Welcome to the Blackout Audio Techno Forums :: Underground Network.
Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast
    Junior Freak

Default Re: Whats your techno scene like?

Quote Originally Posted by PDT
    Hi guys/gals/lovers of the bang!

Just interested to see what the scenes are like abroad...is it all hard and banging? Is it a combination of "hardstyle" and techno?

Melbourne, for instance, is interesting to say the least! Hardstyle or Hard House *or, umm, shrugs* is pretty much at the forefront, although lately, we have played host *and tried* to cross genre things to lure the kids to the harder sounds of techno and it seems to be working...just a matter of time really...i plan to stage some strictly hard techno nights so hopefully the young party goers take to it...

But yea, very interested to hear what its like abroad...DSP has given me some insight into the Canadian scene, which is similar to ours here...

oh and i like this emoticon

*apologies if this has been posted already but "the new guy" is bound to put a foot wrong sometime right? ;) *
    Where I live, which is out in the boondocks of california, the scene used to be such a mad house of DJ's playing trance/house/jungle and other shit I don't even want to mention. So I finally got a couple of gigs, and the second I played my first record "HYDRO 9" the entire place was stunned to hear PROPER HARD/TRIBAL TECHNO. Then half way through the set, I dropped my 303 tracks, and the whole place went completely ape shit... No one has ever heard the hard underground acid techno sound in the area I live. Then the people with the soundsystems stopped throwing parties, and I haven't been able to get out and show the masses what techno is all about. But my next target is in the city, which is notorious for cheesy, progressive pretty shit trance... And once I leave my techno mark, I will be sure that everyone will be converted to the techno scene, and will definitally stay hard, and stay up forever
    P E A C E A C I D M A Y H E M

Prince Of Warthogs

well londons not as bad as some have said
    although it is mainly london residents who play on my scene , the music has been good and varied recently.
    in fact you can get away with a lot more here than some other places that i play that are still locked into that time warp of acid tchno or die .
    last weekend me and darc marc played final scratch at chemical warfare at the mass and i must admit to it being a really interesting night just for the fact that we had really new and unplayed tracks to play with.
    marcs set was fantastic and i had a good time too.
    most of all it went down well.
    as far as more commercial events go don't forget l.garnier at the end every month and antiworlds teknoworld room is getting more diverse artsists in such as the youngsters , liebing and dave clark are coming soon.
    i know you guys may have already seen them but the squat crowd haven't or the psy trancers so it'll be a fresh vibe for them and the crowd.
    so far valentino has rocked it the most and everyone loved him.

sorry to read the u.s. posts.
    i know how it is over there it's just so damn expensive to fly anyone from europe . but more than that kids are just so fickle over there. they don't hang in there and grow up with the music ( except a few of course)
    i reckon it's the lack of good radio that's the problem there.
    it's just hour upon hour of hip hop and rock. ( that's gotta hurt.)
    love your mum

BOA Lifetime Member

On the subject of U.S scene - does anyone know if the European DJ's booked to play over there reduce their fees ?

BOA Lifetime Member

Hometown, Preston,UK

Absolutely no techno scene at all! They tried a couple of bugged out nights featuring Green Velvet and Justin Robertson but the attendances were poor and it subsequently ended after 2 monthly events.

Ive lived in Liverpool though for the past 3 years and the techno scene has had its ups and downs. Voodoo was an amazing night when it was about,right up there with atomic jam as being the best techno night in the UK. Holds some great memorys. :clap:
    \"if you don\'t explode a few heads every night, then you\'re not doing your job\" R.Hawtin IDJ 2001

Junior Freak

Quote Originally Posted by davethedrummer
    i know how it is over there it's just so damn expensive to fly anyone from europe . but more than that kids are just so fickle over there. they don't hang in there and grow up with the music ( except a few of course)
    Henry, I saw a couple of flyers here in Cali about a year or so back, and I really wanted to go, but it was a 21 and over type deal. Anyways, how did the people like/react to your sets? I had a friend who went to a party and you and I think Chris Liberator were playing, and he said you guys didn't even get half way through your set, then the crowd kinda just walked off the dance floor because they weren't used to the type of music EVERYONE else absolutely loves.

I think the US has a lot of catching up to do and people should really stop being so closed minded about music they never heard. Year after year the electronic scene has evolved to new directions, you'd think people in the states would embrace that change. But I guess only time can when the kids over here will stop being closed minded and realize that techno/acid techno has a lot of energy and if given the chance, could really change the scene over here.... I just hope I am not dreaming hehe ;)

BOA Lifetime Member

Quote Originally Posted by davethedrummer

Here in Dallas,Texas there are a few shows, but for the most part it is #1 House #2DnB #3 Trance/progressive. That's about it. You know it's bad when Dave Clarke only gets 40-50 people. The same for Misstress Barbara. There are no weeklies period. This past year there have only been 4 or 5 worthwhile shows. There are even people advertising themselves as "techno" DJs when they play hard progressive.

The only radio that plays techno in the US is college radio and then that's usually late at night when we are out anyways. If I ever do hear electronic music on commercial radio, it's usually Cher remixes and ilk like that. When I mention that I am into techno people often say stuff like "Wake up man, the rave scene has been dead for years." Lame.

Junior Freak

it's just hour upon hour of hip hop and rock. ( that's gotta hurt
    your saying it..
    someone told me that when they went over to europe that you would hear the shit that (ugh i even dread to say hes from here) X-Dream plays here, on teh radio over there..even though his stuff is the mainstream of the underground here so to say, at least you guys got it on teh radio..
    every hour its the same loop of songs..back street boys and brittany spears..bleh!
    ...mindgame

HARD TECHNO MIX BELOW! woop woop
    http://www.hardmindproductions.com/M...e%20-%20LB.MP3
    AN OLDER MORE STRAIGHT UP TECHNO MIX
    http://www.hardmindproductions.com/S...minimalmp3.mp3

Junior Freak

Quote Originally Posted by AcidBastard
    I think the US has a lot of catching up to do and people should really stop being so closed minded about music they never heard. Year after year the electronic scene has evolved to new directions, you'd think people in the states would embrace that change. But I guess only time can when the kids over here will stop being closed minded and realize that techno/acid techno has a lot of energy and if given the chance, could really change the scene over here.... I just hope I am not dreaming hehe ;)
    Here in Northern California a lot of the kids who have been listening to "NRG" (Hard House) and trance for the past few years are starting to get stoked on the hard tribal techno sound. I would say that they aren't into the acid sound so much as driving tribal techno, which has energy like the NRG (hehe) but has a more developed and mature sound to it.

Junior Freak

Quote Originally Posted by mek
    Here in Northern California a lot of the kids who have been listening to "NRG" (Hard House) and trance for the past few years are starting to get stoked on the hard tribal techno sound. I would say that they aren't into the acid sound so much as driving tribal techno, which has energy like the NRG (hehe) but has a more developed and mature sound to it.
    I would seriously like to meet the crowd of jerks who aren't into tribal techno, and have them shipped off to a remote island. Because anyone who is uptight and strictly into the progressive pretty shit/NRG sound which california is diggin' right now, makes me want to start an underground movement and teach those bastards that tribal techno/acid techno is a force to be reckoned with. Sorry if I sound like an asshole, but it's my day off and I've had a few too many beers hahaha

But seriously, the only way to cause a mass music transition here in Cali, is to get every bedroom dj/underground tribal/acid techno dj together and leave a mark and impression on every kid who thinks they have heard everything. I have been to so many parties where every dj and every set sounds so similiar it's amazing no one has hired new acts to revamp the dance music scene. For **** sake, I envy everyone in the UK, because you guys are already in the loop, and know what I am talking about because every squat you goto, you get to hear DJ's play these amazing sets of techno. But I am going off on a tangent, so I think I'll finish this 12 pack and crank the new records I just got :bash:

The Demon Beast

lol lil angry mate? :lol:
    Wetworks
    Compound, Punish Blue, Mastertraxx

Ultimate Freak

techno in madrid is kool sometimes. we have a lot of the same shit over and over though and it is pretty saturated.... tokyo is cool too but again, only a few artists playing over and over and lots of big corporate sponsorships....

Junior Freak

Quote Originally Posted by AcidBastard
    I would seriously like to meet the crowd of jerks who aren't into tribal techno, and have them shipped off to a remote island. Because anyone who is uptight and strictly into the progressive pretty shit/NRG sound which california is diggin' right now, makes me want to start an underground movement and teach those bastards that tribal techno/acid techno is a force to be reckoned with. Sorry if I sound like an asshole, but it's my day off and I've had a few too many beers hahaha

But seriously, the only way to cause a mass music transition here in Cali, is to get every bedroom dj/underground tribal/acid techno dj together and leave a mark and impression on every kid who thinks they have heard everything. I have been to so many parties where every dj and every set sounds so similiar it's amazing no one has hired new acts to revamp the dance music scene. For **** sake, I envy everyone in the UK, because you guys are already in the loop, and know what I am talking about because every squat you goto, you get to hear DJ's play these amazing sets of techno. But I am going off on a tangent, so I think I'll finish this 12 pack and crank the new records I just got :bash:
    Oh damn! :lol: Yeah I understand your frustration.. they'll come around sooner or later.

Junior Freak

funny how the grass is always greener on the other side :lol:
    Viva La Funky Shitttt!!!!

djmaya@xtra.co.nz

BOA Newbie

well to expand on the LA techno scene a bit...

Droid Behavior in the past two years has certainly come a long way, lots of good parties with an intimate vibe (100-300 people), and a new record label with a couple releases out so far. Other LA labels include Automat, Global Trax, Hard Hat, Traxstars, and we'll be doing our first Heavy Industries records soon too. We have a few dedicated collectives trying to push techno in parties, releases, Internet, whatever... it's sure small considering the size of this city, but it also avoids a lot of mainstream interference that way too. All the DJs I've talked to who have played at techno parties out here have had great times. The techno crowd here is small but dedicated and supportive.

We have a monthly minimal techno night called Mixture which features people like Dan Bell, John Tejada, Magda, etc. and even the superclubs like Avalon and Spundae will occasionaly host the larger techno names like Beyer, Hawtin and Vath. So at least we have options out here - occasionaly - for where to see techno and who to see. Very rarely are there conflicting parties, actually the one party I threw out here back in February was the only time this happened (I had Geoff White & Tejada, they had Monolake, and one other guy had Liefhebber). So the good part about this is you are pretty much guaranteed to have no competition if you decided to do a techno event.

I see things getting bigger here over time - there is already some national recognition for Droid and the LA movement, well I should say "revival" cause techno used to be big here at one point in the 90s. It's really hard to get people interested again though because they already went through the crazy California rave years and are kinda burnt out on it. But it's fun because there are tons of talented 'newbies' out here just waiting to get exposed. I think LA will finally receive its place on the proverbial techno map in the months ahead.

Junior Freak

I would seriously like to meet the crowd of jerks who aren't into tribal techno, and have them shipped off to a remote island. Because anyone who is uptight and strictly into the progressive pretty shit/NRG sound which california is diggin' right now, makes me want to start an underground movement and teach those bastards that tribal techno/acid techno is a force to be reckoned with.

hehe too late :lol:

we got a similar ball rolling down here right now...so far so good :clap:

Junior Freak

PDT forgot to mention the acid tekno scene in melbourne - henry having been here nos its not much... and those who love it have no choice but to try and make it (**cheers to chris and collette**) the "commerical" scene dont take it the way we do, and the acid tekno djs that play at "Commercal" events dont play anywhere near as hard as they do to a crowd they no love acid tekno....... with virus gone and no more UPN parties..... shout out to itchy and krew for kicking on with 909.... coz in the end 909 is all the acid tekno melbourne has.....

IM MOVING TO LONDON!!!!

Junior Freak

on top of that above gripe........ melbourne does pretty much cater for any taste of music.... im just a one eyed acid tekno punk! :lol:

Junior Freak

There are several problems factoring into LA’s lack of techno...The main problem is (as NOS said) Cali peaked hard in the late 90's and its really crashed hard from it. Raves (weather Techno, House or Dnb) of 25k/30k people were almost every weekend... it was out of control. I was throwing 500 head underground techno parties in Venice every six weeks in 99' and I had to make it strictly invite only otherwise it would have melted down. (D.D.Drummer, you know the pad!!) However, more than any city I've been to in that time, LA's extacy use was out of control. Nobody saw the dark daze coming and in 2001-2002 night life hit the skids as the drug took its effects. It did not help that it also coincided with a work shortage as the entertainment industry hit the skids all around.

Overall LA has yet to really recover. Many of the old heads are still beat down or moved away. Myself I still prefer to be a hermit as well, although, its starting to well up inside me that its time to go back to my extroverted ways. LA being a transient city, new people are always coming though and who knows when the next up cycle will peak or if techno will even be a part of it. If it wants to be, it need to be innovative as people here really seek to be attached to new movements.

To go on the record.. Personally, I think the purist techno thing is done here. My prediction is that the next important wave will see breaks and techno colliding.

Junior Freak

not great but its growing. gettin better every weekend.

Junior Freak

Quote Originally Posted by GAMMA303
    not great but its growing. gettin better every weekend.

outdoor parties :clap: :clap:

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast