Welcome to the Blackout Audio Techno Forums :: Underground Network.

Thread: Monitor Lizard

BOA Lifetime Member

Default Monitor Lizard

Ok. Just got a set of Alesis M1 MK2s (I know tis all i could afford for the time being) and true to nature they are as boomy as **** and I dont think I like them (yet). At least now I have two sets of speakers (old one being nice wharfdale hifi speakers & a pioneer amp) to monitor on.
    The room is an ok size. I'm just wondering where to place them in relation to the wall. I have no stands right now (well I do but the are only big enough for my old speakers) so they are gonna have to go on the table with the rest of my kit. I have heard its a good idea to raise them up a bit and have a bit of air beneath them . So i'm gonna jam a few Java & Python mega programming manuals under them to let them breath. Good idea or not?
    What i want to know is.. should i pull the table a good bit out from the wall or ram it right up against and leave zero space between the monitors and the wall? I have heard the later can be good choice when you dont know what the **** you are doing (ie me).

Also I tried creating a continous sweep from 40hz up to 16khz in wavelab so that i can figure out if I'm missing any frequencies where I am sitting but for some reason wavelab refuses to make the sweep last longer than 10 secs no matter what settings I give it. Its pretty annoying. Does anyone know where I might get a wav of a sinewave that sweeps up for about 30-40secs?
    Last edited by massplanck; 09-04-2008 at 09:36 AM.

Junior Freak

easy, just thought I'd try and give a few suggestions.

Definatly get them away from the wall. The further the better.

If you can squeeze another £35 out of your budget, get some mopads to go under the speakers. Makes a huge difference by isolating them from the desk / room

http://www.dv247.com/invt/9501/

Stands will also help (still need the mopads)

I have also heard of putting socks in the ports of the alesis speakers to tone down the bass a little but youd possibly make things worse.

The best filter sweep I have found is the test tone built into live. As you can sweep it yourself, checking each frequencey for dips or peaks.

Hope this was some help.
    Last edited by SlimboyPhatt; 09-04-2008 at 09:51 AM.
    I am but a mushroom,
    Kept in the Dark and fed on Shit.
    But hey, I love my Shrooms!!!!

BOA Mod

I'd put your speakers AWAY from the wall not jammed up against it.

Unless you plan to encase the speakers in a false wall that is...

try this link for some tone gen software

http://www.download32.com/test-tone-...tor-d3190.html

Deceptacon

very important with m1's in a small room..

stuff the sub-ports loosely with a rolled up sock in each. it gets the bass a lot more under control and will help with your mixes (which are going to be very thin until you get used to the m1's)

BOA Lifetime Member

Squash balls in the ports work well as well, if you have some.
    Otherwise socks will do. Just make sure you plug both ports, otherwise you just end up with a big boomy mess.

Speakers as far away from the wall as practical, mopads woudl be good, failing that you can work wonders with foam or even inflatables as a low budget quick fix.

BOA Lifetime Member

Stoopid question. Why the **** are they so boomy? Why do people have to go to the bother of stuffing their smelly socks in them to compensate? :( Seems so stupid.

Deceptacon

Quote Originally Posted by massplanck View Post
    Stoopid question. Why the **** are they so boomy? Why do people have to go to the bother of stuffing their smelly socks in them to compensate? :( Seems so stupid.
    cause it makes em sound nice so people will buy em!!

they're actually really nice to listen on.. very little ear fatigue - but they take time to get used to for mixing.

BOA Lifetime Member

Quote Originally Posted by rhythmtech View Post
    cause it makes em sound nice so people will buy em!!
    they're actually really nice to listen on.. very little ear fatigue - but they take time to get used to for mixing.
    little fatigue with MK1s?? haha. you probably had some special pair, because on the ones I had, I couldnt work more than 2 or 3 hours in a row.
    "Computer games don't affect kids, I mean if Pac Man affected us as kids, we'd all run around in a darkened room munching pills and listening to repetitive music."
    -Kristian Wilson, Nintendo Inc

BOA Lifetime Member

Thanks guys. I'll get some socks stuffed into it tonight and i'll move the table two\three foot away from the wall. I'm going to invest in a couple of mopads too and create a bass trap with lots of crap on the back wall. Thats should do me for now.

That said. I might measure up the room first to see what im dealing with. Its pretty square.

Deceptacon

if you can get your hands on some disapating pads, then hang them from the ceiling about 1 foot out from the wall and slant them back to attach them to the wall.. this'll help sort out some ugly sounding parallels

BOA Mod

Quote Originally Posted by rhythmtech View Post
    if you can get your hands on some disapating pads, then hang them from the ceiling about 1 foot out from the wall and slant them back to attach them to the wall.. this'll help sort out some ugly sounding parallels
    Thats called a "Cloud"

i shit you not.

BOA Lifetime Member

Get my hands on a cloud?
    "The Taoiseach's plans are a quick fix, not a long term solution" - DJ Sunil Sharpe

BOA Mod

Quote Originally Posted by massplanck View Post
    Get my hands on a cloud?
    yeah, then you have to herd some cats :lol:

BOA Lifetime Member

Anyway I stuck smelly socks into it last night. Havent tried them yet though. Shall do this evening

That Audio Anaysis program you gave me Chris is exactly what I need. You can even loop the sine sweep. Thanks a million.
    "The Taoiseach's plans are a quick fix, not a long term solution" - DJ Sunil Sharpe