Welcome to the Blackout Audio Techno Forums :: Underground Network.
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Supreme Freak

Default Has Vinyl Limited Techno ?

has the format held back the content ?

i may believe so... i'm not sure tbh lol

the music is geared towards the format, and outside of lock grooves, there is no option for vinyl music. its either a track, or a lock.

now, with ableton & laptops & cdjs & such, ppl can take whole tracks, or 4 beat loops or single hits & really really bend things into something new.

at the same time, vinyl also creates a level playing field, in that, when faced with a basic set up (2 x 1210s & DJM600) its is down to skill, in mixing, eq, fx & tune selection. you cant automate 25 records on vinyl, but you can bluff with Live.

i'm not saying vinyl is dead or crap or such, its jus a thought. i'm moving house (gettin married actually.... ) & have been selling vinyl & going through my collection marking things for sale & for keeps, and cant help but thinkin of the days there where no laptops or cdjs.. jus 1210s, Akia samplers & Roland drumachines lol

as the music has changed, so have the tools & the way in which we use them, but there must be a point where certain formats & process are put to bed.

drumachines, for example, have taken a huge battering over the years. very very few still remain in production, and machines such as the TR909 have taken on almost mythical status lol yet most ppl laugh at DR550's & RX11's... and today, its easy to see why. the early machines were very limited & basic, but at that point, they where new exciting machines.

synths, in a similair way, have also taken a thump from the digital revolution. once highly sought after machines are now available for a fraction of their previous price on eBay, or have a vst version that takes up no space & can be had for £000.00 via torrents, or get a sample cd & throw it into Logic.. even Novation went s'ware on their once all rulling Basstation, and have pushed the cmidi ontroller product over their synths.

yet vinyl, still, remains... i find this odd & strangely compelling. but i wonder has it held the music back ?

jus a thought... :content:

acieeeeeeeeeeeeed

i suppose anything written with a dj in mind has held it back slightly, not the format as such.

but at the end of the day its dance music, best suited to being played in a club or at a party, by a dj who mixes the tracks with whatever tools he chooses.

i for one just like listening to songs, i like my music to have a begining, a middle bit and an end.

i think you can still be creative and yet dj friendly.

but i think most producers here will have written music that isnt so dj friendly, just as a way of letting loose and going wild with things
    Life is "trying things to see if they work"

Finally getting around to updating my site
    http://www.plus27design.co.uk/

Dave knows scooter lyrics

BOA Lifetime Member

Yes.
    But sometimes when you are presented with limitations you have more incentive to push the limits.
    Solitary by nature.
    Isolation is the gift.
    Does anyone have courage to stand apart any more?

myspace.com/dirtybassgrooves
    http://www.myspace.com/dirtybassvoidloss
    http://www.subgenius.com

Supreme Freak

Quote Originally Posted by dirty_bass
    Yes.
    But sometimes when you are presented with limitations you have more incentive to push the limits.
    very true. i know all about this having gigged very very basic equipment. too many options can create complacency, where as limits can force improvisation.

as for the dj issue, i have made music for dancefloor, and music for armchair. i know there is a difference here. dj trax can be tools, or compositions, or songs. dancefloor can be any of these.

its the format itself, has it held ppl in the 'song' or 'track' format for too long ? should ppl start to produce loop packs & samples as opposed to jus the MP3 full track ?

there was another thread about a similair idea..

jus thinking out loud i guess

acieeeeeeeeeeeeed

making loop packs and sample packs isnt making music in my eyes (or should that be ears), don't forget alot of people listen to techno for the love of the music, not to play around with it behind equipment.

i know thats why i buy music, playing around with it is just an added extra

Supreme Freak

thats cool dan.

but isnt a track on vinyl the same thing to an extent ? a small part of a bigger thing ? a component ?

personally, i'd rather have 4 or 5 variations on a 16 beat loop than a 6 minute track.

the minimil sound is also a lil like this. 7 minutes of jus hat & a few placed pads & a beep.

on vinyl, yes, absolutely, the full track. but for Ableton & Acid, you dont need the 7 minutes, jus a few loops.

this isnt supposed to be 'The Answer' or any such, jus a thought.

acieeeeeeeeeeeeed

well a good pice of music will take you on a journey, (bloody hell, im sounding a bit hippyish) a 16 bar loop isn't going to do that for me.

even a minmal tune can go somewhere, it doesn't all just loop for 6 minutes

Supreme Freak

yeah, i know minimil, moves with eq etc, but if your mixing 5 or 6 channels with fx/vst in Live, it can create a similair effect.

anyways, jus a thought.. if we all thought the same, i dread to think...

Supreme Freak

I think vinyl has limited the music due to the economics and the accessibility of the plants required to make it. If you dont have access to plants that press then it is hard to get pressed. The economics come into play as you need to press about 1000 (?) in order to cover costs and make profit from the release. So chances are not taken when the decision is made to take on an artists work. The label wont risk a pressing if the artist is 'different/experimental' or little known.
    LivePA
    That is all...

BOA Lifetime Member

I just can`t see the point of putting out loops.
    If you are gonna let people play your stuff live, then do it yourself.
    Solitary by nature.
    Isolation is the gift.

Supreme Freak

I just can`t see the point of putting out loops.
    If you are gonna let people play your stuff live, then do it yourself.
    I thought about this recently...

Give DJ, who has some cred, my loops that he uses with ableton etc....he mentions to peeps, who ask, that some of the loops are mine and that gives me cred....?

has to be an honest DJ with integrity though.....hmmm?...maybe thats not such a good idea.
    LivePA
    That is all...

Parsnip

Yes.
    Or: You need to have rules in order to break them.

BOA Lifetime Member

Quote Originally Posted by TechMouse
    Yes.
    Yep, that`s my lifes philosphy in a nutshell.
    Solitary by nature.
    Isolation is the gift.

BOA Lifetime Member

you are such a rebel steve.
    non serviam

BOA Mod

Quote Originally Posted by TechMouse
    Yes.
    Or: Play by the rules and the rules play you.

BOA Mod

Anyone got any other similies?

acieeeeeeeeeeeeed

Quote Originally Posted by dodgyedgy
    why, there's enough smileys on here already :lol: :lol:

i'll get my coat

BOA Lifetime Member

The only limitations I can see with vinyl is that you cant have bass sounds in stereo, that the distribution company has had control over units and its cost to make

I would say that, with techno been mostly 'DJ's music', its shaped the structure and shown what gets exposed and what doesn’t. I can remember having an argument with someone a few years back about how a record should have a dj friendly 33 bar 'lead in/out'. How dumb an argument that was, nowadays I think im just going to write stuff how I want it and not give a **** about dj’s or how friendly it is. Hopefully with the digital thing, tracks will dropped in or mixed differently, beats wont be a necessary to mix with and instead the beginning or ending of a track can have other sounds mixed to a predefined tempo set on the software/hardware.

My 1p

Parsnip

Quote Originally Posted by dodgyedgy
    I think you mean synonyms.

Supreme Freak

Quote Originally Posted by The Divide
    The only limitations I can see with vinyl is that you cant have bass sounds in stereo, that the distribution company has had control over units and its cost to make

I would say that, with techno been mostly 'DJ's music', its shaped the structure and shown what gets exposed and what doesn’t. I can remember having an argument with someone a few years back about how a record should have a dj friendly 33 bar 'lead in/out'. How dumb an argument that was, nowadays I think im just going to write stuff how I want it and not give a **** about dj’s or how friendly it is. Hopefully with the digital thing, tracks will dropped in or mixed differently, beats wont be a necessary to mix with and instead the beginning or ending of a track can have other sounds mixed to a predefined tempo set on the software/hardware.

My 1p
    Oh!!.....how dare you say you dont give a **** about DJs!!......dont you know how important they are? Dont you want them to play your tracks out?

hehehehe.
    LivePA
    That is all...

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast