Welcome to the Blackout Audio Techno Forums :: Underground Network.
Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345
    Ultimate Freak

Quote Originally Posted by Stella Boy
    On the subject of U.S scene - does anyone know if the European DJ's booked to play over there reduce their fees ?
    I think they actually try and raise their prices. I've heard of huge names in Europe trying to get more for crappy gigs in the states than they usually do in Europe. I guess it varies from performer to performer though.

Junior Freak

:lol:

good luck getting anyone to pay higher prices

Ultimate Freak

over here in scotland the techno scene is amazing.......

lots of free partys over the summer, thers about 5 techno nights running in edinburgh...

each one is doing pretty well with numbers and bringing some good guests, local and outsiders...

the folk that come are up for it to say the least....gotta be said the scottish crowds are amazing...

Some good producers about to and a few are getting out in the shops with decent success.......good few live acts aswell.

Overall id say the techno scene about here is slowly growing.....its all good.

Junior Freak

Quote Originally Posted by gumpy green
    over here in scotland the techno scene is amazing.......

lots of free partys over the summer, thers about 5 techno nights running in edinburgh...

each one is doing pretty well with numbers and bringing some good guests, local and outsiders...

the folk that come are up for it to say the least....gotta be said the scottish crowds are amazing...

Some good producers about to and a few are getting out in the shops with decent success.......good few live acts aswell.

Overall id say the techno scene about here is slowly growing.....its all good.
    Good to see. I remember back in 1999/2000 when it was booming as well and it looked like Edinburgh would become a real techno stronghold. Then it kind of died away a little bit, I know a lot of people I used to see out and about got quite disillusioned with it all. Been hearing good reports over the last 18 months though!

Ultimate Freak

Good to see. I remember back in 1999/2000 when it was booming as well and it looked like Edinburgh would become a real techno stronghold. Then it kind of died away a little bit, I know a lot of people I used to see out and about got quite disillusioned with it all. Been hearing good reports over the last 18 months though
    yeh it did take a bit off a dip but over the last year or so edinburgh has really boomed with techno, its great to see.

i remember going to lost(now dogma) a year and half ago as was prob about 300-500 folk, ther now hittin 900 regularlly..

can only be good...

take it your not up in edinburgh much now??
    [/quote]

Junior Freak

Chicago, IL USA

I have a slightly diff opinion. People like Rich Hawtin and T Raumschmiere will always get a good response. I think the scene is healthy when the locals (palomo, vega, knee, apocolypse, etc..) get as good a response, and the crowd is there for the music rather than just the special occassion that can't be missed.

I'm new here, so maybe I'm jaded, but also, it's all clubland here. Besides smartbar and emptybottle its all about $10 drinks, bad lighting, etc. Not much of an underground scene. Also, to me, when a scene is healthy it lives for itself. Not just to catch a show like a movie, and then back to cubicle land.

But I grew up with the Detroit scene. An urban legend that lives up to it's status, so maybe I'm just a little spoiled, jaded, or a combination of both. FYI, it WAS a religious experience, just in case you're wondering! :P

d

Junior Freak

yeh it did take a bit off a dip but over the last year or so edinburgh has really boomed with techno, its great to see.

i remember going to lost(now dogma) a year and half ago as was prob about 300-500 folk, ther now hittin 900 regularlly..

can only be good...

take it your not up in edinburgh much now??
    900! Great stuff.

Nah, I lived in Edinburgh from 96-2000, moved down to London to go to uni and decided to stay down here. I can't remember the last techno night I went to in Edinburgh, possibly DJ Rush @Dogma in 2002. I've been back up a few times but got so many people to catch up with that checking out the clubs takes a back seat really. And now my folks have moved down to Somerset I don't know when I'll be back up next!

Got some great memories though, had some amazing nights at the likes of Apex, Pillbox, Resistance, Pure, Subtle Logic, Loop etc. Also the big free party out at Gullane in 2001, and all the quarry parties. The days of the third room in the Studios, there was some real messiness up there sometimes! :lol:

Ultimate Freak

900! Great stuff.

Nah, I lived in Edinburgh from 96-2000, moved down to London to go to uni and decided to stay down here. I can't remember the last techno night I went to in Edinburgh, possibly DJ Rush @Dogma in 2002. I've been back up a few times but got so many people to catch up with that checking out the clubs takes a back seat really. And now my folks have moved down to Somerset I don't know when I'll be back up next!

Got some great memories though, had some amazing nights at the likes of Apex, Pillbox, Resistance, Pure, Subtle Logic, Loop etc. Also the big free party out at Gullane in 2001, and all the quarry parties. The days of the third room in the Studios, there was some real messiness up there sometimes! :lol:
    yeh but when it is 900 the studios is too rammed for my likin, 700 and its busy but still nice....

yeh i was ther at the rush night, he played some good hard techno but wasent that tight..... I had a great night tho...

If your ever up try looking out for a night at the venue called jakN(plug plug)....me and my mates run it and its turning into a very good night, always an electric atmosphere.....

Ah the free partys at yellow craigs....i missed the 2001 one but in 2002 and 2003 we had a rig ther.....absiloooootely brillent nights, amazing wether and just well off the hook,

and the quarrys are still going stong, but ther alot happening elsewher aswell now...

3rd room in the studios???never knew it was ther..

must be hidden now, ther just 2 upstairs down stairs....i cant see the studios lasting much longer, the fukers have benn building flats around it and now they have to limit the sound volume cos of complaints....its REALLY annoying-such a good club with a great vibe with shite sound...and ther building more flats i believe.......

Damm, same at the venue, think that will only have anuther 5years left, then were do we go??

Junior Freak

david bitterman....he's so bitter :lol:

BOA Lifetime Member

Quote Originally Posted by Dustin Zahn
    Quote Originally Posted by Stella Boy
    On the subject of U.S scene - does anyone know if the European DJ's booked to play over there reduce their fees ?
    I think they actually try and raise their prices. I've heard of huge names in Europe trying to get more for crappy gigs in the states than they usually do in Europe. I guess it varies from performer to performer though.
    . You'd think it would be the opposite. Maybe this increase includes flights

Junior Freak

"The Bitter Man EP" - coming soon lol

Junior Freak

yeh but when it is 900 the studios is too rammed for my likin, 700 and its busy but still nice....
    Yeah I can see why that'd be a pain, the Studios never had a load of space for chilling if need be. Especially when they changed the bar and seating area at the back, there was a lot more space before.

yeh i was ther at the rush night, he played some good hard techno but wasent that tight..... I had a great night tho...
    Was a good set, didn't really go anywhere except relentless though, lol. Bit of a weird atmosphere that night as well I thought, which is kind of what put me off going there again when I visited...thought I'd rather spend time with my mates and have a banter!

If your ever up try looking out for a night at the venue called jakN(plug plug)....me and my mates run it and its turning into a very good night, always an electric atmosphere.....
    Will do mate, I'm sure I'll be back up again sometime soon so I'll keep my eyes peeled. I keep meaning to go up for Access as my old mate Pyz has a hand in it and I haven't seen or spoken to him in donks.

Ah the free partys at yellow craigs....i missed the 2001 one but in 2002 and 2003 we had a rig ther.....absiloooootely brillent nights, amazing wether and just well off the hook,
    Haha, aye they were great eh? Techno booming out while people went up into the woods or looked out over the beach, drum & bass on the tennis courts...mental stuff, you'd see so many random people there as well who all turned out to know each other, that's what made them special.

and the quarrys are still going stong, but ther alot happening elsewher aswell now...
    Good to hear!

3rd room in the studios???never knew it was ther..
    Aye, when you come in you've got that bit to the left where you can get through to the main room, well if you turned left instead of right you followed a corridor round to a really narrow flight of steps. You went up those and there was a big chill-out area where people just sat on the floor, another set of decks to the right where they'd play all sorts, and a few stalls set up selling all sorts of random stuff. There was also the infamous big chair, haha

They closed it in 2001 I think, cos of the flats built opposite. Shame, there was a lot of randomness went on up there, those daft incidents that make a night ye know?

must be hidden now, ther just 2 upstairs down stairs....i cant see the studios lasting much longer, the fukers have benn building flats around it and now they have to limit the sound volume cos of complaints....its REALLY annoying-such a good club with a great vibe with shite sound...and ther building more flats i believe......
    Aye, it's a great club. They've been saying for 3 or 4 years it'll be closing down but I guess now it looks like it might well do. Can't believe they limit the sound now, but I guess as it's been developed around it they don't have a choice. Part of the appeal was how remote it was, that's a real shame.

Damm, same at the venue, think that will only have anuther 5years left, then were do we go??
    The great outdoors ;)

BOA Newbie

The scene in North wales is pritty good at the moment. Saying that it always has been. The welsh love techno!

The clubs are small and some are converted old barns having open fires in them!! (Hendra Hall) but the atmosphere is amazing!

There is Time/Amser in Bangor where MarkEG has played a fair few times. We had Adam Beyer n all a long time ago. (Think his production has gone soft at the mo!!)

Funk D'Void also played in Manipulate in Hendra Hall which was nice.

There are other nights held in areas such as swallow falls. The Tech Fest!
    Zig Zags is a lil crusty party that goes on if you want to get totally distroyed and party for a few days!

its not too bad here in Wales for techno!

BOA Newbie

[cite]But i think that's is a good thing and hopefully we keep it that way. It's better for the quality of the partys[/cite]

:clap: :clap:

100 % agree with this opinion!!! Techno must be keeping small and not such as Hardstyle.. The Dutch Techno lovers know what i mean..

Junior Freak

Quote Originally Posted by AcidBastard
    Quote Originally Posted by davethedrummer
    sorry to read the u.s. posts.
    i know how it is over there it's just so damn expensive to fly anyone from europe . but more than that kids are just so fickle over there. they don't hang in there and grow up with the music ( except a few of course)
    i reckon it's the lack of good radio that's the problem there.
    it's just hour upon hour of hip hop and rock. ( that's gotta hurt.)
    Henry, I saw a couple of flyers here in Cali about a year or so back, and I really wanted to go, but it was a 21 and over type deal. Anyways, how did the people like/react to your sets? I had a friend who went to a party and you and I think Chris Liberator were playing, and he said you guys didn't even get half way through your set, then the crowd kinda just walked off the dance floor because they weren't used to the type of music EVERYONE else absolutely loves.

I think the US has a lot of catching up to do and people should really stop being so closed minded about music they never heard. Year after year the electronic scene has evolved to new directions, you'd think people in the states would embrace that change. But I guess only time can when the kids over here will stop being closed minded and realize that techno/acid techno has a lot of energy and if given the chance, could really change the scene over here.... I just hope I am not dreaming hehe ;)
    ya the US is so out of touch with Electronic music (never mind TECHNO).
    big deal we have DEMF. i dont even enjoy 90% of the people playing it anyway. No radio play, the government has its stong views on the scene and people are puppets of MTV and mainstream radio. GET ME OUT OF HEREEEEEEEEEE!!!!!!!!!!!1 :roll:

Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345