Welcome to the Blackout Audio Techno Forums :: Underground Network.
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Banned

Default wonky techno massif

what happened to this style, havent heard it mentioned in ages

or maybe i'm being ignorant?

fill me in ppl

Parsnip

Esther Ofei at next Filth.

Supreme Freak

Quote Originally Posted by TechMouse
    snorted. what date? dj set or live?

Ultimate Freak

cant beat a bit o wonk
    **** you you ****

Ultimate Freak

Default wonky techno massif

Quote Originally Posted by conflict
    what happened to this style, havent heard it mentioned in ages

or maybe i'm being ignorant?

fill me in ppl
    What happened to this style was, the moment it became named, people started trying to make "Wonky" music, instead of just trying to make music they liked and it all went contrived and shit..
    Personally, I hate this "Label", good techno is good techno, period... and doesn't have to be called something other than techno just because it doesn't sound like the 10 billion xerox copy loop trax that are out there that djs buy because they are easy to mix...

Sorry for the rant, but I really hate the pidgeonhole "wonky", and I really hate the way music sometimes seems to have to be classified for people to understand it...

rant over sorry about that

I don't know if I'm still stereotyped as wonky (wanky, anyone?) but I have 2 new e.p.s coming on 2 new labels from germany:

Mark Hawkins "Postmodern Parody Religion e.p." (Pristine) Distr by Still Music
    Mark Hawkins "Life in the 030" (Kitty Corner) Distr. by Possible

Bigger things in the pipeline also & my live set from Maria, Berlin to go online over the next week....
    Sorry for the self promotional blah also :blush:

Ultimate Freak

Bit too facile to call Esther "wonky".. she plays hard chicago techno, Booty, Birmingham sound and Brighton/Edinburgh sounding stuff with a bit of chicago house thrown in... not a whole sets of Miditonal... ;)

BOA Lifetime Member

I don't like genre-ising and sub-sub-genre-ising of techno at all either, it's all just techno. Having said that I quite like 'wonky' - for me it's a suitable name when doing my mental filing for stuff that dares to step away from 4-4 plod and dj-friendly production.

I don't think the rush of people trying to make 'wonky' techno can be blamed on the term they were giving it, it's more a problem with the mindset that wants to make music to fit a particular genre rather than just making music they want to make and not caring what pigeonhole other people try to cram it into. Same thing with schranz, stupid name given to a particular sound by someone as a throwaway thing and give it a few months people are trying to make 'schranz' tunes... that's the problem I think.

Mind you I've not had the self-appointed genre-police calling everything I do 'wonky' for years without listening to it, which presumably you have, crime... that might change my point of view a bit
    Oh wow - myspace :coffee: http://www.myspace.com/robsoliton

BOA Lifetime Member

...anyway who gives one about other people's pointless labels, as long as the likes of subhead, tim wright, esther, benavente, landstrumm, torsten kanzler etc keep on kicking it I don't give a flying f*ck what section of the record shop people stick their tunes in.
    Oh wow - myspace :coffee: http://www.myspace.com/robsoliton

Ultimate Freak

With the greatest respect to Torsten, I wouldn't say what he does sounds like anyone else you mentioned above there.. And my point is about the wonky tab, was it wasn't util that came along that loads of half baked stuff started coming about by people saying "I make wonky techno".. Vogel, Landstrumm, Begg, schmidt etc had their own sound from the mid 90s, which was often played alongside the likes of Advent, Surgeon, Colddust, Jay Denham etc, and it was all mixed up, much like what I play today when I dj, the problem started when people became obsessed with the loop based stuff and couldn't be bothered to look outside that narrow remit... If you look at the linups of early uglyfunk parties (going back to Nottingham/Leicester days) Oliver Ho, Space DJz and Coldust were playing there as well as Subhead, Landstrumm and everybody else
    Now you get a load of people in East germany cranking up the bpms to 150 plus and calling it wonky just because they put some stupid sounds/samples into it and set the swing quantise to 70 % (Which incidentally DOESN'T automatically make it funky, good drum programming is what makes shit funky), and I don't think it fair to lump in the amazing music that Vogel, Landstrumm and many others are making with the crap that's getting called "Wonky" these days.. it's tainted the term (which I rapidly went off once people tried to adhear to a genre), it's like calling Ben Sims Schranz.. Maybe it shouldn't bother me, but it does as I watched the whole thing unfold over the past few years, and I feel it's an injustice to try and classify what for instance Neil is making as "wonky" (freak bass and bleeps maybe??), when people are going to read that and think it's the same as Miditonal.. I mean what's innovative about hitting a keyboard randomly and distorting everything far too much? The end result is people who have never heard my music thinking that it's like the stupid stuff on the one hand, and then all these supposed "Wonky techno" fans being annoyed when they here my live show and I'm not hard enough for them on the other.. I understand your reasoning to a degree Robin, but I find the name "Wonky" just as offensive as some people find "Schranz".. it makes a lot of people switch off before they have even listened (but maybe I should blame their own predjudices for that eh?)

Ultimate Freak

Respect to Conflict anyhow for posting something about "interesting Techno" even if I don't like the adjective he used...
    There is some new Lanstrumm/Youngman collabs in the pipeline I believe..
    and I think a new input output V/A on the way
    and I might even find a home for my "13 Years of Raving" thing w/ Tarrida remix one of these days....

Ultimate Freak

I think its unavoidable to a point...people naturally categorize music especially when they really like something...they put a label on it as if to say this is really cool i want to hear more and before you know it everyones talking about it and its a new subgenre to them

i just try to ignore it all myself its either good music thatd work on my dancefloor or its not and thats all there is to it to me

Loadsa subgenres is boring and limiting
    Myspace here

Supreme Freak

Quote Originally Posted by crime
    Now you get a load of people in East germany cranking up the bpms to 150 plus and calling it wonky just because they put some stupid sounds/samples into it and set the swing quantise to 70 % (Which incidentally DOESN'T automatically make it funky, good drum programming is what makes shit funky), and I don't think it fair to lump in the amazing music that Vogel, Landstrumm and many others are making with the crap that's getting called "Wonky" these days..

WOOOORRRRD!!! ;)

Supreme Freak

fark...i never knew that there was a term called wonky techno.
    shit'eh...learn sumthin new everyday.
    LivePA
    That is all...

Ultimate Freak

Quote Originally Posted by holotropik
    fark...i never knew that there was a term called wonky techno.
    shit'eh...learn sumthin new everyday.
    Forget that you learned it... please...

Parsnip

Quote Originally Posted by mattboyslim
    snorted. what date? dj set or live?
    2nd Septeber... and pass.

Parsnip

Quote Originally Posted by crime
    Bit too facile to call Esther "wonky".. she plays hard chicago techno, Booty, Birmingham sound and Brighton/Edinburgh sounding stuff with a bit of chicago house thrown in... not a whole sets of Miditonal... ;)
    Fair do's Mark.

I think I was broadly categorising all the acts we have at Filth fitting somewhere in the middle of a "Techno Triangle" with "Hard", "Acid" and "Wonk" at the corners.

Esther (and your good self) are probably nearest to the "Wonk" corner - but of course we all know there's more to both of you than mere labels.

Ultimate Freak

Fair do's Mark.

I think I was broadly categorising all the acts we have at Filth fitting somewhere in the middle of a "Techno Triangle" with "Hard", "Acid" and "Wonk" at the corners.

Esther (and your good self) are probably nearest to the "Wonk" corner - but of course we all know there's more to both of you than mere labels.

Argh!! Please don't associate me with this name, I hate it!! we are nothing to do with Wonk, the more I read the name, the more I think it's so shitty.. wonkers....

Parsnip

I'll get you a T-Shirt printed for next time you're over.

Ultimate Freak

please listen to my Maria live act from last weekend when it's up... then you might start to see what I'm saying, Miditonal et al can have the "Wonky techno" tag, they are welcome to it, but again we get the association, which means everyone thinks we sound like Miditonal, which personally, I'm not into.. when you look at the original remit of techno (jeff mills saying crap like "Techno is sounds you never heard before") a lot of the stuff that gets lumped in with "Wonky" sticks to that remit far more than the repetitive shite that many people stick in the "Normal techno" pidgeon hole.... the more times I see my name and many others associated with wonky, the more I hate it, how about if we call everyone who makes straight techno "Schranz" eh?

Ultimate Freak

I'll get you a T-Shirt printed for next time you're over.
    I'll be at victoria coach station on saturday, maybe you can drop it to me then? ;) I'm actually in the UK with my live gear right now, I thought I would be unavailable at the weekend, but typically plans change... so I end up in the UK with my gear, not making the most of it...

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast