Welcome to the Blackout Audio Techno Forums :: Underground Network.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Administrator

Default The roots of our sound - interesting read

http://www.jahsonic.com/Techno.html

I really enjoyed reading this.

Administrator

apparennt may might have loaned the equipt for house nation! i never knew this! :)

Administrator

love this: more ppl need to know this!!

A spate of techno-influenced releases by new producers in 1991-92 resulted in a rapid fragmentation and divergence of techno from the house genre. Many of these producers were based in the UK and the Netherlands, places where techno had gained a huge following and taken a crucial role in the development of the club and rave scenes. Many of these new tracks in the fledgling IDM, trance and hardcore/jungle genres took the music in more experimental and drug-influenced directions than techno's originators intended. Detroit and "pure" techno remained as a subgenre, however, championed by a new crop of Detroit-area producers like Carl Craig, Kenny Larkin, Richie Hawtin, Jeff Mills, Drexciya and Robert Hood, plus certain musicians in the UK, Belgium and Germany.

M.O.D.

nice link, mark! love the section on "black science fiction"
    The law is not the private property of lawyers, nor is justice the exclusive province of judges and juries. In the final analysis, true justice is not a matter of courts and law books, but of a commitment in each of us to liberty and mutual respect. - Jimmy Carter

BOA Lifetime Member

juan atkins this, derrick may that... BORING
    non serviam

BOA Lifetime Member

and very narrowminded view on the whole thing in SOME aspects.
    non serviam

M.O.D.

Quote Originally Posted by Miromiric
    isn't everything written about techno? ;)
    The law is not the private property of lawyers, nor is justice the exclusive province of judges and juries. In the final analysis, true justice is not a matter of courts and law books, but of a commitment in each of us to liberty and mutual respect. - Jimmy Carter

BOA Lifetime Member

;)
    non serviam

Junior Freak

Quote Originally Posted by Miromiric
    I gotta disagree, I personally enjoyed the read despite the fact I have read many (and I mean many)a piece on "The Belville 3" there was still a few interesting links for sites, books, and, cd's.
    Nice One Mark, and who knew the Music Institute used to just serve fruit juice :eyes:

M.O.D.

Quote Originally Posted by Davin
    and who knew the Music Institute used to just serve fruit juice :eyes:
    i'd guess g did. he's so old school he probably provided the oranges and apples. ;)

Administrator

i don't get this detorit techno hate you have miro. this is v important music. we would not be here if it wasnt for that.

M.O.D.

i'm very loyal to detroit and techno's roots there, but i see his point to a degree. detroit created techno, but techno's evolution over the years owes a lot to others as well: steve reich, the chicago pioneers, kraftwerk, EBM, industrial, etc.

BOA Lifetime Member

id say since the Detroit guys "gave birth" as it were to Techno, as a genre and, for alot of people, as a way of life, it's grown into something that's very detatched from the Detroit stuff, which is why alot of the darker heads tend to dismiss it all so easily. I can see the part Detroit played in bringing this music to the masses at it were and i still love and buy alot of detroit techno, but for people who are bang into the likes of Surgeon, Regis, or the more european harder stuff like Ogi, Carlos Rios, the Audio Assault crew etc etc, well i could certainly see why they would fail to see the direct link between the stuff they are into and Detroit, almost certainly the original detroit stuff from 20 years ago, alot of people who are doing techno at the moment where only just a twinkle in their daddie's eye's by then too remember haha

Everything is more electronic, more abbravise, harder, banging etc etc than the original music the likes of Atkins and May where producing, and i dare say they must be totally bewildered sometimes when they here stuff like schranz and see it being labelled techno, in fact im sure i read an interview with Derrick May about his apparent distaste for the alot of the current scene.... the word techno now means too many different things to too many different people to expect everyone to really want to grasp where everything "came from" as it where... other's will just want to stretch even further and get into Kraftwerk, and Afrika Bambatta, and Arthur Baker etc etc and we'd be here all day!

i personally enjoy reading about Detroit and all the heritage that comes along with it, ive read it all before but i still find it all very interesting i must say

Administrator

this is a really good post eyes.

but i just cant see why you wouldn't just give a nod to those who created it. i'm not saying miro love it. i'm saying mrio respect it. it's an important part of history man.

BOA Lifetime Member

It all depends on how much influence you think it`s had on you.
    I mean, we can trace back influence and trace back influence, and trace back those who influenced atkins etc, and then say that because of THEM that atkins would never have made techno.
    It can go on and on and on.
    Personally for me, I don`t really care to much for detroit techno, or that route of influence. I`ve pulled more from the other side, the industrial side of things.
    It doesn`t really bother me either way, my musical history is such , I only owe what I do to music itself.

For some however, they may feel the need to pin it all down to one spot, say, when Detroit dude X did so and so. But it`s not that simple.
    You can cite examples say to the inventors of the X0X sequencer system, or whatever.

Whatever.
    If you dig it, fine, if not, it doesn`t really matter.

Time to tear up the history books.
    Solitary by nature.
    Isolation is the gift.
    Does anyone have courage to stand apart any more?

myspace.com/dirtybassgrooves
    http://www.myspace.com/dirtybassvoidloss
    http://www.subgenius.com

The Demon Beast

Miro just doesn't like that they were black men.
    That whole envy thing.
    Wetworks
    Compound, Punish Blue, Mastertraxx

Administrator

oh come on sam, it's not that.

we need miro on this. miro where are you!!!!

The Demon Beast

Pseudo Peni$ envy Mark.
    I know he isn't racist!
    Lol.
    Wetworks

BOA Lifetime Member

Quote Originally Posted by dirty_bass

Time to tear up the history books.
    Well said.

I think it works two ways as well though. It's important I think that people have knowledge on the history of techno, but similarly it is the history/preciousness/stereotyping of techno and what it is 'meant to be' or 'sound like', that holds it back.

Most good techno these days isn't actually called techno.

The Demon Beast

Quote Originally Posted by Sunil
    Most good techno these days isn't actually called techno.
    Good stuff
    Elaborate killa!
    Wetworks

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast