Welcome to the Blackout Audio Techno Forums :: Underground Network.
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
    Ultimate Freak

Quote Originally Posted by TechMouse
    Perhaps I'm missing the point, but isn't "not fitting in" practically impossible with wonky techno?
    it happens in east germany...

Parsnip

Quote Originally Posted by thetonewrecka
    hmm...I like to think of it as "normal" techno is just a train going down the tracks with some different sounds sitting in it's cargo boxes behind.
    The best Wanky or Wonky or whatever you care to call it is a Rodeo bull trying to throw the sounds off it's back as it spins around, but somehow the rider just stays on for the duration even if it's just by a dislocated shoulder and hand that is roped in while the rest of his (or her) body gets tossed all around.
    Dude, you've got a serious talent for encapsulating concepts in language.

Parsnip

Quote Originally Posted by crime
    Perhaps I'm missing the point, but isn't "not fitting in" practically impossible with wonky techno?
    Well, what doesn't?

Ultimate Freak

Quote Originally Posted by wrong
    Mark, you shouldn't get so worked up about the tags that get put on music, those who know...know , and for those who don't, it acts as a rough pointer if you're navigating through recordshops or just trying to find stuff you like. And if people're too narrow minded to look outside of one type of music then thats their choice/problem.
    I know, J I know... just you know and I know how innocent comments get blown out of proportion if you know what I mean.. ;) and personally, I don't dig the whole east german "wonky" sound, you know, where I get booked for a party, and the first dj is banging it out at @150 bpm telling me how they love Wonky techno.. it starts to wear a bit thin after a while.. and it has happened, people trying to "make wonky techno", I think that's what bugs me really, and being lumped in to a bunch of people making really plastic sounding shitty tracks with no funk soul or feeling....

Ultimate Freak

hmm...I like to think of it as "normal" techno is just a train going down the tracks with some different sounds sitting in it's cargo boxes behind.
    The best Wanky or Wonky or whatever you care to call it is a Rodeo bull trying to throw the sounds off it's back as it spins around, but somehow the rider just stays on for the duration even if it's just by a dislocated shoulder and hand that is roped in while the rest of his (or her) body gets tossed all around.
    I think paul should write all my release sheets from now on..
    Man, you should be doing vocals on your trax with words like that :D

Ultimate Freak

Well, what doesn't?
    mixing up the best of the old with the best of the new, and saying "fu ck the pidgeon holes"? ok, maybe it does sometimes, but it's a rare occasion these days....(Rotten, I include you in those rare occasions, you know the score ;) )

Junior Freak

Well thanks, but not really, but I've got a talent compacting a vegetable based lunch into some toxic fumes for my co-workers to experience at the end of the day...much to their dismay.

@crime.
    Write me a song about this theme.

"All aboard the monkey train, nobody rides for free."
    the end is upon us.

Parsnip

Well thanks, but not really, but I've got a talent compacting a vegetable based lunch into some toxic fumes for my co-workers to experience at the end of the day...much to their dismay.
    Zing.

The Demon Beast

Techno is techno.
    Most of the people here discussing "wonky" techno produce far better techno than say some that criticize "wonky' to begin with.
    Wetworks
    Compound, Punish Blue, Mastertraxx

Supreme Freak

Quote Originally Posted by robin m
    I don't like genre-ising and sub-sub-genre-ising of techno at all either, it's all just techno. Having said that I quite like 'wonky' - for me it's a suitable name when doing my mental filing for stuff that dares to step away from 4-4 plod and dj-friendly production.

I don't think the rush of people trying to make 'wonky' techno can be blamed on the term they were giving it, it's more a problem with the mindset that wants to make music to fit a particular genre rather than just making music they want to make and not caring what pigeonhole other people try to cram it into. Same thing with schranz, stupid name given to a particular sound by someone as a throwaway thing and give it a few months people are trying to make 'schranz' tunes... that's the problem I think.

Mind you I've not had the self-appointed genre-police calling everything I do 'wonky' for years without listening to it, which presumably you have, crime... that might change my point of view a bit
    totally agree! Wonky or not its just techno

Supreme Freak

Default wonky techno massif

Quote Originally Posted by conflict
    what happened to this style, havent heard it mentioned in ages

or maybe i'm being ignorant?

fill me in ppl
    What happened to this style was, the moment it became named, people started trying to make "Wonky" music, instead of just trying to make music they liked and it all went contrived and shit..
    Personally, I hate this "Label", good techno is good techno, period... and doesn't have to be called something other than techno just because it doesn't sound like the 10 billion xerox copy loop trax that are out there that djs buy because they are easy to mix...

Sorry for the rant, but I really hate the pidgeonhole "wonky", and I really hate the way music sometimes seems to have to be classified for people to understand it...

rant over sorry about that

I don't know if I'm still stereotyped as wonky (wanky, anyone?) but I have 2 new e.p.s coming on 2 new labels from germany:

Mark Hawkins "Postmodern Parody Religion e.p." (Pristine) Distr by Still Music
    Mark Hawkins "Life in the 030" (Kitty Corner) Distr. by Possible

Bigger things in the pipeline also & my live set from Maria, Berlin to go online over the next week....
    Sorry for the self promotional blah also :blush:
    :cheese: maybe you should of called them " this is wonky vol1 and 2"

hiya mark long time mate :cheese:

Supreme Freak

ive called landstrumm,begg,forshaw & your tunes Mark 'Wonk' since the sound was intoduced to me 3 years back and described as 'Wonky', I liked what I heard and looked up Wonky Techno on the internet, and have since bought shitloads of records by all the artists mentioned that might be classed as 'wonk'....I think sometimes a diffrent take on a sound needs to be described, as happens with everything from DnB & Hardcore, I mean there must be about 9 or 10 diffrent terms for Hardcore....I understand it might piss you off as an artist to be labelled something you may feel your not, but look at it in a positive light that some people like myself may discover artists we might never have looked for previously, but have found due to them being labelled under a certain sound....its all swings and roundabouts innit

Ultimate Freak

Quote Originally Posted by djfurness
    ive called your tunes Mark 'Wonk' since the sound was intoduced to me 3 years back and described as 'Wonky',
    please don't, my music is not "wonk"..

Ultimate Freak

Quote Originally Posted by Rowland The Bastard

very droll rowland, very droll ;)
    you need to come for a visit Polska side, let me know if they book you for sopot/Gdansk/Gdynia again, this is my current hood, I'll stop out for a drink :P

Supreme Freak

very droll rowland, very droll ;)
    you need to come for a visit Polska side, let me know if they book you for sopot/Gdansk/Gdynia again, this is my current hood, I'll stop out for a drink :P
    you in poland now mate? you got yourself a polish lady then :cheese: ;)

Ultimate Freak

cant beat a bit of wonk
    **** you you ****

Junior Freak

The freaks come out at night..the freaks come out at night.
    You can't beat a bit of Whodini either!
    the end is upon us.

The Demon Beast

f
    r
    e
    s
    h

Fresh Fresh Fresh
    Yo That's Fresh.
    Wetworks
    Compound, Punish Blue, Mastertraxx

Ultimate Freak

Paul Birken is the king of wonk. :)

Ultimate Freak

you in poland now mate? you got yourself a polish lady then :cheese: ;)
    yeah, got a nice flat here, studio here & I'm by the sea...
    life is good :cheese:

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123