Welcome to the Blackout Audio Techno Forums :: Underground Network.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Bass in techno.

Administrator

Default Bass in techno.

Adapted from another post where Richie V says that there is no bass in techno and I go 'waaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaatttttt?!?!?!' :

i think the problem is that the way of listening to bass in trance is different than listening to bass in techno. much of the time in hard techno it's sub bass. i mean for me, this bass is so powerful. christ, we spend days programming sub bass lines and i can tell you by the end of a big session doing this my guts are feeling like they are coming out of my ass. there's also the one note style sub bass in techno that gives a slightly funkier feel. and this is just out and out groove. i love the way this type of bass works with drums. you have to look behind the kick drum for your bass in techno.

but the difference in trance (especially hard trance) is that it's a synth bass. so it stands out differently. it's in front of the kick drum. as an observer, you'd be justified in saying there's better 'bass' in trance. but there really isn't. trance basslines are often one note and offbeat and there's good reason for that - otherwise the whole track would be swamped by synth bass. mind you, i'm not saying trance bass isn't good - cause i've always really loved the hard trance (and now alot of the hardstlye too which is even more synth bass than ever before) and the way the off beat bass sits with the kick.

the beauty of techno is sub bass sits behind the kick drum. as a producer, you can do more with it. you can make more changes and varients and different things oscilllating different parameters. the sub bass note programming in techno is so much more complex than trance. yet the sound shaping is harder to do in trance.

my thoughts anyway. what the hell do i know. hehehehhe..

Ultimate Freak

bang on, this is what i meant on the other thread when i was taking about 'defined' bass..

really ritchie if i was you i would have said 'basslines' or somthing. there is more bass frequency in techno - i can tell you that now. dont even bother replying to that cos i can tell you that as rule there is.. there just is.
    your ears are ****ed mate if you canny hear it - let alone feel it!

the point is as mark says trance bass appears much more up front in the mix, and it dominates a much higher set of frequencys than most techno bass. but this actaully means it it less 'bassey' - your speakers just aint gonna wobble as much. What it also means is that patterns are going to be more immediatly obvios and stand out of the mix much more - i think this is where you are getting confused..

but anyway - there are tonnes of techno tracks with more your kinda bass.. marco bailey stuff for example, although his b lines do tend to be a bit flat.. no, very flat..
    try 'bitches from hell' by thomas krome. Or certain drumcodes..
    try also some italian stuff - gaetano, vigorito etc - these often have big b-lines (still a bit more subby than trance but perhaps more defined patterns)
    jimmah!

Junior Freak

Heheh yeah it's those monster woofing basses that define a lot of what makes techno sound so good for me :)

Junior Freak

I cant remember which mobile sound system it was but they had a unit esp. for generating sub bass ( air compressors the works) but you couldnt hear ( or feel ) anything else though

The first Tekinval was like that all bass...

Banned

Anyone that says theres no bass in techno these days is sheer gone maaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaad. I think that sub bass is getting redifined as time goes by. People like Glenn Wilson, Mark EG, Sven Wittekind, Dave the Drummer are pushing sub bass to boundaries which were never used way back in the day.
    The scary thing to me is how low can we go???? Is there another level of sub bass??? Be afraid be very afraid......................................

Pauze

the big pork pie

Hydraulix 16 & 17 had some PHAT bass man! And the Pounding Grooves releases are proper bass shakers! Oh and one tune that did make me :D was The Axis of Evil EP on Re-Entry...Speaker destroying shit!

Banned

HYDRAULIXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXX 17 HOLY MOTHER OF GODDDDDDDDD!!!!! Does it get any heavier???
    Someone????

Pauze

the big pork pie

init! :mrgreen: thats proper bass in yer face boyo! ha ha!

Junior Freak

by bass i mean bassline

techno really does'nt have alot of basslines that cut
    this is what i am talking about

it does'nt have a bassline you can hum

BOA Lifetime Member

this sorta bass is total killah, i love that hard techno sub bass. any tips for creating basses like that, as im struggling

Administrator

yeah spend a whole week focus on only sub bass. sample everything you do and use it in your track as and when necessary.

richie - BELIEVE ME i can hum sub bass!!!!!

like we say, trance is synth bass. obviously synth bass is what you like. me, i don't mind both at all but my god when sub bass rocks it muthafukin rocks

BOA Lifetime Member

Quote Originally Posted by RichieV
    by bass i mean bassline

techno really does'nt have alot of basslines that cut
    this is what i am talking about

it does'nt have a bassline you can hum
    For basslines check Kevin Saunderson (E-Dancer), Oxia, Samuel L.Session (His older stuff). Basslines are more rife in the funkier stuff.

Ultimate Freak

Quote Originally Posted by Si the Sigh
    Hydraulix 16 & 17 had some PHAT bass man! And the Pounding Grooves releases are proper bass shakers! Oh and one tune that did make me :D was The Axis of Evil EP on Re-Entry...Speaker destroying shit!
    that reentry ep was a total disgusting mess of shite
    jimmah!

BOA Lifetime Member

cheers mark, im gonna take ur advice and get to work on some sub bass. Im only using Fruity studio tho, altho i have plenty of spot on plugins that i plan to get busy with.

Junior Freak

At ILT the other weekend, we were enjoying a tune right in front of a set of speakers inbetween all the arenas.

At one point there was a break in the tune and the bass held on one note that you could feel resonating right inside your chest... then the frequency slowly dropped and you could feel it move right down your torso until (and I swear this happened) it shook my balls. :D

If it had went any lower I'd have shit myself.

Ultimate Freak

hahahahahahaha

"it shook my balls"!!! classic
    jimmah!

Junior Freak

maybe it is safe to say

techno you feel the bass
    trance you hear the bass

i like hearing the bass

Administrator

i like feelin the bass!!!

but i think you're wrong....

you can feel bass in hard trance and you can feel bass in techno....

BOA Lifetime Member

oh please not again!! :lol:

Junior Freak

Default !!!!!!!

nah man!!!! u can hear & feel!!!!!!!

Get Hydro 17-- its a blatant example as Pauze said.....

Frank remember how I kept goin on about Hyd 17 bass at WEMF after Henry dropped it? :)

good times.... :) :) :)

For another obvious example of the wide world of techno bass listen to practically any SUBMISSIONS record......

-jOHNNY

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast