Welcome to the Blackout Audio Techno Forums :: Underground Network.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Administrator

Default New Joris Voorn album...

God I'm speechless, you all need to get this. Here's the link... http://www.jorisvoorn.com/

BOA Lifetime Member

yeah quality stuff, as always going to get this for sure

Ultimate Freak

you can pre order the limited triple vinyl version here:
    http://www.ds2shop.co.uk/joris-voorn...en-p-1679.html

only a handful left though - shipping end of next week.

BOA Lifetime Member

found an excellent set of his the other day,ive had it on constantly.il post it up in the files section

Junior Freak

Quote Originally Posted by MARK EG View Post
    God I'm speechless, you all need to get this. Here's the link... http://www.jorisvoorn.com/

Joris Voorn is one of my fave Techno producers as he makes good quality Detroit sounding Techno. His last album was amazing as I'll look forward to hearing this one when it comes out.
    All u need is a good ear for music!

The Demon Beast

Joris has a unique talent to make stuff that lingers in your mind. Look forward to this one.
    Wetworks
    Compound, Punish Blue, Mastertraxx

Junior Freak

just when i thought Future Mix couldn't be topped, i was dead wrong.

Junior Freak

bit trancey at some points
    I got the CD, still prefer the future mix 3x 12" for DJing

BOA Newbie

Thumbs up

MPX 309 is one of my favorite tracks, I started many of my sets with it this past summer, it's somewhat minimalistic, but it's got so much groove, the dance floor went nuts!

BOA Lifetime Member

Superb music! Loving it...

This mpx track reminded me very very much of Chris Liebing's 'American Madness'. Anybody else noticed this?

Administrator

Quote Originally Posted by t-dj View Post
    bit trancey at some points
    I got the CD, still prefer the future mix 3x 12" for DJing

you know, i can totally see why you would say this is trancey at points. i think it's his use of melody. it's just so damn in ya face that you might make this comparison. but if you really, really, think about it, trance is a very different story to joris voorn melodies. some of those melodies on that cd are ingenious. i'm not saying trance is not, but trance is much, much more formulated. and no way as dark. the melodies draw so heavily on early detroit stuff, and really complex and unpredictable chord patterns... that trance never really did.

actually, don't take this the wrong way, but i think this is such a great comment cause it makes you think about the way music has evolved - to the point that now someone is saying detroit sounding techno is trancey. phew. let the comments ensue heh..

:)

BOA Lifetime Member

you know, i can totally see why you would say this is trancey at points. i think it's his use of melody. it's just so damn in ya face that you might make this comparison. but if you really, really, think about it, trance is a very different story to joris voorn melodies. some of those melodies on that cd are ingenious. i'm not saying trance is not, but trance is much, much more formulated. and no way as dark. the melodies draw so heavily on early detroit stuff, and really complex and unpredictable chord patterns... that trance never really did.

actually, don't take this the wrong way, but i think this is such a great comment cause it makes you think about the way music has evolved - to the point that now someone is saying detroit sounding techno is trancey. phew. let the comments ensue heh..

:)
    I can't understand how you could consider the melodies on this to be ingenious? Are we listening to the same album?! Sure, there are lots of melodies in it, but nothing very unexpected or remarkable to my ears anyway.

I found it extremely bland and predictable throughout. Found the filtering on a lot of synths to be a little cheesy too, although that's just personal preference -just didn't seem like much seperating it from filtered disco/funky house.

Whatever you're all into I guess, personally I'm really not feeling this!!
    And I don't consider it trancey either.

ps - I'm not having a go at this album just for the sake of it, but I do think there should be a little bit of balance. I'd really love to see you write a balanced review sometimes too Mark, you're around long enough at this stage, and for that reason I sometimes wonder how you get so blown away by some stuff.. this one included.
    Last edited by Sunil; 28-05-2007 at 09:14 PM.

BOA Lifetime Member

Btw - I've heard the CD version, not the vinyl version.

Junior Freak

Quote Originally Posted by Sunil View Post
    Btw - I've heard the CD version, not the vinyl version.
    u gettin this in spindizzy Sunil?. would love to get my hands on it. i love his sound personally. thought Future History was crackin too. I know this sound has been done to deadth and theres nothing innovative in it really but i really like it.

BOA Lifetime Member

Very high grade, big studio production.
    Very lush sounding, which makes this enticing, but ultimately I don`t think this album separates itself from the sunkissed deep melodic house of the last 5-7 years.
    I didn`t find much pointing to detroit, and found the melodies fairly predictable, using fairly standard (admittedly sexy) scales.
    Terry Lee Brown Jr has been doing this kinda stuff for years and years (and I would say, just a little less cheesily), As did the circulation boys. Whatever happened to Circulation?
    There`s some great tech/deep/progressive house out there. And always has been, with, yes, melodies and chords.
    Still a lovely album for a sunrise drive home post gig, or maybe for a morning shag on the beach.

Is this even a techno album?
    It`s certainly a reasonably good deep (slightly cheesy) house album.
    I might buy it for playing in the garden when drinking wine with the missus.
    Solitary by nature.
    Isolation is the gift.
    Does anyone have courage to stand apart any more?

myspace.com/dirtybassgrooves
    http://www.myspace.com/dirtybassvoidloss
    http://www.subgenius.com

Administrator

i actually see what all of you are saying here. i think it's perhaps total personal taste and when you listen to it. i first got into joris's music through his last album, and i found myself always putting it on whilst driving home after gigs - something quite melodic, easy to listen to after bang bang dark dark all night and puts a smile on your face when the sun comes up. this cd gives me that feeling again and htat's why i like it. sort of 'after club' techno and i find his sound very very unique. nothing else gives me that 'ok it's 6 hours home, it's 7am in the morning, but i really don't mind cause this cd is on'. sure the production is big, almost film-like i thought at points, so i suppose you could call that commercial in some respects, but i like what it does, the nod it gives to detroit and the value for money it gives.

i really think it's worthy of an album of the month i really do. i think that's the problem with reviews, they can be very personal. i write them as a pointer, i really hope ppl realise that. at the end of the day, i just enjoy writing words about music i love. hope y'all see that ;)

BOA Lifetime Member

ive been checking out the previews on his site and it sounds pretty chilled. definately easy listening

might buy it in digital format

Parsnip

...something quite melodic, easy to listen to after bang bang dark dark all night and puts a smile on your face when the sun comes up. this cd gives me that feeling again and htat's why i like it. sort of 'after club' techno...
    I don't understand.

Surely after a night of fierce Techno, the best thing to listen to is even fiercer Techno?

Lather, rinse, repeat until sunday evening.

BOA Lifetime Member

i actually see what all of you are saying here. i think it's perhaps total personal taste and when you listen to it. i first got into joris's music through his last album, and i found myself always putting it on whilst driving home after gigs - something quite melodic, easy to listen to after bang bang dark dark all night and puts a smile on your face when the sun comes up. this cd gives me that feeling again and htat's why i like it. sort of 'after club' techno and i find his sound very very unique. nothing else gives me that 'ok it's 6 hours home, it's 7am in the morning, but i really don't mind cause this cd is on'. sure the production is big, almost film-like i thought at points, so i suppose you could call that commercial in some respects, but i like what it does, the nod it gives to detroit and the value for money it gives.

i really think it's worthy of an album of the month i really do. i think that's the problem with reviews, they can be very personal. i write them as a pointer, i really hope ppl realise that. at the end of the day, i just enjoy writing words about music i love. hope y'all see that ;)
    It is nice, especially the production values making it great for in-car, and home listening, and I do generally like this kind of gear for chilling out, or adding a bit of sexiness to an evening (I did just recently play a house live pa in Brighton), so I`m not really knocking this release at all.

But if you listen to 10 random deep and tech house albums, and then 10 techno albums.
    I`ll swing this one waaaaaay over to the house side of things.
    Nothing wrong with that at all, but this ain`t really techno.
    Made by a techno producer, yes, but it`s house all the way.
    Solitary by nature.
    Isolation is the gift.
    Does anyone have courage to stand apart any more?

myspace.com/dirtybassgrooves
    http://www.myspace.com/dirtybassvoidloss
    http://www.subgenius.com

the big pork pie

I'd agree with you on that. ^

Really nice LP, and deffo something I'd listen to to chill out to.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast