Welcome to the Blackout Audio Techno Forums :: Underground Network.

Thread: Hardware Synth

Junior Freak

Default Hardware Synth

I'm, in the market for a hardware synth. Software is nice, but I like the hands-on of hardware. Doesn't need to have a keyboard. I was thinking something like the Virus or Nova...

What do you lot use and love?

I would like to use it to make all sorts of drum sounds, leads, bass, etc., so I'm looking for something fairly diverse.

Cheers

90's Trance head

i got a virus not too long ago and im starting to get some good results from making my own sounds, definetly a versitile synth
    Sequence is coming. It's going throughout your imagination. It takes you where you've been before. A higher state of mind. Yeah, you remember the early times. Now were trying to take you again. In the deepest seas of your consciousness.....Time never stops

Junior Freak

do all you fellas use software? anyone?? a little input?

Administrator

tbh it's a mixture and understanding of everything that is going to make you the master... but i have to say i have a virus b and i think it's amazing. mind you i had to really buckle down and learn it. but at the mo i'd recommend the virus c.

Administrator

the key is, without a doubt with these synths, to make techno noises by getting rid of the presets and building up your own user presets by either (a) twidling until you come up with something and saving it or (b) searching the net for new presets.

i'd recommend a mixture of the above :)

Junior Freak

One synth that I really love is the KORG MS2000, and when it comes to software, the Pro-53 & Reaktor 4.0 is pretty good too.

Ultimate Freak

Any old school analog synth such as oberheim or moog i am a fan of. If you want something on the newer tip I'd recommend a virus. People whine that it sounds too trancey, but thats because they don't know how to program anything on it. I also really like the Alesis Ion and Qs6.1, but I don't think many others are with me on those.

90's Trance head

Quote Originally Posted by MARK EG
    the key is, without a doubt with these synths, to make techno noises by getting rid of the presets and building up your own user presets by either (a) twidling until you come up with something and saving it or (b) searching the net for new presets.

i'd recommend a mixture of the above :)
    i spent the first 2-4 weeks just modifying the presets a little on it but now i have started to create my own noises its really paying of its price tag.

you can really mangle shit up with this cant u

Quote Originally Posted by Dustin Zahn
    People whine that it sounds too trancey, but thats because they don't know how to program anything on it
    yeah, i mainly used it for trancey leads and pads but since i have started to delve into making stuff from empty patches ive gotten it to do all sorts of twisted electronic shit and stupidly deep basses

i 100% recommend the virus now i can actually say im starting to use it properly.
    Sequence is coming. It's going throughout your imagination. It takes you where you've been before. A higher state of mind. Yeah, you remember the early times. Now were trying to take you again. In the deepest seas of your consciousness.....Time never stops

BOA Lifetime Member

The hardware and with going into crazy price range, i'm happy with stuff like ...

Novation K-Station or KS Rack, Waldorf Pulse (oldy but goldie) the Q rack is good if u get down 2 programming, Korg MicroKorg, Virus C...
    If u r thinking 2nd hand look for a novation nova.. should b cheap by now.. One ovelooked chep synth is the red Darkstar (and I figure also de Elevata)
    Yamaha DX100 or DX 7

But the hardware U generally can't go to wrong .. the more knobs and effort u have in it the better u get out of it...

Software :

Junglist, Oddity, Moog Mod V, CS80 V, A1 (included in cubase SX), V-Station, Attack & Drummatic 2.2 (drumms),

that's what I can think of 4 the moment...

Z
    Djax-Up Beats rec, Minimalistix Rec, Holtzplatten Rec, Invasion Rec, Fined Rec., bla bla bla

Supreme Freak

There's a wicked advanced tutorial guide on the access web sites, including stuff like sending envelope levels back to the same envelopes attack to get different shaped attack curves and stuff, it's a fantastic little document if you've not seen it...

BOA Newbie

SOFTWARE SOFTWARE SOFTWARE SOFTWARE SOFTWARE SOFTWARE SOFTWARE SOFTWARE SOFTWARE SOFTWARE SOFTWARE SOFTWARE SOFTWARE SOFTWARE SOFTWARE SOFTWARE SOFTWARE SOFTWARE SOFTWARE SOFTWARE SOFTWARE SOFTWARE SOFTWARE SOFTWARE SOFTWARE SOFTWARE SOFTWARE SOFTWARE SOFTWARE SOFTWARE SOFTWARE SOFTWARE SOFTWARE SOFTWARE SOFTWARE SOFTWARE

Administrator

HARDWARE HARDWARE HARDWARE HARDWARE HARDWARE HARDWARE HARDWARE HARDWARE HARDWARE HARDWARE HARDWARE HARDWARE HARDWARE HARDWARE HARDWARE HARDWARE HARDWARE HARDWARE HARDWARE HARDWARE HARDWARE HARDWARE HARDWARE HARDWARE HARDWARE HARDWARE HARDWARE HARDWARE HARDWARE HARDWARE HARDWARE HARDWARE HARDWARE HARDWARE HARDWARE HARDWARE HARDWARE HARDWARE HARDWARE HARDWARE HARDWARE HARDWARE HARDWARE HARDWARE HARDWARE HARDWARE HARDWARE HARDWARE HARDWARE HARDWARE HARDWARE HARDWARE HARDWARE HARDWARE HARDWARE HARDWARE HARDWARE HARDWARE HARDWARE HARDWARE HARDWARE HARDWARE HARDWARE HARDWARE HARDWARE HARDWARE HARDWARE HARDWARE HARDWARE HARDWARE HARDWARE HARDWARE HARDWARE HARDWARE HARDWARE HARDWARE HARDWARE HARDWARE HARDWARE HARDWARE HARDWARE HARDWARE HARDWARE HARDWARE HARDWARE HARDWARE HARDWARE

+

SOFTWARE SOFTWARE SOFTWARE SOFTWARE SOFTWARE SOFTWARE SOFTWARE SOFTWARE SOFTWARE SOFTWARE SOFTWARE SOFTWARE SOFTWARE SOFTWARE SOFTWARE SOFTWARE SOFTWARE SOFTWARE SOFTWARE SOFTWARE SOFTWARE SOFTWARE SOFTWARE SOFTWARE SOFTWARE SOFTWARE SOFTWARE SOFTWARE SOFTWARE SOFTWARE SOFTWARE SOFTWARE SOFTWARE SOFTWARE SOFTWARE SOFTWARE SOFTWARE SOFTWARE SOFTWARE SOFTWARE SOFTWARE SOFTWARE SOFTWARE SOFTWARE SOFTWARE SOFTWARE SOFTWARE SOFTWARE SOFTWARE SOFTWARE SOFTWARE SOFTWARE SOFTWARE SOFTWARE SOFTWARE SOFTWARE SOFTWARE SOFTWARE SOFTWARE SOFTWARE SOFTWARE SOFTWARE SOFTWARE SOFTWARE SOFTWARE SOFTWARE SOFTWARE

=

A BEGINNING TO UNDERSTAND....

Junior Freak

Thanks guys (&gals).

You been loads of help.

Keepin' it Unreal

Quote Originally Posted by DJ Ze MigL
    Yamaha DX100 or DX 7

Z
    Aggggghhhh!!! Cant stand the DX range! Such a bitch to program! Plus they're ugly as hell! Look like fisher price "My First Keyboard", with less knobs! Actually, the DX 7 doesnt have any does it! Loads of people will argue this, but imo, they suck!

90's Trance head

Quote Originally Posted by IQ
    Quote Originally Posted by DJ Ze MigL
    Yamaha DX100 or DX 7

Z
    Aggggghhhh!!! Cant stand the DX range! Such a bitch to program! Plus they're ugly as hell! Look like fisher price "My First Keyboard", with less knobs! Actually, the DX 7 doesnt have any does it! Loads of people will argue this, but imo, they suck!
    ive got a mate with the dx7 hes a synth freak, doesnt make any music but is a whizz at creating sounds, ive heard some strange stuff come from this keyboard, i think its down to fm synthesis being quite complicated, i certanly cant use it at 1/100th of his ability but from what i have seen if you know what your doing its quite powerful

Keepin' it Unreal

Yeah, the FM synthesis is a strange one! I think on the DX range you have 6 sine waves that you can layer up to get different waveforms. Very long winded way of programing, but brilliant for some twisted shit. And they also create good bells ;)

BOA Lifetime Member

The thing is the osc (in this case Operators) have much less predicable results...

but it can b quite rewarding it's preatty much a luv & hate relationship with these...

but The r well loved and still used extensively by some old school producers... naming a few Beltram, Mills,..etc..

But U can get'em cheeeeeap! ;)

Z
    Djax-Up Beats rec, Minimalistix Rec, Holtzplatten Rec, Invasion Rec, Fined Rec., bla bla bla

Keepin' it Unreal

They sold about 180.000 DX7's, which is why you can pick em up so cheap!

BOA Lifetime Member

Yeah but U can have loads of fun even with a dinky dx100 or a tx81Z (8 channels rack vs)..

Z