Welcome to the Blackout Audio Techno Forums :: Underground Network.
Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast
    Prince Of Warthogs

Default techno on radio 1

lot's of people have been slagging fergie recently for playing techno
    but i think it's just sour grapes
    personally i think it's a good thing
    o.k. perhaps his choice is a little cheesy from time to time
    and i don't really care whether he can mix or not

but i say it's all good
    love your mum

Ultimate Freak

certainly makes the word "Techno" i bit more acceptable to the majority of people... I remember times flyering for nights and people would ask, "What's the music" And you'd say "Techno" and they'd looked at you like you just told them that you had skinned their cat and eaten it for dinner! I find it quite amusing how people can moan that there's nothing going on, and that no-one is into techno, and then start whinging when it's getting played on radio one...

Junior Freak

Default Re: techno on radio 1

Quote Originally Posted by davethedrummer
    lot's of people have been slagging fergie recently for playing techno
    but i think it's just sour grapes
    personally i think it's a good thing
    o.k. perhaps his choice is a little cheesy from time to time
    and i don't really care whether he can mix or not

but i say it's all good
    Do you call that Techno??...He trys but fails miserably!!!!

Prince Of Warthogs

yeah i think it's techno (some of the time)
    he plays ben simms / umek / marco bailey
    o.k. perhaps this is the trancier end of techno
    but it's still techno.

good on him i say
    it'll broaden peoples minds to accept this music and hopefully lead on to more people being into the harder end of it.
    love your mum

BOA Lifetime Member
    Birkenhead, shithole but it's my shithole.

ben sims trancey?

It bothered me at first, but to be honest he will be playing something else in a few months, he`s just a typical band wagon jumper... the "techno" he plays is not what i class as techno anyway.
    lol the trance has gone

BOA Lifetime Member

i dont have a big problem with Fergie, he never will b accepted as a techno dj and i can hardly see him making a name as a techno producer, so it doesnt bother me wot hes playin or where he is playing it. the only 1 good thing about his show is the people he gets on it, so far he has had Dave Clarke, The Space Djs and also Ade has had a spot on his show, so at least we are getting to hear some decent djs outside of the clubs and on the radio

Prince Of Warthogs

yeah quite right
    i really miss listening to the 2 colins on kiss years ago.
    they played some groundbreaking stuff back in the day
    love your mum

BOA Lifetime Member

u mean Dale and Favor? yeah, class shows, got a few on tape from my older brother but cant seem to find em.

Junior Freak

I agree that more techno anywhere is a good thing, because most people really have no clue what techno even is. I've played a few sets to people who aren't techno-heads, and the majority response has been "Wow, I didn't know techno was like that" - people seem to have this assumption that all techno is just thud-thud-thud with no fun or funk. For most people when they hear it they're pleasently surprised :)

Junior Freak

Quote Originally Posted by davethedrummer
    yeah quite right
    i really miss listening to the 2 colins on kiss years ago.
    they played some groundbreaking stuff back in the day
    The outer limits/abstract dance etc excellent shows, I miss em to......really got me into techno years ago listening to shows and Djs like Favor/Dale....so I guess it's good to have techno on the radio, however, I personally i don't rate Fergie anywhere near people like colin dale/favor.....have still got some old colin dale mix tapes knocking about and they are still ****in' quality, not fancy mixing but just great music.....

BOA Lifetime Member

i say bring back clarkey's technology internet radio show
    GREYGROUND

BOA Lifetime Member

If you want a good techno radio show listen to locked groove`s on proton radio (www.protonradio.com)

first wednesday of the month with Ryan Blackman (lol shouldn`t mention his name on here, you all think he is the devil) & Lee Bolton.

last week they had dj babbydaddy on, and it was an excellent nights listening, all 3 played great sets.

next month they have gunny on and then ollie ho the month after
    lol the trance has gone

Junior Freak

It's all a question of motive for me. Techno is, or should be, an inclusive genre and should welcome anyone to it so long as they are doing it for the right reaons i.e the love of the music. However, if they are bandwagon jumping or trying to gain kudos by association and bigging up some underground credentials they never had then that's a whole different matter. I personally suspect Fairgies motives ("oh, have I mentioned Tony DeVit in the last 10 minutes" :roll: ), and even the briefest examination of his musical history will show he has never had any real love or understanding of techno, so any claims now that he is 'bang into it' are suspect to say the least.

However, personal views of Fairgie aside, I've got nothing against a bit of populism and anything that encourages more people to get into the music is a good thing in my book - well I try to promote a clubnight so it'd be kwazy to diss anything that might bring more people throgh the doors.

My main worry with Radio 1 and any other commercial broadcaster is that they have an obligation to try and maximise the amount of listeners they get. No matter how much we all love it, the majority of the techno we like is unpalatable to your average Joe, so they will always choose a watered down, more common denominator version to play to them. And this in turn leads to ignorant Ben Shermans turning up in techno clubs expecting you to be playing Darude's Sandstorm, (Techno! Techno! Techno! anyone ?) and then kicking off when you continue to play the music you've always played.

If radio 1 really wants to play techno, then they should get someone in who actually knows and has some history in the scene. Nothing wrong with the theory, it's just the way they put it into practice that concerns me.

Junior Freak

Quote Originally Posted by techfunk02
    If you want a good techno radio show listen to locked groove`s on proton radio (www.protonradio.com)

first wednesday of the month with Ryan Blackman (lol shouldn`t mention his name on here, you all think he is the devil) & Lee Bolton.

last week they had dj babbydaddy on, and it was an excellent nights listening, all 3 played great sets.

next month they have gunny on and then ollie ho the month after
    Yet again TF you are right on the mark ! Looking forward to the Gunny broadcast.
    Can you post something I disagree with please, because we're getting a bit like the Mutual Appreciation Society. :lol:

BOA Lifetime Member

:lol: great minds think alike
    lol the trance has gone

BOA Lifetime Member

oh and something to diagree with, hmmmm I think the spice girls were the most groundbreaking artists of the 90`s
    lol the trance has gone

Ultimate Freak

if he wants to do that let him do it i say. it is a free world and he is not hurting anyone. I think in a way it is a good thing in the sense of spreading the word, but perhaps not so good in the sense that it is dangerously close to becoming the next mainstream dance sound. This could lead to watered down techno artists just making it for a quick buck recieving all the rewards , and all our beloved techno heroes who have been working hard all these years to earn enough to feed the kids get overlooked...
    its about £25 a minute on radio 1 though isnt it? sure could use that at the moment..
    jimmah!

Administrator

i'm with patrick. get someone on who knows what techno is all about and can present it in the right way. fergie's mixing is dreadful. his choice of tunes is awful and all he ever seems to do is opt for watered down techno that has (a) a sound and (b) a breakdown.

i'm all for the sound of techno being taken further, but to me fergie is just not techno.

BOA Lifetime Member

Fergie is an Irish knobhead, Lisa Lashes is playing a lot of techno now too and it frustrates me! Is it me or are they just jumping onto any style of music which they think is the most popular to keep there names in the scene?

I say stick to one style, maybe 2 if you can get away with it, and stay devoted to the genre of music you love, if you genuinely stop liking that style and move onto another because you have had a change of heart, then fair play, but don't start playing stuff to keep yourself popular, like Fergie and co.

Corbz - Out

Prince Of Warthogs

well well corbz a bit of a racist jube going on in your last post.
    is fergie just a knobhead from ireland or is it the fact that he is irish that makes him a knob head?you want to straighten this one out mate.
    anyway you can't be so exclusive about a style of music that is so small it's threatening to burn itself out, people have to be introduced to it and if it has to be "FERGS" then so be it.
    i do however agree with mark and patrick that if there is going to be techno on radio 1 at least put someone one who has a long history with the style and isn't scared to really let you have it.
    but it's all swings and roundabouts really. i mean some of our stuff gets played on the fergie show , now some may argue that london techno isn't techno but i say what the hell is it then? it ain't hard house and it aint trance it isn't even really "acid" techno these days so anyway "FERGS" plays it occasionally and i rekon if some really techno geezer did his show we would never get a play because we aint very purist sounding.
    so what does it take to get a job as a radio 1 dj??
    i reckon chris lib should be put forward for it actually mark too as you're both good mediators and i reckon we'd get a much wider selection than if it were someone like say billy nasty for example.
    who do you reckon would make a good radio one dj to represent the techno scene in full with no predjudice but with something for everyone and really reliable dependable knowledge of the whole scene?
    love your mum

Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast