Welcome to the Blackout Audio Techno Forums :: Underground Network.
    The Demon Beast

Default Paul Johnson - Techno

To me I don't think he gets enough shine for his techno contributions.

This record was one of the gear changers for me from house to techno.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JCaMrGOVBv0
    Wetworks
    Compound, Punish Blue, Mastertraxx

Junior Freak

I'm 100% with you on this... he's definately one of my biggest influences in terms of 'a sound' Love all his dancemania stuff too, and 'speech impediment' on relief is a classic. If one of his tracks is being played you can instantly recognise him in it. Respect!!!

Ultimate Freak

the traxmen stuff he did with Robert Armani was the bomb also, but the absolute absolute absolute favourite of mine was his track "TA" from the "trance atlantic 2" compilation.. blinding stuff.. Robert Armani's cousin also...

Supreme Freak

Agreed. Incredible stuff from back in the day. "feel my MF bass" - none better :-)
    I whip on horses at the rock jam sessions. I'm a rockstar.

The Demon Beast

Bump Talkin on peacefrog God Damn, glad I'm not the only one who remembers alot of the chicao boys back then were doing what we would consder now pumpi techno. except back then it was just jackin ass house
    Wetworks

Ultimate Freak

heheh, it dragged the old school heads out here though eh? I remember first hearing Green Velvet's "Flash" at the end of '95, when everyone was going Chicago crazy, funnily enough on radio carediggion in south west wales.. I mean, ministy of sound actually compiled a compilation of relief and cajual records, and were doing their "Open" club nights at the time and had boo williams et al on there.. It was great music, but as it was where house met techno it had a certain cross-over appeal despite still sounding underground as hell... This what a time when you just had house, techno, and Jungle... And trance I guess.. not 600000000 micro genres with their own fans ready to knock down anything that isn't in their micro genre.. and there was such great range with the chicago stuff, I mean johnson's output alone went from garagy deep house complete with sexy vocals all the way up to the pounders he did for ACV...

I remember hearing Boo williams "seek and destroy" on Djax-Up on pirate radio in london circa 1994, at the time I was a gabba head, but this blew me away, it had the distorted bass kicks of gabba, but with a warmer, less clinical distortion, and those swung drums.. it had the funk.. wow, funky gabba I thought.. been hooked ever since...

M.O.D.

k-alexi shelby yo!
    The law is not the private property of lawyers, nor is justice the exclusive province of judges and juries. In the final analysis, true justice is not a matter of courts and law books, but of a commitment in each of us to liberty and mutual respect. - Jimmy Carter

The Demon Beast

K-Alexi is good peoples too as is Lester Fitzpatrick
    Wetworks

M.O.D.

i had a funny evening with a very f*cked up mr. shelby back in 97.

some of his old tracks (all for lee-sah, vertigo, etc.) are just incredible
    The law is not the private property of lawyers, nor is justice the exclusive province of judges and juries. In the final analysis, true justice is not a matter of courts and law books, but of a commitment in each of us to liberty and mutual respect. - Jimmy Carter

The Demon Beast

Quote Originally Posted by crime View Post
    heheh, it dragged the old school heads out here though eh? I remember first hearing Green Velvet's "Flash" at the end of '95, when everyone was going Chicago crazy, funnily enough on radio carediggion in south west wales.. I mean, ministy of sound actually compiled a compilation of relief and cajual records, and were doing their "Open" club nights at the time and had boo williams et al on there.. It was great music, but as it was where house met techno it had a certain cross-over appeal despite still sounding underground as hell... This what a time when you just had house, techno, and Jungle... And trance I guess.. not 600000000 micro genres with their own fans ready to knock down anything that isn't in their micro genre.. and there was such great range with the chicago stuff, I mean johnson's output alone went from garagy deep house complete with sexy vocals all the way up to the pounders he did for ACV...

I remember hearing Boo williams "seek and destroy" on Djax-Up on pirate radio in london circa 1994, at the time I was a gabba head, but this blew me away, it had the distorted bass kicks of gabba, but with a warmer, less clinical distortion, and those swung drums.. it had the funk.. wow, funky gabba I thought.. been hooked ever since...
    That's exactly the sound/era that brought me to techno.
    Listening to the Cajual/Relief stuff
    Mixes from Derrick Carter and in NYC Miss Honey Dijon.
    As for that Ministry of Sound Double CD I Still!!!!
    Have yet to get my hands on that, and I've been dying for it since it dropped!!
    Wetworks

Ultimate Freak

Quote Originally Posted by The Overfiend View Post
    As for that Ministry of Sound Double CD I Still!!!!
    Have yet to get my hands on that, and I've been dying for it since it dropped!!
    it was on vinyl too.... http://www.discogs.com/sell/list?release_id=66716&ev=rb

The Demon Beast

SOMEONE HOOK IT UP! lol

Even Dj Rush had that dope distinct style with his off beat snares
    Wetworks

The Demon Beast

I recall a song that defines this whole period
    Thomas Banghalter
    What To Do
    Roule

If you don't know now you know.
    Wetworks

Junior Freak

Quote Originally Posted by The Overfiend View Post
    I recall a song that defines this whole period
    Thomas Banghalter
    What To Do
    Roule

If you don't know now you know.
    That whole ep, trax on the rocks (1) is such a perfect record... still play one track of that ep in every (dancefloor) set i play.. and the beauty is that there are 4 Corkers on it to choose from and they're all absolute set makers!.. i go in waves , was caining what to do again a few months ago, currently i'm back round to the discoey one that Urban ripped off for his 'bang that shit up' track ;)

Just remembered Psycho kong on Djax... when those hats come in like razors :)

Another classic here: http://www.discogs.com/Paul-Johnson-...n/release/1612

Like some of K alexi's stuff, but he never had the beef of johnson, different kettle of fish for me

The Demon Beast

I know which one your talking about, the one that Junior Sanchez sampled for his ep on Strictly Rhythm as well! With the popping sound.
    Wetworks

Junior Freak

what to do is class

M.O.D.

Quote Originally Posted by wrong View Post
    That whole ep, trax on the rocks (1) is such a perfect record... still play one track of that ep in every (dancefloor) set i play.. and the beauty is that there are 4 Corkers on it to choose from and they're all absolute set makers!.. i go in waves , was caining what to do again a few months ago, currently i'm back round to the discoey one that Urban ripped off for his 'bang that shit up' track ;)
    +1

BOA Mod

+1 for all that dopeness.

Honest and jacking tracks that'll fill any set with beaty goodness.