Welcome to the Blackout Audio Techno Forums :: Underground Network.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: windows vista

Junior Freak

Default windows vista

Hi i am getting a new pc soon and they all come with vista now. has any one had any problems with vista or is it ok - my main concern is does it eat up all your cpu.

Ultimate Freak

i got a laptop with vista seems ok, runs ableton & cubase fine, so far no problems.

Deceptacon

you'll need 4 gig of ram for audio software as vista uses up nearly a full 1 gig by itself.

personally id ask around for a computer thats backwards compatible with xp and use that instead. vista still has a lot of driver issues that havent been sorted out.

Junior Freak

Quote Originally Posted by rhythmtech View Post
    you'll need 4 gig of ram for audio software as vista uses up nearly a full 1 gig by itself.

personally id ask around for a computer thats backwards compatible with xp and use that instead. vista still has a lot of driver issues that havent been sorted out.
    i think there is a way of using xp from the disk off me old pc was just wondering wether i should look into it - if it uses a gig then i think i will - cheers

It is inevitable.

It aint the best, but then it aint the worst. no major issues to report really. But yeah, I would recommend what Baz said.
    Bás Ar An Impireacht

Junior Freak

fair cheers - i will look at 4 gig and backwards compatability - actually good advice as i would have assumed that they where all backwards compatable

Supreme Freak

I've been running Vista on my studio PC and laptop for about a year now, no problems at all. As RythmTech said though, you are gonna need as much RAM as possible. It's a hungry old beast.

Junior Freak

where can i go for tips on speeding it up (i.e stopping un needed processes and running it a optimum clock speed)

Ultimate Freak

Quote Originally Posted by ORIS View Post
    I've been running Vista on my studio PC and laptop for about a year now, no problems at all. As RythmTech said though, you are gonna need as much RAM as possible. It's a hungry old beast.
    i'll bear that in mind.

Supreme Freak

Quote Originally Posted by josephjobling View Post
    where can i go for tips on speeding it up (i.e stopping un needed processes and running it a optimum clock speed)
    http://www.speedyvista.com/tweaks.php

Junior Freak

Talking

Quote Originally Posted by ORIS View Post
    thank you very much that will help me no end - it propper amazes me how helpful ppl on this forum are - other forums just love abusing you for asking stupid questions - thank you all

Junior Freak

I went with a dual boot setup. Vista for ****in about and XP for audio stuff.
    Cant beat the minimum XP driver setup, runs super quick and solid.

Supreme Freak

Quote Originally Posted by Izz View Post
    I went with a dual boot setup. Vista for ****in about and XP for audio stuff.
    Cant beat the minimum XP driver setup, runs super quick and solid.
    Always an option, I used to run a dual boot setup on my laptop but just kinda ended up using vista all of the time.

BOA Lifetime Member

I loathe vista

I'm yet to see one tangible benefit over a previously rock solid fast loading optimised XP setup.

After I'd turned off the various flashy graphics, user account control and other crap I didn't want with vista, I had an OS that looked like XP but functioned worse, with heavier load on CPU and RAM. Which sucked.

If you've got RAM and CPU to spare fair enough, personally I'd just reinstall XP over Vista though.

BOA Mod

Quote Originally Posted by Jay Pace View Post
    I loathe vista

I'm yet to see one tangible benefit over a previously rock solid fast loading optimised XP setup.

After I'd turned off the various flashy graphics, user account control and other crap I didn't want with vista, I had an OS that looked like XP but functioned worse, with heavier load on CPU and RAM. Which sucked.

If you've got RAM and CPU to spare fair enough, personally I'd just reinstall XP over Vista though.
    +1

Junior Freak

Quote Originally Posted by Jay Pace View Post
    I loathe vista

i have get the new pc and i agree with what you say - had it 3 hours now and have it set to optimum performance yep the same as xp but more hungry - i thankfully got 4 gig ram and it runns nicely - cheers for the help guys

BOA Lifetime Member

Can anyone reccomend where might be able to find a decent XP laptop without too much fuss (i.e. me having to take off vista and install XP)
    Pure F*ckin' Noize Terror...

BOA Lifetime Member

2nd hand?

Otherwise you might have to specifiy OS free and do it yourself. Only problem being is that laptops often have a zillion drivers and it can get a little fiddly, and sometimes you have to tweak the bios so that you can recognise all the hardware you have.

BOA Lifetime Member

Yeh, I kind of thought that may be the case. I knew driver issues would be a main ball ache.

Anyone got opinions on toshiba laptops - seen XP downgrades on toshibas from various places, but a couple of people I know have said they had problems with very slow disk accessing on theirs...
    Pure F*ckin' Noize Terror...

BOA Mod

Why not get a macbook and run bootcamp?

a second hand one isnt going to set you back much and you'll get a rock solid machine.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast