Welcome to the Blackout Audio Techno Forums :: Underground Network.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    BOA Lifetime Member

Default percussion samples - manipulation ideas?

just wondering how u guys go about manipulating percussion samples? what plug-ins do you use? if any?

on that subject, does anybody know of any free percussion samples on the net? ones that have been slightly processed?

Junior Freak

I've always found that recycle does the trick, you can break up the sample into it's compenent parts and then re-arrange them

BOA Lifetime Member

pitch, pitch eg mod, pitch mod, filter, eq, reverb, eq, add samples, compress , add reverb, eq, compress, etc...

Use a sample for something it was not originally for...

don't really know if it was that helpfull but there it is anyway,

Z
    Djax-Up Beats rec, Minimalistix Rec, Holtzplatten Rec, Invasion Rec, Fined Rec., bla bla bla

BOA Lifetime Member

Default perc manipulation

well i allways go for a suck it and see kind of thing where plug ins and stuff are concerned , just trying anything and everything to get some original ideas or sounds, however pitching them around allways sounds quite good as does panning , filtering is great on claps and short delays with lots of feedback sound great on occaissonal hits ;)
    STAR WARS IS ALMOST AS CRAP AS TOLKIEN

Junior Freak

use synths to make your percussion. then you don't have to worry about "mashing-it-up".

then the usual plug-ins...compression, reverb, distortion, eq,

BOA Lifetime Member

Quote Originally Posted by professor
    use synths to make your percussion. then you don't have to worry about "mashing-it-up".

then the usual plug-ins...compression, reverb, distortion, eq,
    which synths would u recommend for creating percussion? i always use samples, usually apply reverb, pitch and use a little eq.

how can u get really drastic results from a dry sounding percussion sample?

Junior Freak

just about any synth will make blips and squeeks, kicks and creaks. Just need to figure out how to envelope/filter/wave form everything.

something I like to do is make several similiar sounding hat sounds/ kicks/ whatever. play them all together filtered and EQed all different ways and sample it...then add whatever effects I like at the time to my sampler. simple but effective way to design your own sounds. create a library of your very own, then create tracks that are 100% unique.

This takes a considerable more amount of time, but the results are very gratifying.

synths a rad.

BOA Lifetime Member

You can start with some factory presets and tune them how you want. The presets on Pro53 is a bit shit IMO,. I found there are some interesting on Synapse Hydra, I've found this synth very usefull and comfortable to work with. Tune some percussion preset,.add some EQ,.,compression,.,distiortion,.and,. then :clap:
    "Computer games don't affect kids, I mean if Pac Man affected us as kids, we'd all run around in a darkened room munching pills and listening to repetitive music."
    -Kristian Wilson, Nintendo Inc

90's Trance head

soundforge's synthesis tone generator, you can create allsorts from that by generating differnt waves at differnt amplituedes and applying pitch bends and effetcs etc
    Sequence is coming. It's going throughout your imagination. It takes you where you've been before. A higher state of mind. Yeah, you remember the early times. Now were trying to take you again. In the deepest seas of your consciousness.....Time never stops

BOA Lifetime Member

U can always go 4 the more obvious : A DrumSynth VST i ... Attack is preatty good!

Z
    Djax-Up Beats rec, Minimalistix Rec, Holtzplatten Rec, Invasion Rec, Fined Rec., bla bla bla

BOA Newbie

http://www.soniccharge.com/

A new VST to give you just what you need !

BOA Lifetime Member

thank's bro that proggy has been discussed here already.. check out the old posts!

Z

BOA Newbie

i missed that one...oops...

BOA Lifetime Member

Quote Originally Posted by EmotionComplex
    soundforge's synthesis tone generator, you can create allsorts from that by generating differnt waves at differnt amplituedes and applying pitch bends and effetcs etc
    i remember u giving me that tutorial on making a kick drum through this greg. i was well impressed. you'll have to tell me how to do it again sometime.

BOA Lifetime Member

there U go...

http://www.infected-mushroom.net/Stu...m_Tutorial.htm

Made by a very impressive and famous Transe group form Israel... Infected Mushroom.

Z

90's Trance head

yeah you can get allsorts from it, ive got a set of hats and kicks i made somewere, ill have to find them
    Sequence is coming. It's going throughout your imagination. It takes you where you've been before. A higher state of mind. Yeah, you remember the early times. Now were trying to take you again. In the deepest seas of your consciousness.....Time never stops

BOA Lifetime Member

Quote Originally Posted by DJ Ze MigL
    there U go...

http://www.infected-mushroom.net/Stu...m_Tutorial.htm

Made by a very impressive and famous Transe group form Israel... Infected Mushroom.

Z
    cheers miggy, thats the one greg talked me through.

Junior Freak

i always use the eq, compressor etc to manipulate percussion, but it often doesnt change the sound as much as i want.. i was wondering, are there any people routing their percussion through fm7 or pro53 to make drastic changes in sound? because i believe you can do some heavy manipulation with it, plz correct me if im wrong :)
    btw: i like attack a lot too

BOA Lifetime Member

I used 2 use one of the aux sends form my mixer into a dirty old analog for filtering, I got some phat dirty stuff out of it, but it's mainly what U'd get from any sampler with a good filter+efx+mod... like eg on the filter/ amp, lfo to the filter, little distortion, etc...!

Doing what u sugested is a good idead but I reckon it's basically the same with the difference on the quality of the filter, etc.. on fm7 or any other...

There is a new quad filter by antares and another one by TC Electronics... it should be brilliant

Z

Junior Freak

yeah you're right migl. I could only add some distortion and filter it, but I thought you could do more with it, but obviously not :cry:
    I'll go and check those filters you mention, the one im using atm doesnt always do the job as I hoped it would do.. Cheers! :)
    minä rakastaa tämä musiiki!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast