Welcome to the Blackout Audio Techno Forums :: Underground Network.
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Supreme Freak

Default Patronising Superstar Djs

does anyone else's blood boil when they read 'jus follow your dreams & believe in what your doing... success will come'

if i read this in one more interview i will hunt them down... its easy to be condescending when your a 'made man' but jesus does it piss me off...

personally, i been battling for over 10 years now & i aint seen a dime in success.

anyone else concur with my thesis ?

Banned

i suppose if you ask someone in any job who has made it they'll tell you that there has been an element of good fortune in it.

anyway how hard have you been 'battling'?

if you have been banging out tunes in cubase and pushing your own nights and ting and you've still not got anywhere, then yes that does suck!

Supreme Freak

ive ran nights, dj'd, played live,put on nights i dont even play at, sent off hundreds of demo cds/links, poured every penny i have into music, lost friends & jobs, split with g'friends...

its all part of it, i know.... but that 'follow your dreams' crap is gettin thin lol

its easy to say 'jus believe' when your richie hawtin... hes there. but when your fighting tooth & nail & gettin arrested for postering & ripped off by club owners & backstabbed by djs... it gets hard man...

but, ive got my health, so it all bad... but still.. any 'made' djs.. bear in mind when your 'giving the kids a lil advice'

BOA Lifetime Member

let me hear few records you ve released and i ll tell you if you need your day job.
    non serviam

BOA Lifetime Member

Learn to suck up
    Solitary by nature.
    Isolation is the gift.
    Does anyone have courage to stand apart any more?

myspace.com/dirtybassgrooves
    http://www.myspace.com/dirtybassvoidloss
    http://www.subgenius.com

BOA Mod

Quote Originally Posted by dirty_bass
    Learn to suck up
    So very very wrong/right/wrong/right!

doh!

Ultimate Freak

Learn to suck up
    DB is sort of right, i'd say more than 50% of this is marketing and politics (actually way way more than 50%), just look at all the "superstar dj's that actually stink. "superstars" arn't usually that big because they're the best or first to do this or that, but by making others and/or promoters think that. it's about having the right people behind you and a good hype machine as much as "it's about the music" and "doing what you love". the scene you seem to be fed up with is the business part, and not the a squat/soundsystem part.

usually when i read "follow your dreams/be yourself" i take it as more do your own thing/be original rather than jumping on bandwagons. yeah it's tuff, i've yet to see any pay off $$$ wise personaly. but we're not in this for the $$$ now are we.

Deceptacon

its f u c k i n g hard to get a break!

BOA Lifetime Member

im happy enough looking at that asian birds tits!!

Supreme Freak

Learn to suck up
    so very very very true... the saddest aspect

Supreme Freak

Quote Originally Posted by module
    ive ran nights, dj'd, played live,put on nights i dont even play at, sent off hundreds of demo cds/links, poured every penny i have into music, lost friends & jobs, split with g'friends...

its all part of it, i know.... but that 'follow your dreams' crap is gettin thin lol

its easy to say 'jus believe' when your richie hawtin... hes there. but when your fighting tooth & nail & gettin arrested for postering & ripped off by club owners & backstabbed by djs... it gets hard man...

but, ive got my health, so it all bad... but still.. any 'made' djs.. bear in mind when your 'giving the kids a lil advice'
    ten bucks says all the guys who've "made it" still look upon the salad days fondly. sometimes we forget it's the "getting there" and how you choose to do it that counts, and not necessarily "being there".

i want to qualify that by saying that i am poor as shit eating ramen noodles...but i love what i do. and i have been doing it for over ten years...no qualms yet...

Supreme Freak

you should learn to look at it in a more positive light my friend.
    success is measured in relative terms. looking for a "break" means that you are seeking a solution or an end - rather than a way of life.
    as soon as you focus on a different target you will automatically have success...better line of sight.

btw.....that asian chick gives me shivvers every time i see that avatar :D
    LivePA
    That is all...

BOA Lifetime Member

depends how you measure success overall. Plus the guys who are massive now like Clarke, Hawtin, Mills etc, well it was also a case of right place right time, they were there at the start, when everything went boom and suddenly there was a thing called Techno (before anyone posts up that entire history of techno thing, i dont mean they were literaly in Detroit and started everything!) , but things are so much different now.

And they have worked hard too, look at Hawtins back catalogue, Clarke's back catalogue etc, they've hardly been resting on their laurels and their success is a culmination of hard work, knowing the right people, playing the right parties, releasing good records etc etc

i dont find it condescending in the slightest, infact quite true. Ive done nothing for the past 3 years except learn to make music and keep on making it, it's all i want to do, regardless of the fact that there's little or nothing at all money wise to be made, i just want to be able to make music and release it, and thats happening, so in my own eyes personally, and achievement wise, im succeeding to a degree.

As cheesy as it is, ive followed my "dream" and its paying off. Undeniably though there is the element of having to push your stuff to the right people, getting to know people involved in the scene and making friends, but that goes for every single job/goal that a person could have

i think someone's just on a new year comedown? ;)

BOA Lifetime Member

Default Patronising Superstar Djs

does anyone else's blood boil when they read 'jus follow your dreams & believe in what your doing... success will come'
    if i read this in one more interview i will hunt them down... its easy to be condescending when your a 'made man' but jesus does it piss me off...
    personally, i been battling for over 10 years now & i aint seen a dime in success.
    anyone else concur with my thesis ?
    Not really. I kinda do agree with that cliche statement if you want to really break it. It doesn't mean it's going to come easy. You're gonna deal with no shortage of shit heads who will try and kick you down as you make your moves. If you forget that little cliche, it's easier to give up and accept it. "Success" is so subjective anyways.
    A person belonging to one or more Order is just as likely to carry a flag of the counter-establishment as the flag of the establishment, just as long as it is a flag. --P.D.

BOA Lifetime Member

I agree with eyes and tocsin

I cant say it really interests me, Im not in this game to take the stage, im in it to enjoy myself and that’s that. If all that matters is been a superstar, a big player, dont take this the wrong way but perhaps your in for the wrong reasons? Besides, if it was easy everyone would be a superstar.

Supreme Freak

Quote Originally Posted by The Divide

I cant say it really interests me, Im not in this game to take the stage, im in it to enjoy myself and that’s that. If all that matters is been a superstar, a big player, dont take this the wrong way but perhaps your in for the wrong reasons? Besides, if it was easy everyone would be a superstar.
    totally missing the point dude..

BOA Lifetime Member

chill out mate, just follow your dreams and you'l make it

BOA Lifetime Member

Quote Originally Posted by The Divide

totally missing the point dude..
    Maybe you missed their point? What do you want them to say? Don’t bother trying? Heroes don’t last forever you know.

BOA Lifetime Member

Actually hes got a point lets make a hit list...

1. Richie Hawtin - for saying in that interview about how you should stick to it and keep using Brylcreem as its how he 'made it'

2. Dave Clarke - He once said in DJ magazine that if you follow your heart and use your head youll go places, deffinate bullshit, I got the axe. You bring the chloroform

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast