Welcome to the Blackout Audio Techno Forums :: Underground Network.
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Ultimate Freak

Default Re: Time for change???

Quote Originally Posted by MARK EG
    I'm talking about the dancefloor. Not experimental shit.
    Sorry to drag you up on this again, but to be honest, it's gotta go more experimental to change... this is precisely what I've been saying before, most people into techno have such a narrow agenda of what it is, that they overlook anything that is truely pushing the boundaries, because they don't consider it to be techno or "The kind of techno they're into"... This is why you keep hearing about the same people, or if not the same names, the same kind of sound, as anyone who strays outside of that gets described of as experimental... there's nothing wrong with being into straight up dancefloor stuff, but in 2003 it's not really pushing any boundaries whatsoever... I think basslines is cool though, if there's one way forward, it's maybe bringing the melody back in whilst keeping it on the floor...

Junior Freak

Take everything i say with a grain of salt by the way
    I mean i own 2 Shania Twain cds paid for in full

my taste is questionable

Ultimate Freak

Quote Originally Posted by RichieV
    i also think most techno needs a better back beat.
    Things just seem to groove better with a back beat

i'm a trance guy tho so what do i know.

well since i'm on my beef with techno and sharing some ideas of what might make it better, i might as well get it all out

most techno sounds too loose. It would be like comparing a 60s jazz drumset to the jazz recorded today. The later being alot tighter( sorry for the drum references, i used to be a drum fanatic) . I would like techno alot more if the sound was alot tighter and compressed.

Another thing in techno i can't stand hearing is the 909 clap unprocessed. It sounds so boring. Again my opinion. Has the sound of techno evolved at all since the last 5 years? Seems alot of guys still use those outdated over played unprossed 909 sounds.

Finally i find most techno too straight. I think it would sound better if the hihats were swung or something making it groove a little more.
    why don't you stick to your trance then? 8)

Ultimate Freak

Man, theres so many cool upcoming artists that are just getting signed to labels or who will soon. Its going to be a little bit yet, but I'm kind of excited for these new faces in techno.

Junior Freak

Quote Originally Posted by crime
    Quote Originally Posted by RichieV
    i also think most techno needs a better back beat.
    Things just seem to groove better with a back beat

i'm a trance guy tho so what do i know.

well since i'm on my beef with techno and sharing some ideas of what might make it better, i might as well get it all out

most techno sounds too loose. It would be like comparing a 60s jazz drumset to the jazz recorded today. The later being alot tighter( sorry for the drum references, i used to be a drum fanatic) . I would like techno alot more if the sound was alot tighter and compressed.

Another thing in techno i can't stand hearing is the 909 clap unprocessed. It sounds so boring. Again my opinion. Has the sound of techno evolved at all since the last 5 years? Seems alot of guys still use those outdated over played unprossed 909 sounds.

Finally i find most techno too straight. I think it would sound better if the hihats were swung or something making it groove a little more.
    why don't you stick to your trance then? 8)
    Well the author of this post specificaly mentioned " dancefloor " . Woudl'nt the opinion of someone that does'nt know techno be important too ? I am telling you as a normal person listening to techno at a club , why i can't stand it.

Administrator

i said no experimental shit cause i wanted to really focus on the dancefloor. sure, it'd be great if we could go all weird and wacked out but we can't at the mo - that'll come in time hopefully.

so i wanted to focus on the dancefloor and stuff that is going to make ppl dance right now.

Ultimate Freak

so i wanted to focus on the dancefloor and stuff that is going to make ppl dance right now.
    Hertz/Sway.

Administrator

Richie V

you're obviously not listening to techno properly. nearly everything you said had made me sit up and go 'waaaaaaaaaat????!!!!!!!!'. like everything your saying what techno is not about is what it IS about. you're definitely not hearing what you should be hearing.

my advice: lock yourself in a room for 24 hours and play some glenn wilson/hereos/planet rhythm tracks over and over.

then tell me techno isn't about bass.

then tell me techno isn't about tightness.

you've either got cotton wool in your ears or your local DJ's are playing 2 Unlimited rave techno anthems.

hmmmmm..... try to open your mind to this. there's obviously a reason why so many ppl are passionate about this music. make it your mission to find out why

Administrator

MARK EG wrote:

and in the near future of course.

Junior Freak

Default Re: Yeah

What we need is a brain impulse capture that feeds off the reaction of the crowd thus ensuring the best response. Our job would be to tweak the reaction , thus helping the performance.

Quote Originally Posted by kss
    It's a pity programmers don't write music!!! - Otherwise we probably would have those sorts of programs..........

What's needed is a better interface for dynamic control of sound generation - how this could be done I don't know!!!

Junior Freak

i try to understand every day
    i still can't figure it out

i have yet to hear a techno song with really good bass
    maybe you could give me the name of some tunes.

Ultimate Freak

!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    i have yet to hear a TRANCE tune with really good bass!!!!
    jimmah!

BOA Lifetime Member
    Birkenhead, shithole but it's my shithole.

I have yet to hear a trance tune with really good anything
    lol the trance has gone

Junior Freak

bassraiders - goingcrazy
    thickest bass i have heard in a tune

and it is trance

BOA Lifetime Member
    Birkenhead, shithole but it's my shithole.

Richie you have made me laugh this morning, claiming techno has no bass... **** peter kay, you are a real comedian :lol:
    lol the trance has gone

Junior Freak

maybe by bass we mean different things

sure techno is bassy
    but there is no distinct bass pattern that cuts thru in the mix
    Techno does'nt seem to focus on the bass

thats my opinion anways

Administrator

hey guys, i've started another topic about bass in techno.

can we get back to the subject matter!?!?!!

BOA Lifetime Member

Bring back the humour, funky rythms (doesn't mean they can't b hard)... and yes it's time for out of this world synth (or other) sounds ... Voices can b somethin 2 had a little extra... don't ask me how (i generally go 4 the booty aproach) but it must b possible 2 include this element leaving out the cheese!!

Z
    Djax-Up Beats rec, Minimalistix Rec, Holtzplatten Rec, Invasion Rec, Fined Rec., bla bla bla

BOA Lifetime Member

hey guys, i've started another topic about bass in techno.

can we get back to the subject matter!?!?!!

ok techno needs a change. ...

the problem is any slight change tends to get too much attention too fast is quickly gobbled up and dissected by the media, websites, forums ;), etc.. I wonder how long the whole 80's atkins, may, saunderson detroit buzz would have lasted under todays media glare?

Everything is moving too fast. People feel pressured .

I think that it is time for techno to leave the city and go for a walk in the countryside to get some fresh air. The immediate future isnt about new sounds its about new locations and its high time we suicide bombed the club and setup camp on the hills where no-one can tell us when to leave, how much to pay, where to sit or what to wear.

Junior Freak

So basically do a full circle on it. Back to the hey day of outdoor raves, Castlemorton et al, lets go dig up some old Spiral Tribe people as well to boot..... :)

I think thats its just returning to the way it was, the money men are splitting as there is is no quick money to be made from techno so they take their chequebooks and look for the next big thing. Which is only good for us as there is no real marketing pressure to release loads ( only to cover what you need to survive)....

So yeah, we need a teknival... thats what we need...
    anyone got any locations?

Dez

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast