Welcome to the Blackout Audio Techno Forums :: Underground Network.
    Junior Freak

Default Soundforge Mastering?

I have recorded a mix through Soundforge, and the quality seems ok except that it sounds a little too bass heavy, how do I go on about reducing the bass of the whole file in Soundforge without reducing the volume? Is there mastering functions on Soundforge to do this?

Supreme Freak

you'd be better off doing the changes on your mixer and re-recording. Just drop the kick drum or bass line down a bit depending on which is coming through the loudest.

Junior Freak

I need to know if you can do it on Soundforge, because I have three mixes all done, the quality is good, I just need to know if I can master it, in other words just lower the bass down a little if I can, can I or not?

Junior Freak

Just select the entire wav and put some eq on it. Works perfect

Junior Freak

What would be the step by step process if you don't mind, I have three EQ sections (Graphic, Paragraphic & Parametric), which do I go with to minimize the bass heavy side of the quality?

Supreme Freak

if you use the parametric you can filter out individual frequencies, which is much more accurate, or if you use the graphic you can bring down a range of frequencies (like a dj mixer). I cant tell you how to do it step by step as i dont use soundforge.

Junior Freak

Its cool, I did a quick graphic eq and it sounds a little better now, thanks heaps for that.

Junior Freak

It's pretty easy as you can see. Why not try some other effects as well to beef up your mix.

Junior Freak

yeah u should always fix it in the mix. But for your question sound forge is fark'n excellent for mastering.

Try this:
    a) bring up paragraphic eq
    b) default all parameters
    c) narrow your bandwidth to 0.3 oct on one of the eq's
    d) give that same eq a boost so its at +15db (nice n loud)
    e) press preview and move the centre frequency (usually around 50 to 100hz for that too much bass bit) around till u find the most offending part (where everythings farting and rumbling).
    f) now that u found the main offending frequency, just reduce the volume of it to what sounds nice.

Remember it's better to do all this in the mix though. If your using fruity, u can do the same thing with the parametric eq in fruity and just do it on your bass line or kick drums or whatever. :)

Junior Freak

Quote Originally Posted by FIK
    Why not try some other effects as well to beef up your mix.
    Like to bring back up the top end in a bass heavy mix, normalise it to 98% in soundforge, then use the SonyWave Hammer (or Waves L1, L2 or L3 if you have any of them) to compress it again.