Welcome to the Blackout Audio Techno Forums :: Underground Network.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Administrator

Default Clean production Vs Distorted Nastiness

What do you prefer?

Personally, I think there is a time and a place for everything. But in the car, I just can't listen to stuff that puts my head through a cheese grater anymore. Maybe I'm getting old.

But when I'm in a club, overdriven stabs and cruncy percussion really gets me moving.

So what's your preference and why is it there's such a difference from the car to a club?

Would be nice to know what you guys are thinking

Deceptacon

im thinkin with all these posts someone was on ze chemicals last night!!! ;)

BOA Lifetime Member

no contest. Clean production all the way. It's still possible to get an overdriven, distorted sound and still have good clean, bright production values at the same time too remember. I just dont see the point in the really shreddingly distorted stuff, yeah im gonna say schranz obviously because there are some awful productions going on there, but even in some of the more regular hard techno circles there are some guys who think distortion means hard and just end up putting out the same flat records.

big, clean productions anyday of the week for me, no matter what the style

Junior Freak

transparency is the key i reckon :)

Junior Freak

I think as soon as the kick drums get distorded, you're crossing the border...to schranzland
    The challenge in production (for me) is to get a noisy/distorded, spectrally rich sound, without losing the quality/transparency of the production

the truth is in the middle i guess!

Supreme Freak

i dont have a car
    "Techno Music is my Heritage. Techno is not dead DAMM IT!!" - Omar-S

BOA Lifetime Member

i like them both, for the nice lush techno i want clean production, for the hard stuff, make em dirty

BOA Lifetime Member

yeah both for me.
    I love lush sounding stuff for listening too late at night but I can relax and listen to some nasty distorted Industrial shit too.
    Like Jeroen says trying to find the middle ground is what im after(put I can enjoy either extreme also)
    In a club I want to hear it all!!!

Ultimate Freak

I think that contrast between the two styles can sound pretty good...

I like em both :)
    Myspace here

BOA Lifetime Member

I think both are shite.
    "The Taoiseach's plans are a quick fix, not a long term solution" - DJ Sunil Sharpe

Ultimate Freak

clean production hands down. it shows the ability of the producer. it's easy to cover up a shitty mixdown/eq work with distortion or trying to sound big and powerful with volume rather than with dynamics and skill. mind you, you have the other side of the coin when it's too clean and you have lazy producers claiming to "sustain the purity of the sound and the soul" piss off, i came to hear music and not another rehashing of a dry Roland box. so like others have said, there's a balance that needs to be had.

Junior Freak

Quote Originally Posted by DSP
    clean production hands down. it shows the ability of the producer. it's easy to cover up a shitty mixdown/eq work with distortion or trying to sound big and powerful with volume rather than with dynamics and skill. mind you, you have the other side of the coin when it's too clean and you have lazy producers claiming to "sustain the purity of the sound and the soul" piss off, i came to hear music and not another rehashing of a dry Roland box. so like others have said, there's a balance that needs to be had.
    Very true!
    Distortion on top of the whole mix = no dynamics

Junior Freak

hmmm variation on drums kicks ass (however distorted kicks disturb the shit out of me)
    BTW - Production IS important but really good music should still hook you up no matter how well radio is tuned in.

Supreme Freak

clean & dirty side by side.. imo

time & a place 4 both :)

as for club/home music, i have less & less interest in the bosh bosh stuff as there are no techno clubs in NI that play anyway hard.. but my interest in clean slower intricate music has increased as its much more condusive to home listening with a jazz ciggy ;)

Deceptacon

Quote Originally Posted by module
    clean & dirty side by side.. imo

time & a place 4 both :)

as for club/home music, i have less & less interest in the bosh bosh stuff as there are no techno clubs in NI that play anyway hard.. but my interest in clean slower intricate music has increased as its much more condusive to home listening with a jazz ciggy ;)
    slippers for pete :lol: :lol:

Junior Freak

Distortion is a tool ... When used right, it is effective.
    However, some artists seem to think distortion is an entire musical genre in itself.. This overkill renders it very ineffective

Supreme Freak

I go for clean production all the time...

Flecks of distortion dotted around to enhance the dynamics of the tune is really good & can denote the industrial emotional content v nicely...

I used to hate it when a rig was bein ridden to **** n all u were gettin was thunder at the bottom n scraping hats n snares at the top n thinkin', 'There's a tune in there somewhere.. surely..?'
    Strength in numbers...MySpace
    Music Links

Supreme Freak

Quote Originally Posted by Antinoise
    Distortion is a tool ... When used right, it is effective.
    However, some artists seem to think distortion is an entire musical genre in itself.. This overkill renders it very ineffective
    Totally agree 100% there n meant to quote u in mi last post :clap:
    Strength in numbers...MySpace
    Music Links

Junior Freak

Depends on what it is!!! I think there is a time and place for all types of things!!

The main thing is how the either clean or distorted production suits the MUSICALITY. If it fits, then fine, if not then forget it!!

-JV

Prince Of Warthogs
    love your mum

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast