tracheadz- kentish town high road ( can't remeber the number but it's roughly in the middle of kentish town and camden town tube stations.
    love your mum

Junior Freak

i not really heard much about this man but with kudos like that for you too im looking forawrd to his appearance alongside timbeland at House of God on the 25th of july:
    \"When I die I am going to heaven, for i have spent my time in hell.....\"

Junior Freak

i not really heard much about this man but with kudos like that from you two im looking forawrd to his appearance alongside timbeland at House of God on the 25th of july:

Ultimate Freak

Mark, Have you checked out the dogma mix? It's right by the recording of my live act from the same night http://www.clubdogma.com/mediatunes.htm

We surely kicked some 'burger arse that night, it was dogma vs Uglyfunk... I was so glad I was playing live and not djing, he's a real tough act to follow!

Ultimate Freak

Default Re: the master of making it look all too easy

Quote Originally Posted by davethedrummer
    i'm sure it would work as many of you will agree im sure that it's very much the vibe of the shop that counts in many peoples minds y'know, the staff and their knowledge is what brings you back time and time again and no one has more knowledge in his feild than jerome i think
    I've been buying records from Jerome for 3 years or so, and I must say it's really refreshing to go to a shop and instead of being met with scowls and arsyness, be met with "what are you into, mate?" and being given 50+ tunes to check out in your own time.. kept me coming back time and time again....

Prince Of Warthogs

**** is jerome playing at h.o.g.????!!!???
    that's wicked
    he'll tear it up!!!!
    love your mum

Supreme Freak

Default Re: Jerome Hill

Quote Originally Posted by MARK EG
    I know many of us on here are massive fans of his DJing ability. I heard him for the first time about 3 months ago and was totally blown away. Oh my god he did a mix with 'White Lines' and I think I wet myself. But hey - that was only one set! Has anyone got any links to his mixes/info about him for those who don't know/info about what parties he's at etc etc????
    He's playing at Ugly Funk next Saturday (the 12th July) at The Dungeons, London E10

Also, there will be a cracking 2hour+ mix from Jerome available on the Overload Media website mid next week, I'll let you know when it's live.

Administrator

right i just checked out his set on dogma.

this is what i think now from driving down the M1 in a car:

i don't like his scratching - although it defo adds his own 'style' to the sound.

i felt that he wasn't playing anything 'new'. although he was totally unique and as far as a 'live' dj set goes, he was technically very good.

i used to be into this sound about 5-10 yrs ago - labels like Tresor/Sativae and Cris Vogel/Neil Landstrumm. Si Begg/Tim Wright are obviously huge influeces in his sound.

but what is so innovaive about this style. it's been around for years?

no matter how much i'll wet myself to this stuff, i don't find it innovative, but i DO totally love it.

Ultimate Freak

I think you have to look back to look forward, and surely the job of a good dj is to mix the best of the old , with the most cutting edge of the new stuff.. I can understand your reservations with the scratching, but you gotta admit, the bit with the accapella over the primate record is really cool...

I recon it's essencial to mash up old stuff with new when you dj... if you want totally new stuff then check out live stuff, I recon it's only with Live stuff you really stand a chance to totally hear stuff you havn't heard before....

Was he playin at dogma (Edinburgh)???? Dunno, bout it being essential too mix up old and new, personally i like too be upfront as possible. Kinda annoys me when djs play loads of old tunes.

And on the record shop note, there is nothing better in the whole world than friendly staff... there is FOPP store in edinburgh, and they are arsey as ****, i also play trance and harder sounds of trance, and if the arsey blues livin guy snarls at me again for buyin hard tech or hard trance, im gonna jump over the counter and give him something too gobble on.
    www.clubabsolute.co.uk

Absolute with Alex Kidd & Paul Webster - 18th April
    Absolute with Stoneface & Terminal & Bryan Kearney - 16th May
    Anjunabeats 100 tour - Above and Beyond, Jaytech & Myself - 24th May
    Gatecrasher Edinburgh - 25th May

Ultimate Freak

on top of this, I do really feel that the majority of music you'll hear at a techno night is one sound and that's it... The whole scene sometimes seems to have become segregated...I remember times when people used to put a vogel tune next to an advent tune, so the sound was more varied, people these days just seem to want to hear one kind of thing and that's it... Fair enough if you like that, but personally I'm not really into it, I find it boring, hearing people playing one record after the next that seem to me to sound exactly the same... Sometimes it feels like people have become so obsessed with the production, that the actual content is forgotten about... Yeah, Jerome plays a lot of old stuff, but he plays a lot of new stuff as well, the more Abstract style that followed on from Sativae/Drought, New artists such as Rotorik, Marcin Czubala, Bill Youngman, Forshaw.. And in a world where everyone is going on about a certain DJ's "Skills" and their ability to cut scratch and whatever, jerome is tight, and would seriously give anyone else a serious run for their money.......

Junior Freak

yeah he is playing hog on the 25th of july should be a goodun.. when u say scratching mark do you mean full on turntablaism or just bits here and there.. i'm very intrigued now...

Prince Of Warthogs

i'll jump in for mark in answer
    it's just a bit of scrtching really (only on the left hand deck actually)
    y'know i've played with jerome hundreds of times at squat parties and i have to say that it's just recently that he's really got going in his style.
    he's always been jerome that's for sure but maybe he's just believing in himself a little more these days and playing better as a result.

i mean i've seen jerome totallly plod the crowd out and then the acid techno guy comes on and blows the place up
    and in the same breath he has stood the party on it's head after many acid techno and techno djs have bored everyone sensless.
    basically my point is that too much of one thing is just ****ing boring for everyone.
    you need old records/ hard records / cutting edge records/ clubby records
    in essence we need jerome but he needs us
    BUT!

no more ragga please i ****ing hate ragga!
    love your mum

Prince Of Warthogs

sorry got that wrong its the right hand deck
    love your mum

Prince Of Warthogs

actually i say just a bit of scratchning
    it's very good scratching
    love your mum

Junior Freak

sounds like im in for an interesting night then at the end of the month: i listened to the set from dogma i understand what you saying about the monotony of it: after the first 30 minutes I felt like i had heard all i was goin to hear (if you get me drift) he plays some nice music though:

to be honest im looking forward to it now:

BOA Lifetime Member

Just my thoughs exactly I wouldn't say (at all) that I play any really out of this world stuff or amazing skills.. but this is somethin I feel very strongly about ... techno is really diverse so I think u can serve up a really good melange... sure u have 2 b carefull and keep the plot, but it is really great seing ppl like :D cause they don't know were u r taking them next (mind u while keeping 2 the 4/4 techno :) ) .... seriously try getting some wacky booty vocals over a hardtechno tune and see people going crazy!! eheheh
    I played not so long ago with a "very famous" dj/ producer (Italian name ending in ola) and although he had very good skills I totally bored me out.. 30 m and I called it a night.. in fact I think that if he had worst skills would b better 'cause it would sound like such a continuos bongo/ conga loop :) ..

Z
    Djax-Up Beats rec, Minimalistix Rec, Holtzplatten Rec, Invasion Rec, Fined Rec., bla bla bla

Junior Freak

DJ Ze MigL: do you have any sets online mate? i'd be interested in having a listen?

Ultimate Freak

it doesn't really build that much. and the scratching, whats the point????

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast