Welcome to the Blackout Audio Techno Forums :: Underground Network.
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    BOA Mod

its funny that people talk about the future of techno...

Mostly people spoke about it actually being the future....

:lol:

The times they WILL be a-changing.

Junior Freak

Quote Originally Posted by Komplex
    I think techno will go right back to raw, slammin 909 action underneath every plugin known to man. the proper techno sound blended with cool new textures. anything else just won't be "techno" anymore if u know what I mean...
    i hope not as much as i love the 909/808 etc i'm sick to death of those sounds, can't people buy some new drum machines once every 10 years?????

method of creating music does bring freshness. the 303 brought around whole new genre's, as did the invention of the synth, as did electric guitars.

i agree creativity is also a major factor but whenever some radical new method of making music comes around, new genre's appear to embrace the new methods.
    Joe Giacomet
    More Punk Than Funk

tel: +44 (0) 7840 289068
    email: info@morepunkthanfunk.com

web: www.giacomet.co.uk
    web: www.morepunkthanfunk.com

Junior Freak

i disagree completely - at least, i hope that you're wrong. The emphasis on technology and engineering in techno will just contribute further to the stagnant scene. Music is about feeling, not about how to route plugin A to bus C being modulated by oscillator 2... write stuff with genuine substance to it and the rest will come with it... concentrating on the technology is a backwards way of thinking - the technology should just be a tool you use, it should never drive or be the emphasis or you'll end up with clinical, emotionless shit that means nothing to anybody....

machina
    The Lines - Melbourne, Australia

Supreme Freak

Flutes. Lots of flutes.

Junior Freak

its all about the pan pipes
    Joe Giacomet
    More Punk Than Funk

tel: +44 (0) 7840 289068
    email: info@morepunkthanfunk.com

web: www.giacomet.co.uk
    web: www.morepunkthanfunk.com

BOA Lifetime Member

Quote Originally Posted by machina
    i disagree completely - at least, i hope that you're wrong. The emphasis on technology and engineering in techno will just contribute further to the stagnant scene. Music is about feeling, not about how to route plugin A to bus C being modulated by oscillator 2... write stuff with genuine substance to it and the rest will come with it... concentrating on the technology is a backwards way of thinking - the technology should just be a tool you use, it should never drive or be the emphasis or you'll end up with clinical, emotionless shit that means nothing to anybody....

machina
    great post.

ps @mark ;)

BOA Mod

Quote Originally Posted by massplanck

machina
    great post.

ps @mark ;)
    Isnt it funny that people who know how to use the technology say it isnt the technology that is a major part of the sound. playing it down.

its not a dig at you machina as its clear that although you only give a brief nod towards the force of technology in that post, you also recognise that 'it is what it is' i.e. a tool.

I like what soctt said, the fresh is only from the freshest of sources.

The future of techno isny within techno itself, only in the sounds/influence techno didnt find yet. And the REAL future lives within changes techno does for itself. The originality that menas whatever it spawns it wont have the name 'techno' as that genre is already taken. And most music journos dont have either the balls or the knowldge to call a spade a spade, not a digging tool. Calling something techno seems to have regained some 'copy gold' in some lame music publications in the last year, but it shows the 'blank minds' of these publishers/broadcasters that they call it techno without knowing what they mean, although they seem happy enough to regurgitate the same old tired cliches.

Such change in music requires in the minds of people (not necessarily those who like techno) a different frame of mind. Think about the definition of 'trance' or the tune 'mydefinition of house'

music is subjective and techno keeps on coming as much as people dont want it to. because technology is the life the soul and the engine of the dance music party.. add good musicians to hold the torch and forward we GO!

thank F for the word FUNK. Cheers jimmy brown. ;)

Just IMO .. NOT a dig at anyone.

/rant

Junior Freak

Quote Originally Posted by dodgyedgy

machina
    great post.

ps @mark ;)
    Isnt it funny that people who know how to use the technology say it isnt the technology that is a major part of the sound. playing it down.

its not a dig at you machina as its clear that although you only give a brief nod towards the force of technology in that post, you also recognise that 'it is what it is' i.e. a tool.

/rant
    I agree to some extent - but what is 'fresh'. I agree that 'fresh' sounds can be created by new or different technology (shit sounds can be created this way too ;) ). But 'fresh' music is so much more than that - it is the some of the parts, the arrangement, the production, everything... there are plenty of bands that have made fresh and brilliant music using 'traditional' instruments (well, maybe not plenty, but certainly some.) so i would re-interpret the quote "the fresh is only from the freshest of sources" as "the fresh is only from the freshest of minds/ideas/musicians heads" - that is the true source ;)

machina
    The Lines - Melbourne, Australia

Junior Freak

The only reason why people copy other musicians is because they want to be associated with that particular person

not me chief... i just wanna replicate a sound sometimes because its good production or its funky, then i put my own twist on it...
    Yeah I'm in that camp too. :)

What I meant was the act of replicating almost verbatim what somebody else has accoumplished. Hard trance unfortunately went down that route a while back which is why most of it's so boring IMO. I know it's not always the case, but many times (in my experience anyway) the biggest egotists have been DJs and producers from this domain or there abouts. Maybe it's just me. I hope so.

I guess there are occations when you'd want to create a very similar sound for remixes or something, but you'd hopefully still leave your own mark on the thing otherwise it's a somewhat pointless excercise.

Junior Freak

machina
    great post.

ps @mark ;)

/rant
    I agree to some extent - but what is 'fresh'. I agree that 'fresh' sounds can be created by new or different technology (shit sounds can be created this way too ;) ). But 'fresh' music is so much more than that - it is the some of the parts, the arrangement, the production, everything... there are plenty of bands that have made fresh and brilliant music using 'traditional' instruments (well, maybe not plenty, but certainly some.) so i would re-interpret the quote "the fresh is only from the freshest of sources" as "the fresh is only from the freshest of minds/ideas/musicians heads" - that is the true source ;)

machina
    Yeah, this is very true.

Just listening to a track off Cocoon - Compilation F now hearing all these wierd IDM like edits, spectral delays and bizaar comb filter sweeps, and it occured to me that there'd be no way you'd hear anything like this 10 years ago simply because there was no hardware or software that you could pull it off with no matter how talented you were. Sure there was the kick, hat and clap we've been accustomed to over the last 20 or so years, but essentially the technology confined the music to a far smaller subspace of possible sounds then.

Technology has and will always keep music in flux and this is a good thing. If we become reluctant to move forward and try new tools we'll find ourselves in a rut eventually because we can't find meaningful ways of doing something new with what we have to use. That's not to say that everything that can be done on vintage gear has been done, just that it becomes harder and harder to break new ground which is half the thrill of writing music to me.

I love this quote:

"The universe if full of magical things patiently waiting for our wits to grow sharper." - Eden Phillpotts

BOA Newbie

Quote Originally Posted by MARKEG View Post
    I see it totally governed by the technology. I see the future of techno production as being those that understand every plugin, every piece of software. there was a time that analog outboard rocked but i now see it like if you don't know your shit on technology, you're not going to make good music.

techno IS technology now in my eyes. but hey, that's the way it was meant to be from the word go.... that's techno :)

you are wrong wrong wrong.

techno was called techno because it 'sounded tech'...not because it was tech....

analogue synths, drum machiens etc...were already outdated when they were utilized to make techno. the point of early techno was to 'sound' like a machine, it didnt matter how you did it

techno wizardry is not the holy grial...machine soul.

such as electro is ment to be futuristc, now it sounds like cartoon music...to be trully electro, you need to be making music that techno wants to be, ie techno came from electro, cos the future was technolgy, machines!... but now we've been there done that, it is now history..so to be futurisic you need to see a new horizon.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12