Welcome to the Blackout Audio Techno Forums :: Underground Network.

Thread: Mastering...

BOA Lifetime Member

Default Mastering...

I can't believe the amount of bad mastering that seems to be everywhere these days, spoiling otherwise decent tracks...

What the f**k is going on?
    Numeric

Junior Freak

give examples.

BOA Lifetime Member

Lifeform springs to mind...

Numeric

Ultimate Freak

personally i think half the problem is people like me.
    we have good ideas but not a clue how to prodcuer and what ends up are great concept tracks but poorly made

i guess thats the price thats paid for production technology becomming affordable (ie digital studios)

Junior Freak

Could be down to many things - quality of vinyl, quality of production, not just the cutting engineer.
    There is a learning curve as a producer putting stuff on to vinyl, I guess you learn subconciously what sounds good on your medium, and how to get the most out of it. Anyway, whilst bad cuts are frustrating, good music will always come through it. Look at old Mills stuff, or anything from Chicago pre 1995.

Ultimate Freak

curve pusher, can you hear me? the b2 track on reverse 02.... is this a joke? you obviously didnt listen to the thing before you pressed it.
    you are using a preset, no? Do me a favor please and LISTEN TO THE RECORD FIRST NEXT TIME.

Junior Freak

Haven't had any problems with Curvepusher, except for a recent mispress (due to track lengths more than anything). Sounded good, if I do say so myself.... ;)

Ultimate Freak

Attend the cut...
    Don't ok the TPs if you're not happy with them

It's good to get stuff cut with people you can work with, I always get Ash to cut my stuff at curved, as we work well together, and I can get him to do it exactly how I want it..

This is why you're always going to be better off running a label yourself, funding it yourself and overseeing eveything at every stage...

You can't really blame curved if you didn't have anyone attend the cut..
    they don't know how a record is supposed to sound, only the producer will truely know...

Junior Freak

Quote Originally Posted by crime
    It's good to get stuff cut with people you can work with, I always get Ash to cut my stuff at curved, as we work well together, and I can get him to do it exactly how I want it..
    Yeah, Ash is good.

The Demon Beast

Taking Notes......
    Wetworks
    Compound, Punish Blue, Mastertraxx

Supreme Freak

Is this thread about cutting tracks before pressing, or about mastering tracks at the recording stage?

A cutting engineer only has so much to work with. Attend the cut if you can or otherwise be specific in the instructions and let them know what you want. Before it gets to that stage, make sure the track sounds right in the first place. Do this BEFORE you record it. Changing things afterwards is far harder. Don't bother with buying some expensive mastering gear, just learn how to use EQ and set levels, it's easy and can be done on budget gear.

Ultimate Freak

Attend the cut...
    Don't ok the TPs if you're not happy with them

This is why you're always going to be better off running a label yourself, funding it yourself and overseeing eveything at every stage...

You can't really blame curved if you didn't have anyone attend the cut..
    they don't know how a record is supposed to sound, only the producer will truely know...

I NEVER APPROVED THE CUT. I never approved the testers i recieved and the "somehow" got cut. and the distorted highs are so obvious in the breakdowns on b2 it is retarded.

also, thanks for recycling the last 100 or so copies of gjs01 a week before we were set to ship. really nice of you!

Supreme Freak

Default Re: Mastering...

Quote Originally Posted by Numeric
    I can't believe the amount of bad mastering that seems to be everywhere these days, spoiling otherwise decent tracks...

And in answer to this question, it's probably got a lot to do with the number of people knocking out tracks after downloading some cracked software, 3 months after doing pills at their first party. No knowledge, no respect, no talent, just wanting to get their name on a record. People are releasing music before they have matured through their own experience and practice.

Ultimate Freak

Quote Originally Posted by deafmosaic
    the "somehow" got cut.
    that should read:

THEY "somehow" got cut.

Supreme Freak

Quote Originally Posted by ncw
    Yeah, Ash is good.
    You mean at Curved Pressings??
    OUT NOW:
    - Orlando Voorn & Juan Atkins "Game One (Ritzi Lee remix)" on Nightvision.
    - Cybernetics EP on Labrynth (Beatport release)

OUT SOON:
    - Black Noiz on Labrynth (vinyl release)

Junior Freak

Curvepusher, yeah.

BOA Lifetime Member

Default Re: Mastering...

Quote Originally Posted by death on a stick
    Quote Originally Posted by Numeric

And in answer to this question, it's probably got a lot to do with the number of people knocking out tracks after downloading some cracked software, 3 months after doing pills at their first party. No knowledge, no respect, no talent, just wanting to get their name on a record. People are releasing music before they have matured through their own experience and practice.
    Nah man...

I'm talking about established techno artists and and labels. All the recent Lifeform releases, although sounding like good enough tracks, just don't sound balanced correctly. It's not something that you can sort with the gain controls on the mixer either. It's like you can't even use the records because the sound quality is so poor...

Numeric

Ultimate Freak

Personally, if stuff is going on to vinyl, do as little mastering as possible, it's much easier for the cutting engineer to sort stuff out that hasn't been overly compressed..

@Deaf Mosaic: sounds like something very wrong is going on between your distributor and curved, there's no way that production can start until TPs are approved..

Supreme Freak

Quote Originally Posted by ncw
    Curvepusher, yeah.

Ohh curvepusher!
    Mt cuts are done by Lawrie.
    OUT NOW:
    - Orlando Voorn & Juan Atkins "Game One (Ritzi Lee remix)" on Nightvision.
    - Cybernetics EP on Labrynth (Beatport release)

OUT SOON:
    - Black Noiz on Labrynth (vinyl release)