Welcome to the Blackout Audio Techno Forums :: Underground Network.
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    M.O.D.

Default Joris Voorn on the future of DJing

interesting interview

*Do you still beatmatch?
    No I don’t do any pitching at all. All my tracks have beat markers and the computer beatmatches for me.

*People say that’s not the true essence of DJing. Beatmatching is something DJs should do.
    What is the definition of DJing?
    That is a question that we, as a scene, are trying to answer now. I’ll admit it did feel quite awkward when I stood on stage for the first time after so many years of playing CDs and vinyl, and didn’t have to beatmatch. I suddenly had a lot more time on my hands. The weird thing is that people think DJing is beatmatching. But by letting the computer take care of timing, you can concentrate on the music.

*So what’s your definition of DJing?
    DJing is playing music for people. It is knowing what music to play, and when to play it. It’s about being creative with the music you play and making it your own. It’s about making people dance, that’s it. Some things about DJing will never change. For instance, it will always have to be done in real-time. You will always have to plan two or three records ahead.

*Couldn’t the computer just do it all? You could just turn up and press ‘play’?
    At the end of the day, you’re also there for your own fun. If you ever find yourself just pressing ‘play’ and not controlling the music in real-time, then you should probably find something else to do.
    Joris Voorn Interview About the Future of DJing | DMb | Dance Music blog
    The law is not the private property of lawyers, nor is justice the exclusive province of judges and juries. In the final analysis, true justice is not a matter of courts and law books, but of a commitment in each of us to liberty and mutual respect. - Jimmy Carter

Prince Of Warthogs

Really good answers aren't they?
    I know people moan and groan about the beatmatching thing
    but he's right, essentially a DJ has to be able to do his thing in real time
    and make those choices of tunes, and no, you can't program a computer to do it for you
    there's just too many variables, you have to be there selecting it yourself.

the old dub dj's never used to mix , in fact they normally only had one deck :
    play the vocal side
    play a silly noise with a wozzle ( sound fx ) box whilst flipping it over
    play the dub on the b side ( mc chats over the top at this point )

REWIND SELECTA !!!!!
    love your mum

Junior Freak

I essentially agree and i love a well done ableton/traktor set but i still think it's got ways to go as far as sound quality is concerned, and traktor/ableton mixes also tend to feel really stiff compared to nicely beatmatched mixes. Unless something really drastic happens, tempomapping/timestreteching/warping will always mean a loss in sound quality and i'm not a fan of how it tends to lock everything with an iron grasp to the tempo. its convenient but not very funky. Also, the fact that all the music (more or less) is being done on computers with digital plugins now means the highs are harsher then they were a decade ago, timestretching will only make this worse.

If you've got your gear in order, like summing through an allen & heath or something and knowing what fx generate evil highs and things like that, you can get things sounding pretty decent. that almost requires sound engineer/producer level skills though and most laptop djs wont have those. i've seen quite a few laptop sets that really fell short and i think we'll be seeing more of those in the future untill either experience or technology fixes that soundquality issue.
    Last edited by CTRLS; 26-11-2009 at 01:10 AM.

Junior Freak

I agree he made some very good points I'm turning to digital DJ'ing I know how to beat match & I know how to program a set I don't need to prove my self on the decks with vinyl

I'm looking forward to getting into digital DJ'ing as it looks like a lot of fun & looks very creative with what you can do with it

I know there is a lot of vinyl purists turn their noses up at digital DJ'ing saying it's not real DJ'ing or that it's cheating but it's best to let people like that get on with it as they will only get left behind

I'm starting to feel limited using vinly as there is loads of good music getting released that is digital releases only
    All u need is a good ear for music!

Junior Freak

I agree with most of what you've said Darkmode.

The last gig I played at, in feb, there were no turntables in the building. I had to struggle through my set on the latest pioneer cd decks which I'd only used once before.

I think these days, people should just try to ignore the format that people are playing music on & just judge the music on what they hear. If it sounds phat then it doesn't matter how the DJ is doing it. The last couple of parties I've been to the best set have been on the 1s & 2s funnly enough though.

The only slight consern I have is the cost of being a current DJ these days. Your looking at a couple of grand at least to get a Macbook, the software & hardware just to get started in digital. I just can't afford to spend that much on a hobby.
    Last edited by Igneous; 26-11-2009 at 02:06 PM.

It is inevitable.

Playing music for people who want to dance. Format is no issue any more really.
    Bás Ar An Impireacht

BOA Lifetime Member

Quote Originally Posted by Igneous View Post
    I agree with most of what you've said Darkmode.

The last gig I played at, in feb, there were no turntables in the building. I had to struggle through my set on the latest pioneer cd decks which I'd only used once before.

I think these days, people should just try to ignore the format that people are playing music on & just judge the music on what they hear. If it sounds phat then it doesn't matter how the DJ is doing it. The last couple of parties I've been to the best set have been on the 1s & 2s funnly enough though.

The only slight consern I have is the cost of being a current DJ these days. Your looking at a couple of grand at least to get a Macbook, the software & hardware just to get started in digital. I just can't afford to spend that much on a hobby.
    You don`t need a macbook
    A well set up pc will serve you just as well.
    I`ve never had my set up crash and I`ve been playing live pa`s for years.
    I am not here but my ghost still lingers

M.O.D.

i thought the interview was really interesting, and he has a major point to make...if you don't have to beatmatch anymore, why bother?

i get it and i agree, in many ways. most djs, particularly those who are concerned primarily with record selection and smooth mixes, are better served by digital media and technology than traditional turntable mixing. not beatmatching frees you to do a lot of other stuff, and to expand the experience you give the audience in many ways.

that said, there is a certain spontaneity and energy that i've only ever seen with a dj using turntables. jeff mills circa "live at the liquid room," derrick may when he's not bored, clade young, ben sims, etc. taking that "danger" out of the set saps the energy. so i think there will always be a place for traditional turntable mixing, and i will always get a special enjoyment out of seeing a truly masterful dj.
    The law is not the private property of lawyers, nor is justice the exclusive province of judges and juries. In the final analysis, true justice is not a matter of courts and law books, but of a commitment in each of us to liberty and mutual respect. - Jimmy Carter

Junior Freak

At the end of the day it don't matter what you use as long as you play good music & get people dancing

years ago when the electric guitar first came out people who played with acoustic guitar slated the electric guitar saying it wasent real guitar playing

also the same when the synthesizer came out people said music made with a synthesizer wasent real music

which is a bit simular to people who saying DJ'ing with a laptop isn't real DJ'ing

musical instruments & music technology has changed & moved forward through the years to which gives artists the tools to be more creative & I don't see anything wrong with it at tall!

Supreme Freak
    moreton/leasowe/secombe/new brighton/birkenhead/hoylake/west kirby/neston/meols/upton/ford/woody

Quote Originally Posted by Darkmode View Post
    At the end of the day it don't matter what you use as long as you play good music & get people dancing
    been saying this all along digital djing is where its going but vinyl is gettin phased out tho if you think beatmatchings important theres Digital Vinyl Systems if it aint then ableton alot of venues don t have 1210s anymore just cdjs
    Last edited by markandrew; 26-11-2009 at 08:47 PM.

BOA Lifetime Member

i find it hard to take anything he says seriously,considering he once was an excellent techno dj and now plays borderline house. and shit house at that.

Junior Freak

I think the guys very talented - frankly he can play how he likes - esp as he's probably playing a lot of his own productions anyway, in which case the lines between a dj set and a live PA are blurred.

However when I see Rithie Hawtin mixing on four decks with no headphones on just playing a bassline here and a beat there and f*cking about with effects (badly imo) it does make you wonder....but perhaps thats just Ritchies problem. :)

I've moved to Traktor scratch and there's no way I would go back, I use it in vinyl emulation mode so I'm still mixing live. The effects are good and also it's much cheaper as I'm only forking out for one track for £1.50 instead of 6 or 7 quid for maybe only one track I want. Also there's no problem with getting parcels delivered - just so much easier. I can spend ten or 15 quid and feel like I've got half a new record box.

@Igneous - I use a Dell laptop and once you tweak it (switch the wireless card off and play about with the latency) it works fine.

has anybody heard the rumours that Technics are stopping manufacturing of 1200's/1210's soon?

Junior Freak

Quote Originally Posted by basslinejunkie View Post
    i find it hard to take anything he says seriously,considering he once was an excellent techno dj and now plays borderline house. and shit house at that.

So basicly your saying you can't take him seriously because he don't play as much Techno as he used to?

if that is the case that is being a bit narrowed minded

would you take him more seriously if he was playing more Techno?

Junior Freak

Quote Originally Posted by lunatrick View Post

@Igneous - I use a Dell laptop and once you tweak it (switch the wireless card off and play about with the latency) it works fine.
    Cheers for the tip. I've got a Dell laptop, might have to look into getting some software & hardware. I had Final Scratch for a couple of years which was good but the software went haywire on my puter so I got rid.

BOA Lifetime Member

So basicly your saying you can't take him seriously because he don't play as much Techno as he used to?

if that is the case that is being a bit narrowed minded

would you take him more seriously if he was playing more Techno?
    basically yes. how can you take somebody seriously when they are following the money, rather than the love of what they do?

im not gona get into the minimal debate for the millionth time, but people like voorn,carrola etc used to make and play great techno,now they make and play sub standard shite.why? money.imo of course. whcih is fair enough, exploiting a new market,all got to earn a living etc.however that does mean i like the direction they have gone.

Junior Freak

Quote Originally Posted by Igneous View Post
    Cheers for the tip. I've got a Dell laptop, might have to look into getting some software & hardware. I had Final Scratch for a couple of years which was good but the software went haywire on my puter so I got rid.
    you do really need to dedicate the laptop to it to get the best setup...but even one a few years old should handle it esp. if you get the external audio-8 interface which is excellent.

M.O.D.

what someone plays and how they play it are two separate issues IMO.

years ago when the electric guitar first came out people who played with acoustic guitar slated the electric guitar saying it wasent real guitar playing

also the same when the synthesizer came out people said music made with a synthesizer wasent real music

which is a bit simular to people who saying DJ'ing with a laptop isn't real DJ'ing

musical instruments & music technology has changed & moved forward through the years to which gives artists the tools to be more creative & I don't see anything wrong with it at tall!
    interesting analogy. of course, acoustic guitars have remained relevant musically, so i'd argue traditional DJing will as well.

BOA Mod

Quote Originally Posted by lunatrick View Post
    has anybody heard the rumours that Technics are stopping manufacturing of 1200's/1210's soon?
    its not a rumour, manufacturing stops february 2010
    Jacbri @ Proton Radio - every 3rd Thursday at 12:00 AM EST / 05:00 GMT
    X-Music @ Techno.FM - every 1st Tuesday at 12:00 PM EST / 18:00 GMT

Junior Freak

So do digital DJs still want to have their own stuff released on vinyl? Seems to me that vinyl releases on quality labels (Token, Audio Assault, Naked Lunch, Warm Up, BOA of course) are still held in pretty high regard, an indication that the format is still holding its own.

BOA Mod

Quote Originally Posted by basslinejunkie View Post
    but people like voorn,carrola etc used to make and play great techno,now they make and play sub standard shite.why? money.
    i dont think its money. i think its natural that after xy years you are changing your approach towards music, your preferences etc, people change, and so is their music

and i wouldnt really call everything joris plays house music, there's plenty of techno in his sets, only slower

besides, so much music out there is so hard to categorise and if its good i dont really feel the need to do it anyway, i'll rather spend my time enjoying it... its really bad/sad to be limited to only electronic music, or even one subgenre... imo limited people shouldnt be dj-ing anyway

ps. interesting how people were hating on richie when he said his computer does beatmatching for him, but not a single word when joris mentioned it hehe
    Jacbri @ Proton Radio - every 3rd Thursday at 12:00 AM EST / 05:00 GMT
    X-Music @ Techno.FM - every 1st Tuesday at 12:00 PM EST / 18:00 GMT

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast